Navigate through images in random order (without creating a slideshow)

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

winnylinny

Re: Navigate through images in random order (without creating a slideshow)

Post by winnylinny »

This is GREAT! The best XnViewMP release in my opinion! :D :) :D 8)

I tested it out and it works as expected. I tried the following with success:
  • View > File > Random File
  • Clicking the Random File button from the Toolbar.
  • Creating a shortcut for Random File under the Viewer shortcuts, using CTRL + M

The above three methods work:
  • File Menu Entry
  • Toolbar Button
  • Keyboard Shortcut

Amazing stuff, and now XnViewMP is without a doubt the best image viewer out there, for ANY platform.

Is it possible to improve this new feature for the next release? Just two minor improvements?
  1. An icon for the Toolbar "Random File" button? Perhaps like a simple "circle" or "dot"? Or maybe shuffle arrows? (See my example. I made it using GIMP.)
  2. An entry when you Right-Click on the image. Currently when you Right-Click there is Previous and Next, but no Random.

This screenshot shows that there is no icon button. Instead the full text appears:
missing-cmd_fileRandom-icon.png
missing-cmd_fileRandom-icon.png (33.15 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

This screenshot shows that the Random File command is missing in the Right-Click context menu:
missing-context-menu-item.png
missing-context-menu-item.png (178.92 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

Here is an example icon I made using GIMP, which signifies "random" or "shuffle":
cmd_fileRandom.png
cmd_fileRandom.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

A Google search for 'icon for random' shows many designs, mainly variations on the above design, which personally I don't find intuitive: they seem to indicate randomness as to whether the next or the previous file will be displayed...

Maybe other users immediately recognise them as indicating 'random' :?:

Looking at the toolbar in your first screenshot, with the next and previous file icons, maybe a similar rectangle (or two) with a '?' in it might be more intuitive??
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

winnylinny wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:01 pm Is it possible to improve this new feature for the next release? Just two minor improvements?
  1. An icon for the Toolbar "Random File" button? Perhaps like a simple "circle" or "dot"? Or maybe shuffle arrows? (See my example. I made it using GIMP.)
  2. An entry when you Right-Click on the image. Currently when you Right-Click there is Previous and Next, but no Random.
Ok
Pierre.
winnylinny

Post by winnylinny »

cday wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:27 amLooking at the toolbar in your first screenshot, with the next and previous file icons, maybe a similar rectangle (or two) with a '?' in it might be more intuitive??
It would be much too "crammed" to take an arrow icon and then add more details inside of it further.

The "criss-crossing" arrows are a universal symbol for "random" and "shuffle". Like the icon I made. Anything smaller or too detailed would be hard to discern.
winnylinny

Post by winnylinny »

xnview wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:00 am
winnylinny wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:01 pm Is it possible to improve this new feature for the next release? Just two minor improvements?
Ok
Excellent, Pierre! :D Just for giving us the ability to navigate our images in random order, I wish to make a donation of 15€! This program has been fantastic, and now I have no more need for other image views because XnViewMP has a wonderful flow!

Should I create a new bug report for something I discovered? The ability to navigate "random file" needs to be disabled if there is no file or folder currently open. If you try to use the button or keyboard shortcut for cmd_randomFile, it will crash the program if there is no image or folder currently open.

I notice that Next and Previous are disabled if there is no file currently loaded, yet Random is not disabled, which crashes XnViewMP if it is invoked.

UPDATE: I donated 15€. Thank you for all your work, Pierre! My favorite image viewer on Linux and Windows.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

winnylinny wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:26 pm
Should I create a new bug report for something I discovered? The ability to navigate "random file" needs to be disabled if there is no file or folder currently open. If you try to use the button or keyboard shortcut for cmd_randomFile, it will crash the program if there is no image or folder currently open.
yes please
UPDATE: I donated 15€. Thank you for all your work, Pierre! My favorite image viewer on Linux and Windows.
Thank you very much!!!
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

winnylinny wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:22 pm
cday wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:27 amLooking at the toolbar in your first screenshot, with the next and previous file icons, maybe a similar rectangle (or two) with a '?' in it might be more intuitive??
It would be much too "crammed" to take an arrow icon and then add more details inside of it further.
That wasn't what I suggested...

The "criss-crossing" arrows are a universal symbol for "random" and "shuffle".
I wasn't aware of that, it's not a big point.
ckhaal

Post by ckhaal »

Using the linux version (Version 1.0 64bits (Apr 29 2022)) and do not see this option. Has it been called something else or moved?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

If you are referring to adding the random file icon to the browser or viewer toolbar, please check Tools > Settings... > Interface -- ToolBar tab, and then if you are not familiar with that menu, try to figure out how to configure the desired toolbar the way you would like it to be:

Screenshot from 2022-06-29 07-48-37.png
ckhaal

Post by ckhaal »

cday wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:00 am If you are referring to adding the random file icon to the browser or viewer toolbar, please check Tools > Settings... > Interface -- ToolBar tab, and then if you are not familiar with that menu, try to figure out how to configure the desired toolbar the way you would like it to be:

Screenshot from 2022-06-29 07-48-37.png
Ah! I was didn't select view mode in the dropdown box when editing toolbar. Thanks I see it now!