1.90 for Linux? When? 1.70 is outdated and unusable!

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

raducoc

1.90 for Linux? When? 1.70 is outdated and unusable!

Post by raducoc »

I tryed XnView v1.70 in my Linux box but Im desapointed. Is practically unusable.

I have installed Beryl 0.13, and when Im starting XnView, is messing everything around. The windows are transparent and I cant fix this, Titlebar are dessapearing, etc. Practically unusable. This version is using Motif, Im right? Maybe this is the source of problems? If so, I think the solution will be to move the development of XnView to a more solid and multiplatform compatible development environment like WxWidgets or Qt.

You has promissed a more actual version of XnView for Linux, right? When this will be available? I cant wait, I cant wait!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 1.90 for Linux? When? 1.70 is outdated and unusable!

Post by xnview »

raducoc wrote:I tryed XnView v1.70 in my Linux box but Im desapointed. Is practically unusable.

I have installed Beryl 0.13, and when Im starting XnView, is messing everything around. The windows are transparent and I cant fix this, Titlebar are dessapearing, etc. Practically unusable. This version is using Motif, Im right? Maybe this is the source of problems? If so, I think the solution will be to move the development of XnView to a more solid and multiplatform compatible development environment like WxWidgets or Qt.

You has promissed a more actual version of XnView for Linux, right? When this will be available? I cant wait, I cant wait!
When 1.90 (windows) will be release, i'll work on this version...
Pierre.
raducoc

Re: 1.90 for Linux? When? 1.70 is outdated and unusable!

Post by raducoc »

xnview wrote: When 1.90 (windows) will be release, i'll work on this version...
Wow! This will be great. I cant wait to test the betas and report the bugs. :)
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

While we're waiting all that's left to do is...

WINING IT!

Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
joneall

Post by joneall »

Great news that Pierre will do 1.9 for Linux.

In the meantime, please explain how to do to run it under wine.

Merci.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

It's pretty easy.

I installed wine and, in my case, I just extracted the xnview-beta zip to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ and then added the xnview.exe to winecfg.

Then you just run: wine "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/XnView-beta-6/xnview.exe" :)
WDef

Post by WDef »

1. I wouldn't describe v1.7 as "unusable" on linux just because there are a few issues. Please show a little sensitivity/gratitude in your choice of words - developers spend large amounts of their time making programs like this for you to use _free_.

On damnsmalllinux XnView allows us to view animated gifs without fuss, and it has powerful and easy to use image conversion capabilities. Pretty good I think.

WxWidgets or Qt
PLEASE Pierre don't use anything bulky like Qt for your next linux release - I think it may be unrunnable on Damnsmalllinux.

Unless I'm mistaken Qt is a huge download to install, is it not (35MB sources)?

Also I've had trouble with WxWidgets on Fedora Core - there are bad rpms around apparently.

The simple lightweight GUI methodologies that are available preinstalled on all or most distros work just as well as these fancy things - what counts is what's under the hood.
raducoc

Post by raducoc »

WDef wrote:1. I wouldn't describe v1.7 as "unusable" on linux just because there are a few issues. Please show a little sensitivity/gratitude in your choice of words - developers spend large amounts of their time making programs like this for you to use _free_.

On damnsmalllinux XnView allows us to view animated gifs without fuss, and it has powerful and easy to use image conversion capabilities. Pretty good I think.

WxWidgets or Qt
PLEASE Pierre don't use anything bulky like Qt for your next linux release - I think it may be unrunnable on Damnsmalllinux.

Unless I'm mistaken Qt is a huge download to install, is it not (35MB sources)?

Also I've had trouble with WxWidgets on Fedora Core - there are bad rpms around apparently.

The simple lightweight GUI methodologies that are available preinstalled on all or most distros work just as well as these fancy things - what counts is what's under the hood.
Well, personally I dont share your point of view. Xnview 1.70 IS UNUSABLE under Linux. I intented with two distros. Kubuntu 6.10 and SUSE 10.2. Same problems. Transparent windows.

Im running better and Im more happy with the latest 1.90 beta runing in wine!!!! The native 1.70 with motif is a crap. Sorry to say this but is true.

Please take a look here:

http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ot3so9.png

and here:

http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ot2hh5.png

What do you prefer? The first picture or the second one? No photomontage, just screenshoots from my Linux desktop using two different versions of XnView. First in the newest windows beta and the second is the "native" Linux one, both taked when showing the same picture. Impressive, ah? Now you understand why Im saing the Linux version is unusable? And one more think. Linux world is preparing to switch to an accelerated 3D desktop. Who do you think will use outdated development environment to create software compatible with the newest desktops? Who will use such a software? Please dont be romantic and lets face the reality. Motif is totally outdated. Motif is the past, Qt or WxWidgets or something egual are the future.
raducoc

Post by raducoc »

And one more think. KDE 4 will run under Linux, OSX and ... Windows. So, newer was so easy before to create multiplatform programs using QT. For who dont know, Qt tools are used to develop the KDE.

