XnView shell extension

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

omniplex

XnView shell extension

Post by omniplex »

Apparently the XnView shell extension does not yet support WEBP, Google's wannabe-better-than-JPEG contribution based on their wannabe-better-than-MP4 video format. If that's a simple omission and it takes seriously less than five minutes to "fix" it, please add WEBP to the formats recognized by the shell extension. :wink:

Unrelated observation about XnView's shell extension:

Often I can get away with downloading the "small" edition with the latest security patches for XnView on a 64bit Windows 7 with a 32bit Windows 2000 "virtual PC" (so that's two installations, plus a third portable XnView installation, all on one PC.) Sometimes I download the "full" edition as ZIP to check if there are new or updated plugins, add-ons, or extras. The "full" installer edition didn't work for me, because I have the 64bit shell extension and the 64bit nconvert.exe under %ProgramFiles(X86)%\XnView instead of the proper %ProgramFiles%\XnView, and the full installer would (try to) overwrite my 64bit extras with its 32bit variants. Besides I don't really want everything in the full editions, no obscure and/or commercial plugins, no picture upload tools, no ACE/CAD/EPS/MP3/Nero/SQX/video stuff -- I use XnView only for pictures including icons, not as a general multimedia file manager.

Today I finally figured out how to update the XnView shell extension manually in three steps, maybe it's also interesting for others: (1) Use unregister.bat on a command line in the XnView\ShellEx folder to unregister the existing (locked) extension, make sure that it's the correct BAT-version; the 64bit DLL has a name ending with 64. (2) Kill all explorer processes, e.g., the task manager can kill explorer. Start a new explorer, the existing shell extension DLL is now unregistered and unlocked. (3) Replace (overwrite) the old DLL with the new DLL, and use register.bat to register it. In other words, it's not really necessary to reboot in step (2), killing the shell (= explorer) is good enough to unlock an existing shell extension.