How to Batch convert several images at once

Frequently Asked Questions regarding XnView (including Answers)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

How to Batch convert several images at once

Post by helmut »

With XnView you can resize image or apply effects and filters by opening and editing an image. Often you want to apply the same operation to several images. Below please find a description on how to apply an effect, filter, or any other operation on many files at once. You will use the "Batch conversion" of XnView to achieve this.

As an example for a batch conversion, here are the steps for resizing several image files to 50% of their original size:

1.) Select one or several files in the XnView browser
2.) Select "Tools > Batch Convert..."
3.) In the "Batch Convert" dialog, switch to tab "Transformation". There you will see two lists, on the left the list of available transformations, on the right the selected transformations. At first, the list of selected transformation is empty.
4.) Select transformation "Image > Resize", and add this transformation by pressing the "Add" button
5.) On the right side select the transformation "Resize". The process "Resize" has parameters which you can see on the bottom right. Here you select the "%" radiobutton, and then enter "50" for both width and height.
6.) Switch back to the tab "General".
7.) Specify the output directory for the converted files
8.) Choose the format for the converted files. The output file format may differ from the format of the original images. For example, you may wish to convert "jpg" to "gif" or "png".
9.) Confirm your choices in the "Batch convert" dialog with "Go".

XnView will convert all the selected files and save them in the output directory.

Notes:
- If you simply want to change the format of the images (i.e., "jpg" to "gif"), you can leave out steps 3-6.

- In the dialog "Batch convert", you can add and remove files from the file list, if needed. The files may stem from different directories.

- A more detailed description of the Batch conversion can be found in the XnView Online help in the chapter, "Using XnView > Multiple Image Convert".
Last edited by helmut on Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

There's a placeholder $ which provides additional flexibility:

$ is the placeholder for the current directory. Placing "$\converted\" in the output directory field tells the program to create the subfolder "converted" underneath the original subfolder.

=== A sample with "$\converted\" in field "Output directory":
Source:
c:\My Pictures\1.jpg
c:\My Pictures\2.jpg

Result:
c:\My Pictures\converted\1.jpg
c:\My Pictures\converted\2.jpg

Note: Taken from marsh's post in topic "relative paths in batch convert".
mlm3292

Re: How to Batch convert several images at once

Post by mlm3292 »

Hello

I have just installed XnView for MAC (version MP v0.21) and I am trying to find how to Batch resize several images at once... But the description you make is not available on my version ... I only have the "Batch rename option" but I can't find any "Batch convert" menu.
Can you Help me ?! I have choosen XnView because I thaught it can do that...

Marie (from France)
helmut

Post by helmut »

mlm3292 wrote:I have just installed XnView for MAC (version MP v0.21) and I am trying to find how to Batch resize several images at once... But the description you make is not available on my version ... I only have the "Batch rename option" but I can't find any "Batch convert" menu.
Can you Help me ?! I have choosen XnView because I thaught it can do that...
XnView MP v0.21 is a test version which is expected to be instable and still lacks of various functionality, batch conversion for example. You have to wait for further test versions or even better the final release, but this may take some more weeks or months.
helmut

Post by helmut »

If you want to batch convert several images only and use a graphical user interface, XnConvert might be the right tool for you. Please note that XnConvert is available as beta version, only.
helmut

Post by helmut »

PhotoNerd wrote:Thanks for the post Helmut, as I thought I would contribute for people like mlm who should maybe take a look at the wiki first. I will post a link here and for any other newcomers take a look at this and it should give you a good overview of batch conversion in xnview. http://wiki.xnview.com/index.php/Batch_Conversion
This link makes much sense, the Wiki entry is helpful and informative. Thanks, PhotoNerd! :-)