Suggestion: New scribble/annotate feature

Discussions on XnView for PocketPC

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

trids

Suggestion: New scribble/annotate feature

Post by trids »

Please provide a new feature that enables the user to scribble and make notes on a picture -- even if it's just JPEG, PNG, BMP images.

I use xnView almost exclusively for my image viewing and on-device-processing. But i often take photos for later reference, and when i need to write notes on the photo (like measurements, positions, direction, etc) ... I currently am forced to carry out the following painful process in the absence of this feature in xnView:
  1. view the image full-screen in xnView
  2. take a screen dump. (quick & dirty way to reduce the size of the image file)
  3. edit the screen-dump in PocketPicture, adding my notes etc.
  4. move the annotated screen-dump to the correct folder
The screen-dump step above is necessary only because PocketPicture crashes (out of memory) if i try to open the original-size photo. But if you implement this feature in xnView, you can eliminate that problem by capturing the annotations to a "layer" which you only merge with the underlying image when the user saves his changes. This will have the added benefit of allowing the annotations to be moved around and deleted or modified before saving (which is not possible with PocketPicture as it edits the image directly in memory, no layers).

I'm attaching an example of an annotated photo to clarify ...
spb_37x.png
spb_37x.png (211.13 KiB) Viewed 11224 times
trids

Re: Suggestion: New scribble/annotate feature

Post by trids »

If anyone else is interested in a workaround for this requirement, there is an app called TeleSketch (or TeleSketsa) which comes at it from another angle. Even allows you to take a photo from within the app, which you can then subsequently annotate.

Nevertheless, my first prize would still be to have this feature within my preferred image-browser.
:wink: