[UI] XnView Shell Extension: User interface issues

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

[UI] XnView Shell Extension: User interface issues

Post by helmut »

While updating the German translation of the XnView Shell extension 3.1, I've found various issues that should be discussed and could be improved. (I'm aware that I'm a bad example, here, as we ask people to post issues individually).

Label 'Source file'
The groupbox which displays the file which contains the symbol data should have a heading, e.g. 'Source' or 'File (exe, dll) containing icon'.

Title 'Convert...'
The dialog title of Convert dialog should say 'Convert' (no elipsis).

Number of files in dialog title
It's a good idea to display the number of files that will be converted in the dialog title. This applies for the convert dialog, but when using the IPTC dialog, the number of files is not displayed in the dialog title. Instead, the number is displayed underneath the image. Additionally, the number of files should be displayed in the title.

Number of files in dialog title:
Currently, the number of files is displayed in the windows title, e.g. "Convert (1)". To make this a bit clearer, it should be changed to "Convert (1 file)"

Hidden menu item: Save clipboard
If the clipboard contains no image data, there is no menu item 'Save clipboard'. The menuitem only appears if there is image data in the clipboard. Hiding menu items is used by the XnView Shell Extension, menu items are displayed only if an image file is selected and that's o.k.. But adding more conditions is no good. The menu item 'Save clipboard' should be shown and hidden just like all other menu items, and be disabled if needed.

Dropdownlist for selecting language: Unified listing of languages
In all XnView products (XnView Windows, XnView MP, XnView Shell Extension) there's a dropdownlist for selecting the user interface language of the program. Currently, in all XnView products the items in the list are listed differently.
Example:
XnView Windows: <language name native> [<language name in English] - by <Name of translator'
Xnview MP: '<Flag image> <language name native> [<two letter language code>] <Name of translator>'
XnView Shell Extenstion: '<language name native>'
Would be good if this would be more unified.

Save options...: Elipsis
When pressing the button 'Save options' a dialog for choosing a filename is displayed. This is why label 'Save options...' needs an elipsis.

No Copyright symbol symbol
ImageShack is a copyrighted, but it's unusual to have a Copyright logo in menu items (e.g. 'Send to ImageShack®'). I think the copyright symbol should be removed.

Note: All issues above are minor issues. But a clearer and more meaningful user interface is essential for a good software.

Comments, Suggestions, and other opinions are welcome.
budz45
XnThusiast

Re: [UI] XnView Shell Extension: User interface issues

Post by budz45 »

helmut wrote: Label 'Source file'
The groupbox which displays the file which contains the symbol data should have a heading, e.g. 'Source' or 'File (exe, dll) containing icon'.
Do you mean the 'Files Icon' feature?
helmut wrote: Title 'Convert...'
The dialog title of Convert dialog should say 'Convert' (no elipsis).

Number of files in dialog title
It's a good idea to display the number of files that will be converted in the dialog title. This applies for the convert dialog, but when using the IPTC dialog, the number of files is not displayed in the dialog title. Instead, the number is displayed underneath the image. Additionally, the number of files should be displayed in the title.
Understandable
helmut wrote: Number of files in dialog title:
Currently, the number of files is displayed in the windows title, e.g. "Convert (1)". To make this a bit clearer, it should be changed to "Convert (1 file)"
I think slightly better would be: Convert '1' file(s)
helmut wrote: Dropdownlist for selecting language: Unified listing of languages
In all XnView products (XnView Windows, XnView MP, XnView Shell Extension) there's a dropdownlist for selecting the user interface language of the program. Currently, in all XnView products the items in the list are listed differently.
Example:
XnView Windows: <language name native> [<language name in English] - by <Name of translator'
Xnview MP: '<Flag image> <language name native> [<two letter language code>] <Name of translator>'
Ok, yes, well if Pierre was to change this (for better unification) then yes it should follow XnView MP's display format (national flag+Language selected+author of translation). It might be that the QT toolkit used for XnView MP allows for the MP format display more better than for XnView win/XnShell I'm not certain on that subject though.
helmut wrote: Save options...: Elipsis
When pressing the button 'Save options' a dialog for choosing a filename is displayed. This is why label 'Save options...' needs an elipsis.
yep true :)
helmut wrote: No Copyright symbol symbol
ImageShack is a copyrighted, but it's unusual to have a Copyright logo in menu items (e.g. 'Send to ImageShack®'). I think the copyright symbol should be removed.
It was actually me that suggested this idea to have the symbol :mrgreen: IMO it should remain, the Copyright logo it's practically a part of the ImageShack brand and you would never get an internet web search without it :P
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your reply, budz, much appreciated. :-) Some comments on some of your comments.
budz45 wrote:
helmut wrote: Label 'Source file'
Do you mean the 'Files Icon' feature?
Yepp, 'File's icon' dialog is meant. Perhaps 'Source file (exe, dll)' might be an even better label.
budz45 wrote:
helmut wrote: Number of files in dialog title:
I think slightly better would be: Convert '1' file(s)
I assume the '1' is for highlighting the number - isn't it? Hmm, perhaps something like 'Convert - 1 file(s)' would be better.
budz45 wrote:
helmut wrote: Dropdownlist for selecting language: Unified listing of languages
Example:
Ok, yes, well if Pierre was to change this (for better unification) then yes it should follow XnView MP's display format (national flag+Language selected+author of translation). It might be that the QT toolkit used for XnView MP allows for the MP format display more better than for XnView win/XnShell I'm not certain on that subject though.
I'd also like to have the 'format' of XnView MP, if possible.
budz45 wrote:
helmut wrote: No Copyright symbol symbol
It was actually me that suggested this idea to have the symbol :mrgreen: IMO it should remain, the Copyright logo it's practically a part of the ImageShack brand and you would never get an internet web search without it :P
Ah, o.k.. What about 'Nero burning ROM' and perhaps other copyrighted stuff? As written above, I find it unusual to have copyright logos in labels of menu items. But perhaps just my feeling... ;-)
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

helmut wrote:Thank you for your reply, budz, much appreciated. :-) Some comments on some of your comments.
Your welcome herr Müller :wink:
helmut wrote: Yepp, 'File's icon' dialog is meant. Perhaps 'Source file (exe, dll)' might be an even better label.
Well the current "File's Icon" (in English) is just fine IMO and should be kept. In addition the "File's Icon" feature will be arriving in the next XnView MP after v0.39 so would need to keep the same unifying name. The "File's Icon" feature is for displaying the root icon path of of a file-type (see also Stardock IconPackager). I wouldn't object so much to a slight name change to "Source Icon" or "Icon path", but the inclusion of "Icon" in the name should be kept.
helmut wrote: I'd also like to have the 'format' of XnView MP, if possible.
Yep :) XnView MP's user-language menu dialog format for all XnView products. :P
helmut wrote: Ah, o.k.. What about 'Nero burning ROM' and perhaps other copyrighted stuff? As written above, I find it unusual to have copyright logos in labels of menu items. But perhaps just my feeling... ;-)
Ok perhaps the copyright suffix on the menu for 'ImageShack' should be removed. Furthermore the copyright for ImageShack might not apply to all regions around the world (outside USA) anyway.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

helmut wrote: Ah, o.k.. What about 'Nero burning ROM' and perhaps other copyrighted stuff? As written above, I find it unusual to have copyright logos in labels of menu items. But perhaps just my feeling... ;-)
Clipboard 1.png
Clipboard 1.png (114.66 KiB) Viewed 4071 times