Photoshop Black and White

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Usil

Photoshop Black and White

Post by Usil »

Photoshop has a really useful Adjustment called 'Black & White' where it allows you to adjust the levels for each colour.

WlLEizN.jpg
WlLEizN.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 2840 times

Does anyone know a way to achieve the same result in XnConvert?

I know there is the 'change colour > greyscale' but that does not give control over the individual colours.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Photoshop Black and White

Post by xnview »

currently not available, but can be added
Pierre.
Usil

Post by Usil »

xnview wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:14 am currently not available, but can be added
Is there a feature request page somewhere?

don't know about anyone else but I would find this highly useful.
Usil

Post by Usil »

Why has this been moved to the XNView MP Bug reports forum? (just curious)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Usil wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 am Why has this been moved to the XNView MP Bug reports forum? (just curious)
Bugs & TODO list
Pierre.
Usil

Post by Usil »

Do you have a timeframe for when/if you are looking to add this B&W as an option?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Workaround: Extending XnView's capabilities by installing B/W Conversion by George Fournaris of photo-plugins.com
  • Total control over the tonal response of Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue and Magenta, and the intermediate hues.
    The user can boost each color's tonal response all the way up to white or limit it down to black, without affecting the other colors at all .
  • The plugin offers presets that accurately simulate the tonal response of the most popular b/w films.
  • The plugin can introduce a grain effect of controllable intensity and density.
  • An option to simulate the effect of color lens filters, with selectable hue and saturation is also available.
  • The user can also apply a toing effect of selectable color and intensity.
  • A brightness meter is displayed when the cursor is over the preview window
  • All settings can be saved in a parameter file to be available for future use.
  1. Download and extract ppc2bw.zip.
  2. Start XnViewMP and go to ImageAdobe Photoshop Plugin…Configure… to tell XnView where to look for Photoshop-compatible plug-ins (including ppc2bw.8bf).
Usil

Post by Usil »

Many thanks for the tip for installing that plugin but unfortunately, it does not show up in XnView.

I have copied it to a folder on the root of my C: drive but it does not show up in XnView.

I have also tried putting it into my Photoshop plugins folder but Photoshop tells me that it is unavailable on my system.

Do you know if this plugin needs to be able to run in Photoshop to work? It might be that my Photoshop version is too new?

I'm using the latest version of Photoshop (Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.0.2 20191122.r.57 2019/11/22: e3e4068e635 x64)
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Usil wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:55 am I have also tried putting it into my Photoshop plugins folder but Photoshop tells me that it is unavailable on my system.

Do you know if this plugin needs to be able to run in Photoshop to work? It might be that my Photoshop version is too new?

I'm using the latest version of Photoshop (Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.0.2 20191122.r.57 2019/11/22: e3e4068e635 x64)
No need for Photoshop...

Many thanks for the tip for installing that plugin but unfortunately, it does not show up in XnView.

I have copied it to a folder on the root of my C: drive but it does not show up in XnView.
You have followed XnTriq's instructions above to install in XnView MP, not tried to install in XnConvert?
Usil

Post by Usil »

Yeah, as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm trying to install in XnViewMP.
3qLTrAW - Imgur.png
No filter appears in XnView once I point to the folder where the plugin is located.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I only installed a Photoshop plug-in once, and several years ago, but I recall I found the process confusing, so it might be worth experimenting a bit more.

Otherwise perhaps XnTriq can help later... :D
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I think, from memory, that at the 'Configure' stage you need to browse to the folder containing the plug-in and select the plug-in...

Edit: I'm not sure whether you select the folder, or the plug-in (or plug-ins) in it, whichever they should then show in the XnView MP 8BF filters list.

I can't check on my Linux laptop, apart from the time factor.
Usil

Post by Usil »

cday wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:27 am I think, from memory, that at the 'Configure' stage you need to browse to the folder containing the plug-in and select the plug-in...

Edit: I'm not sure whether you select the folder, or the plug-in (or plug-ins) in it, whichever they should then show in the XnView MP 8BF filters list.

I can't check on my Linux laptop, apart from the time factor.
Thanks for the help. You just need to point it to the folder where the plugins are installed and it should see any compatible plugins. This is what I have done but it's not seeing the plugin.
Usil

Post by Usil »

OK, I part found the issue. I had XnViewMP 64 bit installed but that plugin is for 32bit.

I installed the 32bit version of XnView and now the plugin shows up but it crashes XnView as soon as I try and run it.

Ohh well :|
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

B/W Conversion @ XnViewMP x86 Windows
p159862_1.png (7.03 KiB) Viewed 2573 times

B/W Conversion @ XnViewMP x86 Windows<br />https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8fw5ine3zg1flj/BWMASTERY%20Visual%20Spectrum%20HSL-Array.tif
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8fw5ine3zg1flj/BWMASTERY%20Visual%20Spectrum%20HSL-Array.tif

Related: Crashes when I hit Adobe plugins