Solved: 4.1.0 locks/crashes Explorer on ogg files

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Arne

Solved: 4.1.0 locks/crashes Explorer on ogg files

Post by Arne »

Edit: If you have issues with ogg files, read last post first. (2021-09-16)
---

Hi Pierre,

first of all: I've been a fan of this extension on Win7 for a decade. Thanks for this long time!

Now, trying 4.1.0 on Win10-2004 reminds me of hard and buggy times with this extension years ago.

As mentioned in this post one year ago viewtopic.php?p=163354#p163354, the extension has problems with context menus of audio files (with embedded pictures in tags).
In my case context menus of MP3 take 1-2 seconds to open, but menus of OGG take several minutes (if you're patient).
So after installing this extension Windows Explorer is completely locked out for minutes, if you are courageous and right-click on "wrong" files.

To make things worse, this damage is definitely not fixed by uninstalling the extension. Opening some context menus locks the Explorer now even without this extension, which is only a slight difference to a crash.

While I'm trying to repair these damages the installation left behind, I don't feel courageous for further tests with this experimental software without reliable uninstaller.
Good luck!

Attachment: I tried to post a small sample of audio OGG-vorbis with embedded picture, but board software refuses.
Last edited by Arne on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: 4.1.0 locks/crashes Explorer on audio files

Post by cday »

archive
Arne wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:06 am Attachment: I tried to post a small sample of audio OGG-vorbis with embedded picture, but board software refuses.
You should be able to attach it if you place it in a ZIP provided the ZIP file size is less than 2MiB, otherwise you could provide a link to download it from a web hosting service.
Arne

Re: 4.1.0 locks/crashes Explorer on audio files

Post by Arne »

Thanks for your quick reply!
I found and attached a very small ogg-file (its not zipped, only renamed). Although without embedded picture it also locks applications by right-clicking if they use the default-context menu.

I tried to find traces by using ShellExView (Nirsoft) and Autoruns (no result), disabled a few remaining shell extensions (7-zip, foobar), but without success.

Uninstalling leaves "msvcr120.dll" behind in installation-folder, as well as some traces in the registry.
There is no application on my system, which handles ogg-files specially.

Are there general changes the extension does to context-menus?
Attachments
RCP Basic Double.ogg.zip
(15.59 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Arne

Solution: 4.1.0 locks/crashes Explorer on audio files

Post by Arne »

I'm really sorry.
I solved the issue myself. The mentioned bug wasn't caused by XnViewShellExt and doesn't seem to have connections to graphic functions.

If you search for "explorer hangs with ogg" (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=explorer+hangs+with+ogg), you get many entries for that unofficial bug.
In short: Microsoft "Web Media Extensions" crashes context-menus of ogg-files. Uninstalling it solves the issue.

Thanks for your patience!