0.84: Batch rename/name template issues

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Guinness

0.84: Batch rename/name template issues

Post by Guinness »

Hi,

I'm looking for hints and tips with the batch rename function. There are at least three things that may have some bugs (or I try to use them the wrong way).
  1. When using the batch rename feature i have the problem that the option "Create new name template when opening dialog" doesn't seem to work anymore. The checkbox is checked but the template always stays at #### no matter what file names my images have.
  2. Before I updated to v0.84 the name template feature worked though this function was working a bit different than I was used to coming from XnView Classic
    Example file names:
    2017.01 - 01 Visit to Paris.jpg
    2017.01 - 02 Visit to Paris.jpg
    2017.01 - 03 Visit to Paris.jpg

XnView Classic:
    Template: 2017.01 - ## Visit to Paris.jpg
    Start: 1

XnView MP
    Template: ####.01 - 01 Visit to Paris.jpg
    Start: 2017
    I think you can understand why I preferred the classic way... :)
  3. If I try to go through the history of all my name templates with the cursor down key I can only change between list entry 1 and 2 allthough there are more than 10 entries in the dropdown box. Is this a bug or am I missing a special hotkey?
Thank you for your help!
helmut

Re: 0.84: Batch rename/name template issues

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your detailed and good problem report, Guinness, which made reproducing your bugs easy. :-)

I can confirm both problems:
1 - Wrong automatic name template for filenames with dot character / Difference in automatic name template to XnView Classic :bugconfirmed:
From what I can see, the automatic name template generation has problems with the dot character (.). When renaming your files everything works fine:
2017-01 - 01 Visit to Paris.jpg
2017-01 - 02 Visit to Paris.jpg
2017-01 - 03 Visit to Paris.jpg

2 - Only two entries of drop down list are selectable using cursor down/up keys. :bugconfirmed:
As a workaround you might press "F4" to open the dropdownlist and then select an entry using the cursor keys.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 1062 for details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.85 beta 1. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Hello Pierre!

I just retested the issues using 0.85b1:
1. When using the batch rename feature i have the problem that the option "Create new name template when opening dialog" doesn't seem to work anymore. The checkbox is checked but the template always stays at #### no matter what file names my images have.
This is working now flawlessly! THX.
Before I updated to v0.84 the name template feature worked though this function was working a bit different than I was used to coming from XnView Classic
This issue vanished, too! THX again.
If I try to go through the history of all my name templates with the cursor down key I can only change between list entry 1 and 2 allthough there are more than 10 entries in the dropdown box.
Sadly this problem persists :(.

THX for your good work!
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you very much for checking and your reporting back, Guinness.
Guinness wrote:...
If I try to go through the history of all my name templates with the cursor down key I can only change between list entry 1 and 2 allthough there are more than 10 entries in the dropdown box.
@Pierre: Do you want a new bug report for this remaining problem?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:Thank you very much for checking and your reporting back, Guinness.
yes please another bug report
Pierre.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

helmut wrote:Thank you very much for checking and your reporting back, Guinness.
Hi Helmut,
as the above issue is not fixed yet I wondered if you ever filed a bug report because I couldn't find any about this topic in MantisBT. I know this isn't a really important bug with a high priority but as I use the rename feature on a regular basis I thought I could check if there were any fixes.
Thanks for your help!
Andy
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Guinness wrote: as the above issue is not fixed yet I wondered if you ever filed a bug report because I couldn't find any about this topic in MantisBT. I know this isn't a really important bug with a high priority but as I use the rename feature on a regular basis I thought I could check if there were any fixes.
please create a new post and describe the problem
Pierre.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Okay, I will do.