Recursive mode and Synchronize Browser

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

HanVroon

Recursive mode and Synchronize Browser

Post by HanVroon »

Hello all,

Sometimes I like to be in Recursive mode, viewing photos of my collection in a tree.
I have all the photos ordered by date in the Browser and I open photos here and there from several subfolders.

As soon as I decide to close one tab, the recursive mode is gone and the Browser shows the files in the folder where the just closed file resides.

Just short ago I found out that this behaviour can be switched off with the option Interface, Interface tab, "Synchronize browser when view is closed". Toggling this option off keeps recursive mode active, as long as you don't select a folder in the Folders pane, which makes sense.

It would be nice if Recurive mode would be a mode seperate from the setting "Synchronize browser when view is closed".

Synchronize browser when view is closed toggles the behaviour that when a tab is closed, the Browser will show the contents of the folder where the file resides which tab was just closed.
That is OK and a nice option at times.
The only thing I don't like about that option is that with every tab that is closed, the Browser tab becomes active. I would like that one of the other tabs would get active if there are more files opened, like in Classic.
The only way to make the interface not switch to the Browser after closing a tab while other files are opened as well, is to turn off Syncronise browser.
It would be nice if the Browser would Synchronize on the folder and have the file selected that was just closed, without also making the Browser tab active. Then the Browser tab would only become active after the last tab with opened file was closed.

The other thing is that the Synchronize browser toggle also affects Recursive mode.
The only way to stay in Recursive mode after closing a tab is to switch off Synchronize browser.
I think that the Synchronize browser setting (checked or unchecked) should not affect Recursive mode.
Synchronize browser is a setting, Recursive mode is a temporary condition (not saved in the ini).

I investigated how Recursive mode works in Classic.
Classic will stay in recursive mode no matter if tabs are closed or not.
In Classic the recursive mode will only end if a subfolder is selected in the tree pane, or F5 is pressed with the main folder selected in the tree pane.
That is a good option I guess.

So, in short, my suggestion would be:
- Synchronize the Browser to show the contents of the folder where the just closed file resides, but not activate the Browser tab as long as other files are opened in tabs (this one is a matter of taste, so other opinions may exist, not a big problem if it stays the way it is).
- If Recusrsive mode is activated by right-click in the Folders pane and selecting Show all files (recursive) or by click on the toolbar button "Show files in subfolders", stay in recursive mode untill a subfolder is selected in the Folders pane, which would turn off Recursive mode. Maybe the toolbar button could stay in a "pressed" shape as well, but the recursive mode should not be remembered when closing XnViewMP I think. Just during a session (this is something everyone could like because it doesn't affect anything else).

Kind regards,
Han
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Recursive mode and Synchronize Browser

Post by xnview »

Thanks to your detailed description, i'll change it.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.89. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Thanks Pierre, the recursive mode works well in 0.89 beta 2.
It stays active as long as no folder is clicked or the button is de-activated.

Would it also be possible to change te effect of the "Synchronize browser when view is closed" option?
The behaviour now is that when the option is checked, every time a tab is closed the Browser tab becomes active, even if other files are opened on tabs.
It would be nice if one of the other tabs with opened files would become active when closing one tab.
Then after the last tab with opened file is closed, then show the Browser with the last closed file selected (synchronized).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

HanVroon wrote: The behaviour now is that when the option is checked, every time a tab is closed the Browser tab becomes active, even if other files are opened on tabs.
it's not like that in 0.88??
Pierre.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Yes, with "now" I mean how it works in XnViewMP in general, so also in 0.88.
The recursive mode works perfect now.

I would like to keep "Synchronize browser when view is closed" switched on, but would like to see that not every time a tab is closed the Browser tab becomes active, but one of the other tabs with opened files. Like if Synchronize browser was switched off.
Than, when the last tab is closed and the Browser becomes active automatically, then the file of the last closed tab becomes selected (if I understand richt, that's what Synchronize browser does, selecting the folder and file of the closed tab?)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

HanVroon wrote:Yes, with "now" I mean how it works in XnViewMP in general, so also in 0.88.
The recursive mode works perfect now.

I would like to keep "Synchronize browser when view is closed" switched on, but would like to see that not every time a tab is closed the Browser tab becomes active, but one of the other tabs with opened files. Like if Synchronize browser was switched off.
Than, when the last tab is closed and the Browser becomes active automatically, then the file of the last closed tab becomes selected (if I understand richt, that's what Synchronize browser does, selecting the folder and file of the closed tab?)
ok, so please make a request
Pierre.
DavidGDFC

Post by DavidGDFC »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if I should have created a new thread.

My issue regards recursive mode. I use it to view all the files in a structure of folders and subfolders, and when I rename a file (or maybe delete the EXIF metadata of a file), recursive mode turns off and I have to turn it on again. Is there a way to keep recursive mode on, no matter what I do, unless I turn it off manually or I switch to another folder?

Thank you and keep up the good work: XnView MP is great piece of software!
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

DavidGDFC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:26 pm Is there a way to keep recursive mode on, no matter what I do, unless I turn it off manually or I switch to another folder?
I think you have a point, I never tested it because I only use Recursive mode for viewing.
But since this bug report has the status Closed, it is better to create a new bug report.