XnView on Xandros 3

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

david12

XnView on Xandros 3

Post by david12 »

I've used the following RPM files through a device called Xandros Networks to install XnView on my computer.
  • XnView-static-fc4.i386.rpm
    lesstif-0.95.0-1.i586.rpm
    lesstif-clients-0.95.0-1.i586.rpm
    lesstif-devel-0.95.0-1.i586.rpm
    lesstif-mwm-0.95.0-1.i586.rpm
Xandros Networks is a device to facilitate the installation of software for novice Linux users. And I am a novice.
The Xandros Networks process converts the RPM files to DEB files, then installs them. Apparently, all the files installed, but XnView will not start.
Is there something else I need to do (or undo)?
Thank you.
david12
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnView on Xandros 3

Post by xnview »

david12 wrote:I've used the following RPM files through a device called Xandros Networks to install XnView on my computer.
  • XnView-static-fc4.i386.rpm
    lesstif-0.95.0-1.i586.rpm
    lesstif-clients-0.95.0-1.i586.rpm
    lesstif-devel-0.95.0-1.i586.rpm
    lesstif-mwm-0.95.0-1.i586.rpm
Xandros Networks is a device to facilitate the installation of software for novice Linux users. And I am a novice.
The Xandros Networks process converts the RPM files to DEB files, then installs them. Apparently, all the files installed, but XnView will not start.
Is there something else I need to do (or undo)?
Thank you.
What do you have in the console when you start xnview?
Pierre.
david12

Post by david12 »

I tried to launch XnView by opening the console in /usr/bin and typing "xnview". The console responded as follows:

david@linux-laptop:/usr/bin$ xnview
xnview: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
david@linux-laptop:/usr/bin$

I used a find tool to look for "libstdc++.so.6", but I did not find it on my hard drive.

Thank you.
david12
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

david12 wrote:I tried to launch XnView by opening the console in /usr/bin and typing "xnview". The console responded as follows:

david@linux-laptop:/usr/bin$ xnview
xnview: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
david@linux-laptop:/usr/bin$

I used a find tool to look for "libstdc++.so.6", but I did not find it on my hard drive.

Thank you.
And you have not libstdc++ for Xandros on the net??
Pierre.
david12

Post by david12 »

Xandros Networks' holds the following files. It will install or remove them, as commanded.
  • libstdc++2.10-dbg
    libstdc++2.10-dev
    libstdc++2.10-glibc.2.2
    libstdc++5
    libstdc++5-3.3-dbg
    libstdc++5-3.3-dev
    libstdc++5-3.3-doc
    libstdc++5-3.3-pic
    libstdc++6
    libstdc++6-dbg
    libstdc++6-dev
    libstdc++6-doc
    libstdc++6-pic
These are shown as installed on my computer:
  • libstdc++2.10-dbg
    libstdc++2.10-dev
    libstdc++2.10-glibc.2.2
I presume that I should install the ++6 series. I know so little about what I'm doing, however, that I am concerned about disturbing something. Would you happen to know if 2 can coexist with 6? Will 6 replace the functionality of 2 so that only 6 need be installed?

I understand that this information may not be available to you, but I thought there would be no harm in asking.

Thank you for your time.
david12
edefault

Post by edefault »

This thread seems a little outdated, perhaps it's worth to re-animate...

Astonishingly there appears to be no ready-to-go Debian package of XnView ,
which is sad, given the fact that even the XnView logo has the Debian spiral in it.

I like XnView very much and use it frequently on IRIX 6.5.22.
But still no luck with Xandros 3 for me, too...

The libstdc++6 issue has been discussed in
http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php ... ht=libstdc
and it seems at least one user has the XnView .rpm package running on Xandros through installation of additional packages form Debian unsupported.

I tried to install the libstdc++6 via Xandros Networks but it hangs at 98% of something (these Linuxes want to compete Windows I guess).
Killed it.
  • apt-get install libstdc++6
does install something, only to end up in
  • ./xnview: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by ./xnview)
Any progress anyone?

TIA

Walther