New dialog "Offset" - User Interface

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

helmut

New dialog "Offset" - User Interface

Post by helmut »

In XnView 0.94 beta the "Offset" dialog has been added. Below please find a draft various suggestions to improve the dialog.

Current (0.94 beta 1):

Draft:

Following changes have been made in the design of dialog:
- Label "Apply to original" --> "Apply to image"
- Coordinate system: Down is negative and Up is positive (just like the coordinate system of XnView).
- Labelling of sliders
- Sliders are aligned (i.e. the center is underneath each other)
- Added buttons to reset to default (0).

Additional suggestion(s):
Dynamic min/max values:
Currently, the min / max values are fixed (6000).
Suggestion: Use dynamic min/max values depending on the width / height of the image. --> Horizontal slider on the very right is 100% offset to the right, vertical slider on the very right is maximum (100%) to the bottom.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: New dialog "Offset"

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:21 pm In XnView 0.94 beta the "Offset" dialog has been added. Below please find a draft various suggestions to improve the dialog.
Thanks!
- Label "Apply to original" --> "Apply to image"
If i change it for this dialog, it will be changed for all dialogs...
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Please also consider m.Th.'s suggestion when changing this dialog, Pierre:
m.Th. wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:45 pmYou really need to put in the Horizontal and Vertical widgets (Edit Spin Box and Sliders) as maximum value the 2xWidth and 2xHeight respectively.

You have now 6000 which could be too low and besides that we have the opposite extreme: for a very small image such high values produce problems for the „wrap around” option because it appears black instead of really wrapping around the image confusing the user. All these problems can be avoided by putting 2xH and 2xW there.
In addition to that, an option to switch between pixels and percent (as in the Resize dialog) would be welcome.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:10 am
helmut wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:21 pm- Label "Apply to original" --> "Apply to image"
In XnView Classic it say "Apply to image". "Original" is misleading - it sounds as if the original image (=file) is changed right away which is not the case.

m.Th. wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:45 pmYou really need to put in the Horizontal and Vertical widgets (Edit Spin Box and Sliders) as maximum value the 2xWidth and 2xHeight respectively. ...
Sounds pretty much like my suggsetion "Dynamic min/max values" above. :)

XnTriq wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:45 pm... In addition to that, an option to switch between pixels and percent (as in the Resize dialog) would be welcome.
+1
cday
XnThusiast

Re: New dialog "Offset" - User Interface

Post by cday »

In addition to Helmut's latest comments above:
xnview wrote: - Label "Apply to original" --> "Apply to image"

If I change it for this dialog, it will be changed for all dialogs...
But "Apply to image" is already widely used in 'MP, in Image > Adjust for example...
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:19 pm
m.Th. wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:45 pmYou really need to put in the Horizontal and Vertical widgets (Edit Spin Box and Sliders) as maximum value the 2xWidth and 2xHeight respectively. ...
Sounds pretty much like my suggsetion "Dynamic min/max values" above. :)
Sorry, I wasn't exactly very clear. My comment was meant to support your suggestion(s) by quoting m.Th.
It seems as though we all agree that XnView should (dynamically) use the processed file's dimensions ×2 as maximum.

@Pierre: Will this command also be availble as an action in Batch convert?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:19 pm
xnview wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:10 am
helmut wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:21 pm- Label "Apply to original" --> "Apply to image"
In XnView Classic it say "Apply to image". "Original" is misleading - it sounds as if the original image (=file) is changed right away which is not the case.
Ok, 'Apply to image' is back
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:45 am also be availble as an action in Batch convert?
yes already
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:45 am.. Sorry, I wasn't exactly very clear. My comment was meant to support your suggestion(s) by quoting m.Th.
Thank you, XnTriq, for your explanation. Your quoting m.Th. was helpful and I understood it as support, already.
XnTriq wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:45 amIt seems as though we all agree that XnView should (dynamically) use the processed file's dimensions ×2 as maximum.
Yes, we all do agree and from what I can see in beta 2 Pierre has changed this, already. :) Thank you, Pierre!
helmut

Re: New dialog "Offset" - User Interface

Post by helmut »

All issues have been resolved in beta 3 (or even earlier). Thanks, Pierre.