0.84: "Compare window" without Tabs

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

tboy

0.84: "Compare window" without Tabs

Post by tboy »

I don't use tabs in xnViewMP. Open Compare window -then close it >>> it is equal to Exit xnViewMP.
In xnView Classic - Compare is a separate window and closing it is not equal to close the program. It have to be same in xnViewMP.

( Tabs together with Menu, Toolbar and SmallTollbar and Title bar are taking about 3.2cm (of available 18,6 cm) on my 15,6 inch laptop, plus Status bar ............ above 20% of the screen height, this is too much.
That's why I insist on importance of making all toolbars,menu and side panels with auto-hide function (if possible).
Another option is Tabs to go in Title bar as in Firefox.
Toolbar has extra space above and below icons - it is not needed, in dark theme this space is reduced and toolbar looks better.)
Last edited by tboy on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: "Compare window" without Tabs

Post by XnTriq »

You can deactivate Closing last tab exits XnView (ToolsSettings...InterfaceTabs).
tboy

Post by tboy »

"Closing last tab exits XnView" was checked on my configuration, after unchecking it is same:
Exit Compare = Exit xnViewMP.
Compare is not the "Last tab" if tabs are active. Looks like problem is that Compare is not opening separate window ???
(xnViewMP 64 bit with INI file inside xnView folder - Windows 8.1 64bit)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

OK, now I've been able to reproduce it :bugconfirmed:
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: 0.84: "Compare window" without Tabs

Post by m.Th. »

The sad thing is that space exists. Just that it is wasted. Usually we have horizontal widgets due of various reasons. However nowadays the screens are wide - much wider than a photo. Photos are usually 3:2 (or more rarely 4:3) while the screens are 16:9 (more rarely 16:10).

The solution is to to have the possibility to have vertical widgets:

- Vertical Tabs : Add a new menu (or two?) entry(ies) in the menu View | Tabs called Left (and Right) - personally I'd prefer Right. No need for custom rendering if it is hard. We have already in the docking engine such tabs.
- Vertical Toolbar option in Compare Window which should be persisted through sessions. Add this option directly in the Compare Window at bottom next to Thumbnails.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

For the OP:
Toolbars in Browser and Viewer can be (re)docked vertically. They have a small handle at the left from which you can drag them and position where you like.
Toolbars in Compare Window and Full-Screen not
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
tboy

Post by tboy »

m.Th. wrote:For the OP:
Toolbars in Browser and Viewer can be (re)docked vertically....
There is little problem with vertical docking of toolbar (my custom one) - if docked vertically and I make some changes in "settings" the toolbar jumps back to default horizontal position after closing the 'settings window' with OK. I have mention this in another thread but this "problem" still exist.

(BTW using 'Thumbnails view only" is giving strange results if you have some previous changes in layout. For example - my layout is (left to right) Tree view-Thumbnails window-Preview pane ( everithing else is deactivated, panels titles are hidden). Try to hide tree or preview and then click few times on 'Thumbnails view only" (the custom button from customization of toolbar) - it will cycle trough different layouts - not only the last one.)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

tboy wrote:"Closing last tab exits XnView" was checked on my configuration, after unchecking it is same:
Exit Compare = Exit xnViewMP.
Compare is not the "Last tab" if tabs are active. Looks like problem is that Compare is not opening separate window ???
(xnViewMP 64 bit with INI file inside xnView folder - Windows 8.1 64bit)
how do you exit compare window?
Pierre.
tboy

Post by tboy »

xnViewMP without tabs, select 2 files and click Compare in menu.
Compare window will open (it is not second window together with main appl window as in xnViewClassic , but only Compare !),
there is only one way to close this window - by "X" button on top-right corner. This is equal to - exit xnViewMP.
Last edited by tboy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

tboy wrote:xnView without tabs, select 2 files and click Compare in menu.
Compare window will open (it is not second window together with main appl window as in xnViewClassic , but only Compare !),
there is only one way to close this window - by "X" button on top-right corner. This is equal to - exit xnViewMP.
you press CTRL key to not have a dialog, right? in this case, the 'X' button is the close button for app
Clipboard-1.jpg
Pierre.
tboy

Post by tboy »

the 'X' button is the close button for app - Yes, is there any other way to close this window - I think NO.
But I don't press Ctrl- why to press it and what dialog ? I just select 2 files and go to menu>tools>compare or from my toolbar.
Again TABs are NOT in use.

P.S.
Ok - there IS another way to close Compare - by pressing Esc key on keyboard, and in this case Compare window will close and Main window is available as it has to be.
But Pressing the "X" with mouse on Compare = Exit xnView.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

sorry about CTRL key, so without tabs, you have only ESC to close the compare window
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:sorry about CTRL key, so without tabs, you have only ESC to close the compare window
If "Esc" closes the Compare window and returns to the browser, why doesn't [x] also close the Compare window and return to the browser?
tboy

Post by tboy »

xnview wrote:sorry about CTRL key, so without tabs, you have only ESC to close the compare window
Only Esc key is closing the 'Compare' window properly (returning to Browser), but pressing [X] button will not return to Browser, it will exit the program - I think this is a bug.
Pressing [X] button on 'Compare' must return to Browser, as it is in xnViewClasic.
Last edited by tboy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

tboy wrote:Only Esc key is closing the Compare window properly (returning to Browser), but pressing [X] button will not return to Browser, it will exit the program - this is a bug.
Yes, tboy, I also think that this is a bug (see my previous post).