Page 1 of 1

0.84 MacOS: Progress bar "Updating catalog" is stuck

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:47 am
by dandv
I have a folder with 66,000 files across a few hundred directories. I've deleted the thumbnails cache because the Categories were filled with tag spam that came from images outside that folder I wanted to focus on, and then I selected all that folder's files and directories in Browser, and ran View -> Update catalog from files.

The progress bar has been stuck at the very beginning of the progress bar for about an hour. Not even the slow digiKam should take that long.
Updating catalog stuck.png
Updating catalog stuck.png (10.54 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Anyway, can some more discrete progress indication be shown, so the user doesn't think XnView MP is stuck? For example, it could show "File X of Y" in the progress bar.

Also, XnView could just be stuck. I'm on Ubuntu, and `lsof | grep xnview" doesn't show any image files being open, only XnView.db and Thumb.db.

Re: "Updating catalog" is stuck

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:04 am
by dandv
Update: in the meantime the process finished, even though the progress bar was always stuck at that very beginning position.

So please definitely implement a more granular progress bar, maybe updated every 10 files to not spend too much time on the update itself.

Re: "Updating catalog" is stuck

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 pm
by CameronD
dandv wrote:Update: in the meantime the process finished, even though the progress bar was always stuck at that very beginning position.

So please definitely implement a more granular progress bar, maybe updated every 10 files to not spend too much time on the update itself.
I can confirm the very erratic progress bar, especially in v0.84.

In some tests (0.84) it has stayed stuck on zero for a long time (maybe 20 or 30 minutes), then I noticed it had jumped to 60%, I turned away briefly and when I turned back almost immediately it was finished.

My tests with v0.85 beta 1 indicated more even progress, although it is done with a small number of large jumps. I do not know if the differences between 0.84 and 0.85 beta 1 reflect actual improvement, or if it was just due to the different folders being scanned.

Re: "Updating catalog" is stuck

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:39 pm
by helmut
Thanks for your confirming dandv;'s problem, CameronD.

:arrow: Reproduced
CameronD wrote:... I do not know if the differences between 0.84 and 0.85 beta 1 reflect actual improvement, or if it was just due to the different folders being scanned.
@Pierre: Did you make changes in 0.85 test version that might have improved the behaviour of the progress bar?

Re: "Updating catalog" is stuck

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:07 am
by CameronD
I bit more information on the "progress" bar. I think I have seen why the results are different for different people.

The progress update only seems to happen when the scan goes to the next selected folder.
If I select 5 folders then I will see 5 steps. They are very uneven, because in that example, one folder has far more files than all the other folders combined.

If I select only a single folder, then the progress bar never updates until the end.

This seems to be unchanged in 0.85 beta1.

Re: "Updating catalog" is stuck

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:11 am
by helmut
CameronD wrote:... The progress update only seems to happen when the scan goes to the next selected folder.
..
Thank you, CameronD, for investigating this more. Basing the progress bar on the number of files processesd instead of number of folders and regular updates (e.g. every 100 files) of the progress bar might solve this.

Re: "Updating catalog" is stuck

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:11 pm
by xnview
helmut wrote:
CameronD wrote:... The progress update only seems to happen when the scan goes to the next selected folder.
..
Thank you, CameronD, for investigating this more. Basing the progress bar on the number of files processesd instead of number of folders and regular updates (e.g. every 100 files) of the progress bar might solve this.
currently i can't make it on number of all files if you have many subfolders