0.85b4: PDF files (and others?) abort Fullscreen

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

arspr

0.85b4: PDF files (and others?) abort Fullscreen

Post by arspr »

XnView: MP 0.85 64 bit

When in Fullscreen, pdfs cause XnView to go to Browser. (Maybe other "unsupported" file types too?. No time for more tests, going to bed).

Effect: Unexpected behaviour.

To reproduce:
1. Go to a folder with mixed files which contains at least pdfs. (Suppose you have A.jpg, B.jpg, C.pdf and D.jpg).
2. Go to Fullscreen in A.jpg.
3. Advance twice (A.jpg -> B.jpg and then B.jpg -> ?)

Actual behaviour (bug): Fullscreen ends. You return to Browser view.

Expected behaviour: C.pdf should be jumped if it's not supported by Fullscreen viewer. D.jpg should be shown.

Re: 0.85b4: Pdfs (and others?) abort Fullscreen

Post by helmut »

I can confirm: As soon as there is a non-image file in the file list XnView will exit viewer or fullscreen mode and return to browser when reaching the end of the file list. :bug:

Note: This problem has been introduced in 0.85 beta. It did not occur in 0.84.

:arrow: Reproduced
helmut

Re: 0.85b4: Pdfs (and others?) abort Fullscreen

Post by helmut »

Attached please find a ZIP archive with sample files to reproduce the problem.

1. Unpack the ZIP archive into a new sub folder. The ZIP archive contains three JPG images and a DLL file.
2. EDIT: Activate "Show Parent folder" in "Settings: Browser » File list | Custom filter"
3. Browse this folder with XnView
4. Select all files in the folder
5. Open "Fullscreen" using context menu (Please note that "Fullscreen" is sometimes disabled. If this is the case deselect an image and select it, again).
6. In Fullscreen use PageUp / PageDn to navigate through the selected images.
--> When reaching first image XnView exits the fullscreen mode and displays the browser, again.

Notes:
In my case the DLL sample file isn't needed, the "Parent folder" is enough to produce the problem.

To me it looks as if there are several bugs in the file list. One bug is the way that the entries "Open" and "Fullscreen" are enabled/disabled: Sometimes these menu items are enabled although a non-image file is selected and sometimes not. It looks as if the sensitiviy of these menu items depends on the sequence you select the files in the browser.
Attachments
small.zip
(98.48 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
helmut

Re: 0.85b4: PDF files (and others?) abort Fullscreen

Post by helmut »

I've just tried a bit more and packed a set of files which (I think) show the problem of the original poster.

1. Unpack the attached ZIP archive into a new sub folder. The ZIP archive contains three JPG images and two PDF files.
2. Start XnView and browse this folder
3. Open first image in viewer or Fullscreen
4. Press PageDn key to navigate to the next image
Actual behaviour (bug): XnView exits the fullscreen mode and displays the browser, again. :bug:

Expected behaviour: XnView should display the next image file which is sample-3.jpg.
Attachments
small-2.zip
(130.16 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:I've just tried a bit more and packed a set of files which (I think) show the problem of the original poster.

1. Unpack the attached ZIP archive into a new sub folder. The ZIP archive contains three JPG images and two PDF files.
2. Start XnView and browse this folder
3. Open first image in viewer or Fullscreen
4. Press PageDn key to navigate to the next image
Actual behaviour (bug): XnView exits the fullscreen mode and displays the browser, again. :bug:

Expected behaviour: XnView should display the next image file which is sample-3.jpg.
I can reproduce only if ghostscript is not installed
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:I can't reproduce, please send me you .ini
I've attached xnview.ini. Please note that I started with a clean xnview.ini so I much doubt that there is any special setting. Please note that I don't have Ghostscript installed so this might be a difference.
Attachments
xnview_configuration.zip
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

With 0.84, you have a blank image (error). In 0.85, when file can't be loaded, fullscreen is closed
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:With 0.84, you have a blank image (error). In 0.85, when file can't be loaded, fullscreen is closed
What is the error? Pierre, this is wrong behaviour in 0.85: Non-image files must be simply skipped (isn't this what XnView Classic does?). Only when the viewer's file list is completely empty due to deletions the fullscreen / viewer mode must be exited (see http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p138699)

EDIT: I just tried with XnView Classic and it displays both the JPG and the PDF files (using Ghostscript) on this Windows 7 machine. No error and problems at all.
Last edited by helmut on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:With 0.84, you have a blank image (error). In 0.85, when file can't be loaded, fullscreen is closed
What is the error? Pierre, this is wrong behaviour in 0.85: Non-image files must be simply skipped (isn't this what XnView Classic does?). Only when the viewer's file list is completely empty due to deletions the fullscreen / viewer mode must be exited (see http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p138699)
it's not already the case in 0.84, so i can't change now, it's too late. This problem is introduce by http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=138699
EDIT: I just tried with XnView Classic and it displays both the JPG and the PDF files (using Ghostscript) on this Windows 7 machine. No error and problems at all.
The same with XnViewMP
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:it's not already the case in 0.84, so i can't change now, it's too late. This problem is introduce by http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=138699
Hmm, a new and serious bug introduced in 0.85. That's no good at all and I think the 0.85 shouldn't be released until this has been fixed.
xnview wrote:The same with XnView MP
No, not the same as XnView Classic: XnView MP 0.85 b4 doesn't display the PDF files. It just exits (see above bug report).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:The same with XnView MP
No, not the same as XnView Classic: XnView MP 0.85 b4 doesn't display the PDF files. It just exits (see above bug report).
here i can't reproduce, only when ghosctscript is uninstalled so PDF file can't be loaded
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:here i can't reproduce, only when ghosctscript is uninstalled so PDF file can't be loaded
Perhaps another problem: On the same Windows 7 PC XnView Classic displays the PDF files while XnView MP doesn't. I'll create a separate bug report for this.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:here i can't reproduce, only when ghosctscript is uninstalled so PDF file can't be loaded
Perhaps another problem: XnView Classic displays the PDF files while XnView MP doesn't. I'll create a separate bug report for this.
XnViewMP x64bits display PDF file if you have installed ghostscript x64bits
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:XnViewMP x64bits display PDF file if you have installed ghostscript x64bits
Ah, right. I've just installed 0.85 beta 3 32-bit and PDF files are displayed.

For now, same behaviour as 0.84 is o.k.. But in mid-term the grey "ghost" images should be avoided. Either by skipping the non-image files or non-readable files or by having some graphic that is displayed and clearly indicates what the situation is.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:For now, same behaviour as 0.84 is o.k.. But in mid-term the grey "ghost" images should be avoided. Either by skipping the non-image files or non-readable files or by having some graphic that is displayed and clearly indicates what the situation is.
i agree, need to search the next good image file like XnView Classic
Pierre.