Difference between XnView and XnView MP

Frequently Asked Questions regarding XnView (including Answers)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

DoubleD

Difference between XnView and XnView MP

Post by DoubleD »

I have both on my windows desktop

As far as photo manipulation goes - How different are these two products? Is one more efficient than the other or does it offer more functionality ?

I see that XnViewMP is multi platform - If I am strictly using a Windows platform is XnView and XnViewMP identical ?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: XnView vs. XnViewMP

Post by XnTriq »

DoubleD

Re: XnView vs. XnViewMP

Post by DoubleD »

I realize this is an old post but I got a new PC an was re-adding XnView and its the same old story - Which one did I use and like XnView or XnViewMP

I see the the sticky "What the diff between" but I also see "List of missing features" So I'm still confused as to which is better :?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Difference between XnView and XnView MP

Post by XnTriq »

Since you're a Windows user, you can choose between XnView “Classic” and MP (Multi Platform).
While the Classic edition is only available as a 32-bit application, MP 64-bit is able to benefit from the advantages of modern hardware and operating systems, resulting in increased perfomance (64-bit computing). Another major advantage of MP is it's native support for Unicode.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with any version of XnView. However, which version is better for you personally largely depends on what your requirements are: organizing, viewing, editing, batch conversion, …
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

XnTriq wrote: I don't think you'll be disappointed with any version of XnView. However, which version is better for you personally largely depends on what your requirements are: organizing, viewing, editing, batch conversion, …
Thanks for the reply

I know I had both classic and MP on my old PC and I remember that one had more options (one I used) that the other but I can't remember what those options were. I will be taking some photos soon (nonprofessional for a youth organization, no charge of course) and I know I will be tweaking them I just wish I could remember which one I used. I guess I'll have to try them both. I will say when I saw the "List of features not in XnViewMP" I automatically thought "oh I don't want to lose functionality ... "
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I wish I could give you a definitive answer :-|
Let me put it like this: MP has caught up quite a bit since this topic was started, and if you're working with metadata (IPTC/XMP) a lot, I'd recommend MP.