Lossless crop errors

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

unplugged

Lossless crop errors

Post by unplugged »

Hello,

when I try to losslessly crop some of the images imported directly from Canon sx510hs, I get the error "An error has occured, the lossless rotation can`t be executed." With other images from this camera, it crops but to a seemingly random size. Please see attachment. Some images it crops just fine. I tried multiple SD cards, the same results. The problematic images display correctly and if I crop them normally {shift-x} and save recompressed that works just fine. I`m using the latest version of Xnviewmp.

Any ideas? Thank you.

V
Attachments
IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Lossless crop errors

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to newsgroup.xnview.com, V :-)

According to the EXIF metadata, the dimensions of your sample are supposed to be 4000×3000 pixels, but it's actually 3000×2090 :-?
unplugged

Post by unplugged »

Thank you for responding. I couldn`t upload images larger than two megs so I cropped them. They should still produce the errors mentioned though. Or I can upload the full size files somewhere else and post the links.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I was suspecting that XnViewMP's lossless cropping algorithm might have been confused by the conflicting values.
Yes, please upload an unprocesssed sample to a hosting site (preferably as ZIP or RAR archive, so the server won't mess with it).
unplugged

Post by unplugged »

Here goes the link: http://www.uschovna.cz/en/zasilka/KSXHIJRY7TCHC5RE-2LX/

With this image, depending on where you crop, xnviewmp either shows the error message mentioned or crops randomly.

Thank you for investigating :)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thanks for the sample! I'm able to reproduce the bug. (My guess would be that it's related to the EXIF orientation flag.) Hopefully this will soon be fixed.
unplugged

Post by unplugged »

Thank you for such a quick response. Looking forward to this being fixed as xnview is a tremendous application!

All the best,

V
unplugged

Post by unplugged »

As a workaround for now, I disabled the "Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag" in Settings>General. I rotate the images manually Ctrl+Shift+R and the cropping then works fine.

V
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

unplugged wrote:As a workaround for now, I disabled the "Rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag" in Settings>General. I rotate the images manually Ctrl+Shift+R and the cropping then works fine.
That confirms my suspicion! I've since posted another report (“Set selection ratio”) for a problem which is obviously related. Perhaps Pierre (the developer of XnView) will be able to resolve several issues by fixing one bug.
unplugged

Post by unplugged »

Hello,

in .83 the bug still exists. Any chance for correction any time soon?

Thank you,

V
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.85 beta 1. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Sample image can be found here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p138703

Confirmed fixed in 0.85 beta 1.
GeorgD

Re: Lossless crop errors: Related bug

Post by GeorgD »

Note: related but not same isse in viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38093&p=152655#p152655 for XnView MP 0.92
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP