Installer placed XnView in strange places

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

MCD

Installer placed XnView in strange places

Post by MCD »

I usedto use XnView for Windows, now I'm using 1.7 under some kind of debian GNU/Linux derivative. This version of XnView is most likely as great as the windows version, but I'm a bit confused the installer script put the configuration files in /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults instead of /etc/X11/app-defaults which is the usual place for my such things in my distro.

Now I have manually moved the files and I'm wondering whether this is a good idea or whether XnView always uses the /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults path for its configuration file or is there a way to tell XnView that the path should now be /etc/X11/app-defaults?

btw. is there a .deb-packaged version of XnView? I could build a .deb on my own and thus help XnView if I wasn't such a noob in debian package generation :D

Is there a way that debian puts xnview into its repository? I guess there are some license problems, but they got the contrib for that?
gwms19

Post by gwms19 »

/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults is the correct place for .ad files on all Linux distributions on the planet except for Debian.

It's a conscious decisicion by the Debian maintainers to deviate from the rest of the world in this respect; they and their users just have to live with it.