Geotagging: adding GPS data to the image EXIF contents

Frequently Asked Questions regarding XnView (including Answers)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

CameronD

Geotagging: adding GPS data to the image EXIF contents

Post by CameronD »

Thanks to a couple of threads in this forum, I found some software for geotagging my images. Then with Google I found some more.
In fact, I found so many that I thought it would be useful to summarise my findings as a mini-review.

I have posted it here: http://web.aanet.com.au/cameron/GPS/GPS-images.html

Update Nov 2012:
I have changed ISP, so the link is now dead.
My list was hopelessly out of date, as many more programs now offer geotagging, and the limitations I found in the programs in my original list are all probably wrong.

I am still happily using geosetter.
Last edited by CameronD on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
helmut

Re: Geotagging: adding GPS data to the image EXIF contents

Post by helmut »

CameronD wrote:I have posted it here: http://web.aanet.com.au/cameron/gps/GPS-images.html
You have created a very interesting overview of various Geotagging programs, CameronD. :-)

Just to make sure:
XnView supports Geotags by displaying them as part of the EXIF info and opening the appropriate location in Google Maps. But XnView 1.92 cannot add tags to images.
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

CameronD wrote:Thanks to a couple of threads in this forum, I found some software for geotagging my images. Then with Google I found some more.
In fact, I found so many that I thought it would be useful to summarise my findings as a mini-review.

I have posted it here: http://web.aanet.com.au/cameron/GPS/GPS-images.html
good summary.
Suggestion: precise what tool is indeed used to set the meta data, e.g. GeoSetter is using ExifTool, and thus sometimes slow. So it could be a new column "tagger" in your table, either with "internal" or e.g. "ExifTool".
Another column could be the "mapping" tool, e.g. GoogleMaps for GeoSetter.
I am using Geosetter because ExifTool has afaik the most completed support of meta data (tagging of CR2 files)
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

Eric B wrote:...
good summary.
Suggestion: precise what tool is indeed used to set the meta data, e.g. GeoSetter is using ExifTool, and thus sometimes slow. So it could be a new column "tagger" in your table, either with "internal" or e.g. "ExifTool".
Another column could be the "mapping" tool, e.g. GoogleMaps for GeoSetter.
I can see the value in your suggestions, but I have uninstalled everything other than Geosetter, so I cannot easily comment on many of them.
I too find the speed of Geosetter rather slow, but I am happy to trade speed for a value I can trust.

Edit: these issues have been fixed now...
I don't use the maps as Geosetter does not load any most of the time - a bug to do with getting proxy settings - I am not sure if it is geosetter itself or the underlying system support, because it will only work once and then I need to reboot the PC to get mapping working again.
Last edited by CameronD on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

reginaliya wrote:How can I upload GPS locations from my laptop to a website automatically at set intervals? I have a USB GPS receiver on my laptop with ....
I don't think this is the right place to ask. I specifically did not test any products that involved external web sites.
These programs, like XnView, are mainly designed around modifying images locally, although you might upload the images later, after they have been suitably annotated.
sisavwey

Post by sisavwey »

Why not choose a GPS devoice that records geo info to photos automatically when shooting, no use software?

Gears: D300S, D7000, Eztag GPS
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

sisavwey wrote:Why not choose a GPS devoice that records geo info to photos automatically...
That solution would be OK if you were just starting, and it suited your purpose.
In my case, I already have cameras and lenses for which that option is ridiculously expensive, and I already have a more capable GPS receiver and logger, with which I was already recording detailed gps tracks from my trips.

The one definite advantage with your hardware solution is that the camera direction is also included in the image, based in an inbuilt compass.

The recent versions of geosetter permit the camera direction to be manually inserted into the image, by drawing the direction in the Google earth window.
My main concern would be ... is the connection available immediately after the camera is turned on and ready to take the image?
mactakar

Post by mactakar »

Jetphoto software is also a good software which can work on windows and mac.
I read a recommendation article here about Eztag which quite interest me http://www.photolife.com/blog/?p=3063, but I wonder if there is a handheld gps which can geotag directly via bluetooth or wifi and can also record the tracking.