XNView Shell extension Vista x64

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

djnykk

XNView Shell extension Vista x64

Post by djnykk »

Hello great people.

I have 2 questions:

1 - My system is Vista x64 and I use daily XNView and XNShell Extension as the most usable little program on PC.
I noticed that XNShellExtension can not display all PSD and animated GIF images - especially those created in Photoshop CS5.
It sometimes opens image [when right click on image name from Windows Explorer] as a SMALL DOT [without displaying thumbnail] but when mouse-over the dot image, and click with left mouse button, it opens in XNView all well.

Question is: is it a bug or I will have to download newer / other XNViewShell extension to avoid displaying small dots instead image thumbnail?

2 - Is there any possibility to make XNViewShellExtension play .WAV, .MP3 and .OGG files when right-click on them? I really loved the way PicaView worked [on WindowsXP].
All the best,

Nikola Tomic / Nykk Deetronic
Multimedia Creator @
Deetronic Design Studio
youtube.com/djnykk | deetronic.rs
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XNView Shell extension Vista x64

Post by xnview »

djnykk wrote:1 - My system is Vista x64 and I use daily XNView and XNShell Extension as the most usable little program on PC.
I noticed that XNShellExtension can not display all PSD and animated GIF images - especially those created in Photoshop CS5.
It sometimes opens image [when right click on image name from Windows Explorer] as a SMALL DOT [without displaying thumbnail] but when mouse-over the dot image, and click with left mouse button, it opens in XNView all well.
Could you send me a PSD sample?
2 - Is there any possibility to make XNViewShellExtension play .WAV, .MP3 and .OGG files when right-click on them? I really loved the way PicaView worked [on WindowsXP].
No way currently, in picaview how it work? Could you send me a screenshot?
Pierre.
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

xnview wrote:
djnykk wrote:1 - My system is Vista x64 and I use daily XNView and XNShell Extension as the most usable little program on PC.
Could you send me a PSD sample?
No way currently, in picaview how it work? Could you send me a screenshot?
Ok. Here it comes:

- This is snapshot from my laptop where I am still running old XP-SP2 with Vistamizer [Vista skin] and PicaView. As you can see, it can play .aiff, .wav, .mp3, .avi, .mpg and some other formats. When play sound, it displays simple player with slider, and when play video - it can play simple video player inside the Explorer window or when click, this window becomes larger, like you play files from audio or video players. It would be very useful for us quickly playing sound samples by simple right clicking on large samples menies and submenies.

- And this is snapshot of XNView Shell Extension running on my new Vista x64, and example when it does not display image preview.
In this case, it is when you go and open file from Opera that you intend to upload on some web site. When Opera opens its "Select file" window, right-click there does not help, while the same work with PicaView:

- And finally - I found 100% examples of PSD files that are NOT [dis]played by XNView. Those files are A4 300 DPI RGB or CMYK .PDF files. They are mostly over 20-30MB in size and I can upload some print preparations from Photoshop [either CS3, CS4 or CS5] - they won`t show up in Explorer's RightClick menu. I guess XNView can`t display just large pixel-size images. On PicaView - displaying CMYK PSD files is possible, just palette is a bit different [stronger color palette].

I hope this helps. Thank you very much for developing such a great tool for us working with web graphics and animations. Would be cool if XNView Shell Extension will play .gif animations too.
All the best,

Multimedia Creator @
Deetronic Design Studio
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

djnykk wrote: - And finally - I found 100% examples of PSD files that are NOT [dis]played by XNView. Those files are A4 300 DPI RGB or CMYK .PDF files. They are mostly over 20-30MB in size and I can upload some print preparations from Photoshop [either CS3, CS4 or CS5] - they won`t show up in Explorer's RightClick menu. I guess XNView can`t display just large pixel-size images. On PicaView - displaying CMYK PSD files is possible, just palette is a bit different [stronger color palette].
Is it possible to send me a sample?
Pierre.
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

xnview wrote:
djnykk wrote: - And finally - I found 100% examples of PSD files that are NOT [dis]played by XNView. Those files are A4 300 DPI RGB or CMYK .PDF files. They are mostly over 20-30MB in size and I can upload some print preparations from Photoshop [either CS3, CS4 or CS5] - they won`t show up in Explorer's RightClick menu. I guess XNView can`t display just large pixel-size images. On PicaView - displaying CMYK PSD files is possible, just palette is a bit different [stronger color palette].
Is it possible to send me a sample?
Here comes download link:
https://rapidshare.com/files/461719936/SalesSheet.zip

Try SalesSheet.PSD file and let me know if it works for you. Here I can not make XNView to work and display it as a preview.
All the best,

Multimedia Creator @
Deetronic Design Studio
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

djnykk wrote: Try SalesSheet.PSD file and let me know if it works for you. Here I can not make XNView to work and display it as a preview.
I have no problem to load this PSD in XnView 1.98
Pierre.
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

xnview wrote:
djnykk wrote: Try SalesSheet.PSD file and let me know if it works for you. Here I can not make XNView to work and display it as a preview.
I have no problem to load this PSD in XnView 1.98
Ohh. Are you sure? XNView opens and plays all well, but it won`t open from RightClick on PSD file using XNShell Extension on Vista x64? I downloaded from your download section:

XnView Shell Extension Setup v3.00 (for windows explorer)
XnView Shell Extension Setup 64bits <-this one.

I believe I have some old version somehow, but installing does not help [it displays error]. I will try to reboot windows and try installing this file again...
All the best,

Multimedia Creator @
Deetronic Design Studio
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

I reinstalled, reboot - no ShellExtension [if choose install ALL] - so I installed again v3.0 of XNshell extension but 64bits and it works. And works as it worked before:

Take a look, please:

See? Small dot instead thumbnail OR no dots at all, for 300 dpi cmyk files and some other files. And not working at all when open file from Opera [right click on directory] as shown in my previous examples... :(
All the best,

Multimedia Creator @
Deetronic Design Studio
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Are you able to load&view this PSD in XnView?
Pierre.
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

xnview wrote:Are you able to load&view this PSD in XnView?
Yes. But no thumbnails as you can see...
All the best,

Multimedia Creator @
Deetronic Design Studio
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

djnykk wrote:
it's not XnView but XnViewShell, please try in XnView, and perhaps you could take a look at XnShell/Options
Pierre.
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

xnview wrote:
djnykk wrote:
it's not XnView but XnViewShell, please try in XnView, and perhaps you could take a look at XnShell/Options
OMG! I found it!!! THANK YOU very much!!! There is option: "No thumbnails for images larger than 20mb"!? So I raise it to 800 MB and - voila! IT WORKS!!!

- Now just one thing to solve and it will be all done: Why it won`t show images from UploadImages from Browser? [there are snapshotted examples on this thread somewhere at the top].

- Also - is there possibility to add playing / sound previewing of WAV, AIFF, MP3, MPG, AVI etc?
All the best,

Multimedia Creator @
Deetronic Design Studio