features that would help reading comics...

Discussions on XnView for PocketPC

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

wray

features that would help reading comics...

Post by wray »

Hi, first of all I would like to say that xnView is one great software. I have my PDA only couple a days, but this is definitelly my favourite picture viewer. When I was buying PDA it was because I wanted to read books and comics. I decided for VGA model but how dissapointed was I, when I found absolutely no viewers for cbr/cbz comics :( However - xnView is still *very* useful for reading these...

Now my suggestions/questions. I have v.1.35, and I feel like I tried every option, but maybe it's only I don't know how to do something...

1.) It would be great if xnView supports directly cbr/cbz files. cbr/cbz are basically jpegs compressed in a rar/zip file. So - let's say i have files 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg I compress them with a rar, rename file to pics.cbr and that's it. Is it difficult to implement rar/zip decompression?

2.) Nevermind the zip/rar support. I am still able to extract those file on my desktop and put it in some folder in my PDA. However - Images are too big and even vga resolution is not enough. But! It's close to enough if I am viewing pics in landslide mode in original size. Switching to landslide mode is a bit annoying (I mean switching to landslide in W2003 SE os) wouldn't it be possible to view pics in landslide mode if I tick some option? I can rotate pics now on my desktop, but still - this will be definitely more comfortable...

3.) One page of comic is usually some 800x1800 pixels. I need to resize the image on my PC to ????x640 pixels, turn the PDA to landslide mode, run xnView, select original size and then I am able to scroll down the image to see whole page (I am actually scrolling the image to the left, as I am holding PDA in landslide mode). This sounds (and is) a bit complicated, but at least some way to read comics :).
Can't xnView do the resize for me? I mean - it would be nice to have an option Fit Width, and option to view image in landslide mode. That means - let's have image 800x1800 pixels. My PDA screen is only 480x640 pixels. When I open the image I'd like to: Rotate the image, so it'll be 800x1800 pixels. 800x1800 pixels is still too big to display on 480x640 so xnView should resize it to 640x1440. Display this image on my screen so I see 640x480 pixels of it. Now I can scroll the image to the left (actually down, as I am hodling my PDA in landslide mode) and see the rest of the image.
As I said - this IS actually possible, if I do the rotate and resize operation on my desktop. But it'd be nice to have it in xnView :)

4.) This scrolling with my fingers is great but a bit annoying also. I mean - sometime when I tap screen "not right" it comes back to browser. Wouldn't it be possible to have option "ignore taps, use touchscreen for scrolling only?"

5.) If I already rotated and resized iamges, put them in one folder and scrolling them - there's one annoying thing. I am in landslide mode. I open teh image, scroll it down, and use the button on my pda to advance to next image. But I see the bottom of next image, so I have to scroll up, manualy. Why is it so?

6.) It would be supercool, if it won't be necessary to advance to next picture manually. So if I am scrolling down the picture, and the picture is already at bottom, it just advance to the next pixture in the folder. Or - even better - start displaying the top of next image, with the bottom of first image still visible. Also - scrolling image with fingers on screen is sometimes unwanted. Is there a option to scroll image with up/down/left/right buttons (sorry if there is already, i somehow can't find it...) and advance to next image with some other button?

uff I don't know if You understand what I am asking for, it must sound complicated... however, You may want to check http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay and - that's exactly what I'd like to have on PPC (only in landslide mode) Unfortunatelly there is no such a viewer for PDA. I searched the google, asked the people - nobody knows :( Don't You want be to first who'll make it? :)

I can also make some drawings of what I am talking about - just let me know, and I'll draw them and send it to Your email.
I would really appreciate if You implement any of that suggestion (if it's not very difficult) xnView is a GREAT viewer, and if I can help You somehow just let me know! [i can translate it Slovak localization, if there isn't one already, and You want to have one... :)]

Thanks a million, for reading this! Keep up perfect work!!!
wray

uffffff

Post by wray »

oh my bad my bad!!! i posted it to the windows forum, could anyone please move this thread to pocket pc suggestions/requests?

Thanks....

Of course. :) - Dreamer