XnView Shell Extension (Support & Development)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Jaff

Re: XnView Shell Extension (Support & Development)

Post by Jaff »

budz45 wrote:I quickly made this image to show the 'Rotate' function in XnShell:
http://i44.tinypic.com/ma9qhu.png
"Rotate = vertical" ?!?! In image you have a "vertical flip"
Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real, doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Jaff wrote: "Rotate = vertical" ?!?! In image you have a "vertical flip"
yes that's what I meant (FLIP VERTICAL) :)

I made that picture to demonstrate 'rotate' in xnshell, I must change/update that picture...
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
montu

Post by montu »

I have some problems with the XnView Shell Extension with mp3 files.

Normally when I right click a mp3-file, I can see in the pop menu the included cd-cover from this file with the XnView Shell extension.
But this work not on all mp-3 files. I use media monkey to add the cover to the id3-tags in the mp3-files.
When I check the included cover with other programs they seems all tagged the same way and okay.

Any help is welcome!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Could you send me a mp3 that doesn't work?
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote:
xnview wrote:Could you send me a mp3 that doesn't work?
http://www.divshare.com/download/5218936-abc
http://soundcloud.com/choicecuts/jbx-remix-podcast
And one that works? ;-)
Pierre.
montu

Post by montu »

I can't see the JBX cover with XnView and also winamp don't show but VLC does.

My CD-cover are only not shown by XnView.

Yeasterday evening I'm playing a little bit around with my problem.
When I add the CD-cover with the 'tag from internet' function from MM all CD-covers are all included the right way and shown in all players I have and XnView. Unfortunatley not all covers were found with the internal tag routine and so I must use a browser.
When I search the CD-cover with my browser (FF) and add the cover by right click the graphic in browser, choose copy graphic and paste it in MM the CD-cover is shown in all my players and in XnView. But when I drag and drop the graphic from FF to MM the CD-cover is shown in all players but not in XnView.

Pierre I send you one of my working mp3 when I'm back home.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

ZoNi wrote:My suggestions:

- make separate page about XnView Shell Extension (with detailed info)

- add custom size for image resizing option

- add "Fit to desktop" in "Set wallpaper as" (I think that "Fit to desktop" is better than "Best fit to desktop")

Btw, XnView Shell Extension is now on my blog (I guess first Serbian blog/web site with some useful info about Extension) ;)
Great ideas :)

------------------------------------

Ok here are ALL my recent requests that I have moved from a previous posting within this topic and have consolidated into all-in-one (no post bumping was intended):

Here are some things I request for a future XnShell 3.0.0 xx :

+ A clean up is needed of the context menu 'highlighter' visual under Vista/7 when previewing images ON the context menu (non sub-menu), look at the comparison for what I mean; http://i46.tinypic.com/2qtfmg8.png

+ More fixes/feature for the "File's Icon"
Right, all of the below that I have striked-out text for "File's Icon" can be solved by implementing a registry scanner feature within "File's Icon" much like FileTypesMan by nirsoft uses
I took these screenshots for help:
- for .URL (native internet explorer) use custom argument system32\url.dll,0 = http://i52.tinypic.com/1z3tqbn.jpg
- for File-type with no icon assigned, use custom argument system32\imageres.dll,1 = http://i56.tinypic.com/a2u8t0.jpg
- for FOLDERS in Vista/7 use custom argument system32\imageres.dll,2 = http://i51.tinypic.com/op4d2t.jpg
-support for File Icon path's that lead direct to a .ico (non-embedded file type icons not located within a .exe or .dll) e.g. foobar2000 file type icons; pic1 , pic2

-support for icons of folders
-support for shortcut .url files (native Internet Explorer ones)

-support for 'simple' blank Windows file icons (filetypes with no registered association or known file extension) on Win Vista/7 they look as this icon and on Win XP they look as this icon

+ 'File's Icon' might be better named as Item's Icon .. If support for folders was added.. just a thought..

+ File's Icon - Add an 'Extract icon' feature as a button.

+ A simple ability to be able to save converted images to another disk. What should happen is that a prompt window with choice 'Yes/No' should display. If a user chooses 'Yes' then a user can then be give a Windows folder-disk saving window. For this feature to exist a tickbox setting in the "Options" named something like 'Prompt to save to folder' in which a user can enable/disable anytime.

+ Resize - XnShell could incorporate a Resize feature that is more simplified than the 'resize' in full version Xnview. Upon selecting multiple files this would rename itself to 'Batch Resize' or 'Multiple Resize'. In 'Batch/Multiple' resize the window should present the ability to resize only with % or custom % (percent). With the % , XnView could show two window columns that would consist of current un-resized list and second column with a real-time preview for showing exact new sizes.

