XnView Shell Extension (Support & Development)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Irving

Post by Irving »

xnview wrote:
Irving wrote:I have 2.4.0

It absolutely needs to save the original date and time! :o
When you use 'convert to'?
Yes. Unlike XnView, you have no selectable choice with the shell extension. (I would use it with my camera images, for example, except for the date change). If it's not too much trouble, I would like to see original date and time saved also with the resize function.

I have just lately noticed and have started using the shell extension. Very nice! Stable too, no trying to "phone home" via the internet.
LeSharK

Post by LeSharK »

after i installed the latest version of XnShellEx (2.52) the right-click menu on files is missing..

this happens with both the installer and the register.bat in WindowsXP +SP2

is there a workaround for this? or where can i get an older version of XnShellEx that worked?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Are you sure you have the same version of OS/ShellEx (32/64bit)?
Dreamer
LeSharK

Post by LeSharK »

yeah, i'm sure
you can't even install the 64-bit one on 32-bit XP.. i've tried :D

edit: nevermind, it works after a reboot
budz45
XnThusiast

Re: XnView Shell extension

Post by budz45 »

Hi guys, Hi Pierre.

I remember seeing and testing this shell preview/converter app on its first release and remember its bugs, was disappointed, moved on and forgot about it. Now after about 2 years later the app has progressed and I am very happy.

I just love the option of 'sub-menu without thumbnail' it so tidy am really happy I looked at this again

My FEATURE REQUEST :

1. As you can see in the picture there is no 'About' box so that we know that it is you (Pierre) who created this efficient context previewer. You could add an 'About' box along with the name and version number of this app at the top of the box; would be like "Xnview Shell Extension v2.xx" in clear bold

2. Please developer add a nice little 'icon' on the context menu Image so I and many users can immediate notice it is Xnview on the context menu Image . The default Xnview 'eye' logo image would be nice icon within a orb or box design :)

3. Allow backing up of settings to a local file (like a .ini file) so that settings can be restored conveniently. What would also be nice about this backup feature is if during installation we could simply place this small local file next the XnShellEx.exe installer and then during installtion just simply install settings alongside app

4. Rather than simply 'use xnview to open' in which we can currently deselect to simply open with associated image viewer - why not makje this into a drop down menu below the drop down menu of language. Then you could add 'open with xnview (installed)' ; 'open with own image program' , 'custom (browse for file)'

What do you think about the suggestions?
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

budz45,
I like all your suggestions!
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Thanks.

I also just thought of this idea also:

*FEATURE IDEA* - In the Xnview Shell Extension 'Options' , give us tickbox's for the filetypes that show in the below image in controlling which ones show on the 'convert into' sub-menu and in addition to this option the easy opportunity into ordering how they show in the menu (move up / move down) + tickbox for tick selection to show and no tick to not show.

Any opinions on my suggestions?
Irving

Post by Irving »

budz45, I would also like to see that.
Zundler

Post by Zundler »

I've got installed the version 2.6.0 of the Shell Extension. I'm realy happy about this little useful program. I can assure you, it's the best program for my purposes I've tried. Great thanks to you! But there's a thing i miss:

I use the program to edit the IPTC-Data in my pictures. So long, so good. It's very important for my work to use the TIF-Format, because of the quality. The full XnView-program supports editing the IPTC-Data in TIF-Files, the Shell Extension only supports to edit in JPG-Files. Is it possible to add a plug-in for this job or just putting it in a new version?

Greets
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Zundler wrote:The full XnView-program supports editing the IPTC-Data in TIF-Files, the Shell Extension only supports to edit in JPG-Files. Is it possible to add a plug-in for this job or just putting it in a new version?
Right, i need to add it
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Hmm... perhaps "Only decrease" option for Convert might be useful too, since batch convert is possible also when using Shell extension. I think it should be even enabled by default, because usually it's not needed to increase image.
Dreamer
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Hi again guys,

Pierre you confirmed that you liked my ideas I put forward and that you are working on them.

Here is another one which I call "comparing Xnview shell preview quality with that of Shelltoys preview"

I have come across this slight distortion with some pics that I preview in XNview Shell EX compared with that of Shelltoys. Is there anyway you could analyse this and try to improve, perhaps it is that Xnview Shell Ex does not support processing specific ratio resolution of pics, however I dont know.
This is certainly not a problem on every image ONLY SOME IMAGES

Please remember my previous ideas that I have put forward including my requests 1 - 4 and the filetypes shell display option also :)
Last edited by budz45 on Sat May 30, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

budz45 wrote: My FEATURE REQUEST :

1. As you can see in the picture there is no 'About' box so that we know that it is you (Pierre) who created this efficient context previewer. You could add an 'About' box along with the name and version number of this app at the top of the box; would be like "Xnview Shell Extension v2.xx" in clear bold .......

...4. Rather than simply 'use xnview to open' in which we can currently deselect to simply open with associated image viewer - why not makje this into a drop down menu below the drop down menu of language. Then you could add 'open with xnview (installed)' ; 'open with own image program' , 'custom (browse for file)'
So I mean it would look like this:

(I editted/made this in Paint.NET)
Clo
XnThusiast

Post by Clo »

:arrow: budz45

:) Hello !

• Nice mock-up, I support…
…but it should look much better without a typo in the title ! :P

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Sat May 30, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Clo wrote::arrow: budz45

:) Hello !

• Nice mock-up, I support…
…but it should look much better without a typo in the title ! :P

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
I like hearing people's opinions so thanks for the reply.

I think the typo is fine since it keeps everything in one place rather than clicking on a box and openbing a separate window. Maybe Pierre could add an option to enable/disable the showing of the typo with colour choosing - not necessarily important but adds fun to the application :)

btw, Also notice the difference I added with "to open picture" where it presents the drop down menu box (my suggestion 4), options to: "use system default image viewer" , "use custom" , "use xnview" <-- if Xnview is on the system. The "use custom"could just use a basic Windows Open box in which the user can choose any .exe file in Windows Explorer for the Xnview Shell Ex to use. All these would be so awesome and can't wait to see these added.