EXIF autorotation does not work in XnView Shell Extension

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jedikalimero

EXIF autorotation does not work in XnView Shell Extension

Post by jedikalimero »

When I preview a raw image with XnView Shell Extension, the thumbnail is always landscape, despite when I watch it in XnView viewer it is correctly rotated.

I don't know if this happens in all images but it sure happens in Nikon D700 and Canon EOS10D raw images.

I'm using XnView with Shell Extension for Windows 7 x64

In the following image you can see how a portrait CRW file is correctly oriented in XnView but not in the thumbnail of the Shell Extension. (The icon thumbnail, the preview and the status bar thumbnail in the explorer window are provided by FastPictureViewer WIC Codecs)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: EXIF autorotation does not work in XnView Shell Extensio

Post by xnview »

Could you send me a file sample?
Pierre.
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

Sorry for the delay.

Here is a sample, raw (CRW) Canon EOS10D photo taken vertically:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3771BLJP

It shows up vertical in XNview but not in XNshell
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Pierre.
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

xnview wrote:Please try XnView 1.98 beta 1
Downloaded zip file, replaced all files in installed XnView folder with the ones in the zip. restarted computer. Now XnView Shell Extension doesn't work at all :-(
Not in raws, not in JPGs, not in GIFs, etc. It does not show miniatures or the submenu, as if it was not installed. (Maybe this was not the correct way of updating the program?)

If I open the image with "right click / Open with / XnView for Windows" and then go to "Tools/Options/System Integration", I can see "Use XnView Shell Extension" is checked. Tried to uncheck this, OK, close XnView and then open XnView to check it again, but realized the changes in options are not saved and when I open XnView again, the option is still checked.

Also, the option "Add 'Browse with XnView' to context menu" was not checked in my system, so I checked it to give a try, but due to the same reason (Changes in options are not saved) I can't try it.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jedikalimero wrote:
xnview wrote:Please try XnView 1.98 beta 1
Downloaded zip file, replaced all files in installed XnView folder with the ones in the zip. restarted computer. Now XnView Shell Extension doesn't work at all :-(
Not in raws, not in JPGs, not in GIFs, etc. It does not show miniatures or the submenu, as if it was not installed. (Maybe this was not the correct way of updating the program?)

If I open the image with "right click / Open with / XnView for Windows" and then go to "Tools/Options/System Integration", I can see "Use XnView Shell Extension" is checked. Tried to uncheck this, OK, close XnView and then open XnView to check it again, but realized the changes in options are not saved and when I open XnView again, the option is still checked.

Also, the option "Add 'Browse with XnView' to context menu" was not checked in my system, so I checked it to give a try, but due to the same reason (Changes in options are not saved) I can't try it.
Do you have registered the new dll? Do you start XnView as administrator?
Pierre.
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

not all options are unsaved. Changing the background color in the preview panel worked and also changing the layout of the panels (but this one is not inside options but in the view menu)
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

xnview wrote: Do you have registered the new dll? Do you start XnView as administrator?
How do I register the new dll?
My account has administrator rights but I started XnView normally, by rightclicking an image file and selecting Open with/XnView for Windows and also by opening the program right from Start/all programs
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

Ok, I browsed to C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView\ShellEx and found the "register.bat" file, so I suppose this is what you were refering to. Executed it as administrator. Got this error (translating from spanish):
"module XnViewShellExt.dll could not be loaded. Verify the binary file is stored in the specified path or debug it to check if there are any problems in the binary file or dependant .DLL files. Specified module could not be found"

Then run it again by double clicking (without using the administrator option) and the error was:
"the module XnViewShellExt.dll was loaded but there was an error in the call to DllRegisterServer (error code 0x80070005). etc."

Also run the unregister.bat and tried again, but no way.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you must use a admin console to use register/unregister
Pierre.
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

xnview wrote:you must use a admin console to use register/unregister
I don't even know what an admin console is. The first time I downloaded XnView and XnView Shell Extension, the installer did it all for me. Sorry but I'm a graphic designer, not a programmer :-(

I wonder if Shell Extension is not working for me because I need an x64 version of it?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jedikalimero wrote:
xnview wrote:you must use a admin console to use register/unregister
I don't even know what an admin console is. The first time I downloaded XnView and XnView Shell Extension, the installer did it all for me. Sorry but I'm a graphic designer, not a programmer :-(

I wonder if Shell Extension is not working for me because I need an x64 version of it?
It's the beta, so no installer yet.... And yes, it's the 32bits version. So please wait the final release...
Pierre.
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

I Run XnView in administrator mode. Now the changes i do in "Tools/Options/System Integration" are committed :-)
jedikalimero

Post by jedikalimero »

xnview wrote: It's the beta, so no installer yet.... And yes, it's the 32bits version. So please wait the final release...

Ok, back to previous version for me then and waiting impatiently for the final release :-)