+ File's Icon - should not show when highlighting multiple files and right clicking. In future, the window size and GUI to files Icon could be made larger to accommodate a batch session listing multiple filenames in a downward list with and 16x and 48x icon size with of course next to their root (path) file's icon. This batch-multiple feature may be difficult to implement. Duplicate extensions e.g. two .jpg files would not display. batch-multiple window could look like this:
.. But this is not an important feature

+ Backup settings feature. A button in the XnShell option to backup all settings to a .reg file or optionally a .ini file (.ini is editable). The button should best look like a drop-down menu button like in recent UsbSafelyRemove app; http://i56.tinypic.com/vrrh44.png

+ Add XnShell support for full transparency on GFL; http://i42.tinypic.com/15f18r5.png

+ Add an option to disable showing transparency on the shell context menu for transparent images (disabled by default of course :wink: )

+ Add 256x256 (or highest page) icon viewing for .icns MacOS icons (just like as already so for .ico). Some users (like me) work with .icns creation and viewing on Windows platform.

+ Auto refresh Explorer after each or any 'Rotate'.

+ A typing cursor or other cursor to view the rest of a long filename in the "File's Icon" window:
http://i39.tinypic.com/25073gp.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/auiphy.png

+ An option, for the Uninstall process, to be able to remove all XnShell preferences in the registry (option).

+ A separate executable, named something like 'shelloptions.exe'. This exe would dynamically link and open the "options" window found in 'XnViewShellExt.dll' so that we can make settings to the application without having to right-click on an image file to get "options" window.

+ When mass Converting/Rotating/Resizing lot's of image files. Two dialogs should exist, one before the other, that would assist the user in showing that the background process is happening and that most importantly it can be canceled. This is an important feature of functionality to consider for the next version.
Last edited by budz45 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Hi again,

================================
XnShell BUG:
Win XP - The 'Options' window has a window issue when trying to take a screenshot. The window hides behind another opened window when trying to take a screenshot with FastStone Capture. This issues needs addressing.
================================

I have made a new layout of the main window, in how things could look like:

Tabbed interface, use of latest logo, imitated QT gui style found in XnView MP - which looks great :) Tab in menus is also used in Xnview 1.9x 'options' window too which is what I think would look best in XnShell.
or this link
users may also now prefer the new layout of the 'About' which is no longer as a banner but in a separate space.
Note: see how I used the '®' in the 'ImageShack' suffix (ImageShack®) :P
budz45 wrote: XnView • View topic - XnViewMP new icon

So this alternate XnView logo (button-ized) that I'm talking about;

...Becomes this:
which would still have it's use on such things like XnView Shell Extension :wink:

I think this would be good for the second XnView logo
Last edited by budz45 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

budz45 wrote:....Ok here are ALL my recent requests ....
Hello budz45
reading your long list of requests I can feel a mixture of impression ("Many nice ideas") and irritation ("Too many nice ideas").

My personal use of context-menu is the KISS-method: Keep it simple and stupid. I use context-menu "quick and easy", but I use the main-application for complex features or batch-processing - IMHO more stable, more clearly arranged, all the "save as" and "config" and so on already integrated.

But: De Gustibus non disputandum est.

Regards

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Hi Peter,

Those requests are my last ever for Xnview Shell Extension and they won't bloat up the application. All ideas were thought carefully through. I understand your points though, thanks.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

..Made a tiny change, added a faint header name text and UI line :)

=======================
EDIT:

Possible custom Windows XP file-path arguments for "File's Icon":

Blank file-type = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,0
Blank Folder = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,3
.URL file-type = C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,1

Favorites folder = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,43
Recycle bin = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,31
My Computer = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,15
Floppy disk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,6
Removable drive = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,7
CD rom drive = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,11
Printer = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,16

My Documents folder = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,126
My Pictures folder = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,127
My Music folder = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,128
My Video folder = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,129
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Thank you Pierre, ever so more, for implementing the "File's Icon" feature into this application :D :P

"File's Icon" in action!
Image Image
Philip Goddard

Post by Philip Goddard »

I'd still been unable to install the x64 XnShell right up to today on my Win8 x64 system. However, I got ideas after somebody had posted in another thread here, that XnShell x64 had finally installed okay on their system after they had installed Sage Thumbs. So I tried installing Sage Thumbs but actually that install failed with exactly the same error message as with XnShell x64. But then I looked around for another image shell extension to try, and came up with FastPreview. This actually did install, and then when I tried installing XnShell x64 again it actually worked, so I have the advantage of both shell extensions - though for me the only advantage of FastPreview is a preview directly on the context menu.
Philip
[HYBRID BEING]

Post by [HYBRID BEING] »

XnShell menu does not appear if there are japanese characters in path/filename. Is this still alive?