Capturing without having XnView in the picture? (Linux)

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Strranger

Capturing without having XnView in the picture? (Linux)

Post by Strranger »

Hello,

I have just installed XnView for X11/Motiv, Version 1.68.1, Libformat 4.16 running under SuSE 9.0.
When I try to capture a picture, the only way it works at all is:

1. running my application (e. g. Konqueror)
2. starting XnView - Alt/F2 - xnview [Enter]; (it starts up only as a small bar)
3. selecting: File - Capture
4. "Capture setup" appears like this:

[ ] Desktop
[x] Single Window...................................................[x] include Decoration
[ ] Select a Window

[a list of possible open windows dimmed down (not selecable)]

[Apply].......................................................[Cancel]

5. I click on "Apply"
6. a crosshair appears
7. I click into a window and wherever I click I will get only the exact screen that I can see (including all the other windows (and XnView) on the screen :-(

selecting/unselecting "include Decoration" does not make any difference.

- if I change the selection (4.) to "[x] Desktop", it is still the same.

- if I change the selection (4.) to "[x] Select a Window", then I can select a window out of the List. When I click on "Apply" it seems, that XnView takes a picture but after one second XnView disappears without any message (crash?)

Questions?
1. do I have the correct version of XnView?
2. Is it possible to select just ONE window? If so, how do I get there?
3. In the list of windows ("Capture setup") I miss the name of one application (VariCAD) which is running as well . How can I capture it though (if it is posible at all)?
4. Is there a temorary file where I have to collect the screenshots?

Thanx for the help in advance

Stranger

PS:
I am still learning LINUX, and yet I depend on detailed step by step help ;-)
crazytb

Post by crazytb »

I was about to make this wish, when I read your message:

I wish that XnView hides itself (or, at least, the "capture window") after clicking on "Apply" button. It is impossible to make a good screenshot with "Capture window" on top of it.

Another good idea is "capture after <x> seconds". Both ideas were taken from Gimp. See:
crazytb

Re: How to capture windows without having XnView in the pict

Post by crazytb »

Strranger wrote:- if I change the selection (4.) to "[x] Select a Window", then I can select a window out of the List. When I click on "Apply" it seems, that XnView takes a picture but after one second XnView disappears without any message (crash?)
Yes, crash! At least someone also has this crash!!! Do this: open some terminal (or console, or shell, whatever the name is) and run XnView from there (type "xnview" at terminal and press enter). So, all output messages from XnView will be shown in console.

When I try to capture a window by selecting its name, I have:
****** Error detected ******
Strranger wrote:Questions?
1. do I have the correct version of XnView?
Yes
Strranger wrote:2. Is it possible to select just ONE window? If so, how do I get there?
It is tricky with XnView... If the window you want to capture is maximized, it is impossible with current XnView features. If not, you may move "Capture" window away from visible area of desired window. So, click on Apply and make the shot. You may want to give focus to "Apply" button, so you just need to press "Space" on keyboard to "activate" that button. This way, you could try to move "Capture window" off screen.
Strranger wrote:3. In the list of windows ("Capture setup") I miss the name of one application (VariCAD) which is running as well . How can I capture it though (if it is posible at all)?
Currently, selecting window by name does not work (I have similar problems here). Use "Single window" feature, then click on "Apply", then click on desired window.
Strranger wrote:4. Is there a temorary file where I have to collect the screenshots?
No, After above steps, XnView will show the "captured" image. This is a simple image, and you may do anything with it, including save. So, just select File->Save to save the image.