Animated GIFs in slideshows

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Hukuro

Animated GIFs in slideshows

Post by Hukuro »

Hello.
Would you be so kind to make the MP version play animated GIFs in slideshows? As of now, they are displayed, but only as static images.
Also, it would be nice to make seperate timer rules for the GIF files in slideshows. If the animated GIF lasts 10 seconds, and the timer for automatic swapping between images was set to 5 seconds, that timer should be automatically extended for that specific image.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Animated GIFs in slideshows

Post by xnview »

yes will be better
Pierre.
Hukuro

Post by Hukuro »

Thank you!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.0. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
Hukuro

Post by Hukuro »

It works! Wow, it was the first time ever I asked a developer for a feature and they actually added it xD Feels almost weird, but amazing. Thanks. Gifs are now animated and displayed until the end of the animation.

Now I also see that the looping option for the gifs would be nice, too, as the short gifs meant especially for getting looped look a bit odd if played just one time. Gifs like this one:
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Thanks for the animation, that's great :)

However, allowing GIF animation loop is contradictory. The slideshow would never end, locked on that picture :?
IMO, best to manage the loop inside the GIF, ensure it last long enough to be visible
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
Hukuro

Post by Hukuro »

That sounds like an interesting workaround. I have a few hundred gif files, but duplicating frames in each should be quite easy in Photoshop after running an automated task. The only problem, with my current skills at least, is that I can set only one fixed number of duplicates for each gif. If I mass convert the gifs by making them looped 15 times within them , it will be perfect for 0.5 sec gifs in a slideshow, but the 3 sec long ones, looped so many times, will take over half a minute of display. Their size will be big as well.
In that scenario, I think the best solution would be to sort the gifs into short, medium and long, and then run an appropriate batch task in Photoshop for each set. Unfortunately, I cannot find the option to sort the files by duration :D Neither in Windows Explorer, nor in Xnview. Google doesn't help either. And sorting hundreds of files manually is a torture.
Xnview seems to have an option to display the duration of each gif file in the information tab. Do you think it would be possible to add a feature to sort the files on its basis? It would help me a lot in what I'm trying to do here.