But Qt isnt the only one alternative to WxWidgets. Please take a loof at Pixel program ( www.kanzelsberger.com ) and especially at this thread:

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290

Pixel is developed for a LOT of platform and dont use Qt or WxWidgets.

Hope this help.
raducoc

Post by raducoc »

And beacouse XnView 1.90beta6 is working very well under Linux using Wine, I think will not be so difficult to make a natural port of XnView to this OS.

Please take a look here:
http://www.winehq.com/site/winelib

Hope this help.
WDef

Post by WDef »

Let's not get too upset about it, raducoc, though passion is good ;=)

1. The look of the gui on the linux desktop means little to me, so long as it works. Looks are nice, but it's the functionality that counts. On that, I agree there are issues with v1.7, my point was more to do with using harsh words like "crap". I've used v1.7; I have a few annoyances with it. And as you say, in the meantime there's wine.

2. Qt, and KDE: I'm so tired of bigware, we get enough of that on Windows and the big distros (I've used and use Fedora and Debian). Though these have their place, granted. KDE is improving very fast. BUT perhaps if Pierre does choose Qt, he might also consider doing a gtk2 version or something lighter, if it's not too much. I'm not familiar with Pixel.

Anyway that's all I have to say on this, besides thank you Pierre for your efforts.
MCD

Post by MCD »

I have just tried out XnView 1.70 for x86 Linux and noticed the that JPEG lossless-crop doesn't work, although you can select the corresponding checkbox-item, but apply does nothing.

Also what is funny is that you can't deselect the checkbox with the flip/rotations at all, so that may be the cause of the problem.

I hope those problems will be fixed in XnView 1.90 for Linux

thanks
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

So... any news??

I'd go for wxWidgets, but as long as it looks decent and works, anything is welcome :)
adesigninteractive

Post by adesigninteractive »

raducoc wrote:Well, personally I dont share your point of view. Xnview 1.70 IS UNUSABLE under Linux. I intented with two distros. Kubuntu 6.10 and SUSE 10.2. Same problems. Transparent windows.
you may be "using" these distributions, but based on your commentary, i suspect that perhaps you've not got them in a proper configuration.
raducoc wrote:The native 1.70 with motif is a crap.
is this pre-installed on your distribution, or did you make the choice to use this software? i'm trying to figure out why raducoc is complaining about a free (to the best of my knowledge, 3rd party). if you're using KDE, then don't you have KView, DigiKam, etc? Gthumb, or others? if this user reads my comment, i hope he or she will explain this anger. it would seem as the user hasn't other options for image viewing, or perhaps is unaware of other, perhaps more suitable viewers.

(i.e. bananas do make me vomit. but i haven't yet destroyed any banana trees because i find no value or reward in the effort. i have other options)
raducoc wrote:Linux world is preparing to switch to an accelerated 3D desktop.
i suspect this comes from the official "Linux World Report"?

darn it! why am i not keeping up with all of this sensible information! should i fear that my CentOS server is going to fail my network clients? hmm...

;)
raducoc

Post by raducoc »

adesigninteractive wrote:you may be "using" these distributions, but based on your commentary, i suspect that perhaps you've not got them in a proper configuration.
I think my systems are proper configured. The problem is the accelerated 3D desktop who dont support motif.
adesigninteractive wrote:is this pre-installed on your distribution, or did you make the choice to use this software? i'm trying to figure out why raducoc is complaining about a free (to the best of my knowledge, 3rd party). if you're using KDE, then don't you have KView, DigiKam, etc? Gthumb, or others? if this user reads my comment, i hope he or she will explain this anger. it would seem as the user hasn't other options for image viewing, or perhaps is unaware of other, perhaps more suitable viewers.

(i.e. bananas do make me vomit. but i haven't yet destroyed any banana trees because i find no value or reward in the effort. i have other options)
I have other alternatives, I know, but NO ONE can open the files in fullscreen mode!!! I want (when I doubleclick in konqueror) to open my graphic files and view them directly in fullscreen! A SIMPLE feature, but no other viewer can make this!
adesigninteractive wrote:i suspect this comes from the official "Linux World Report"?
No, this comes from my observation!