Thumbnail size misfeature

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

nightflyer

Thumbnail size misfeature

Post by nightflyer »

After I changed thumbnail size, (it was from 96x72 to 192x144) all my thumbnail cache was deleted.
I think it is a misfeature.
Also, there should be an option to magnify thumbnails with no recreating them and an option so that thumbnail size change is applied only to current directory.

V 1.90 <x>
-=nightflyer=-
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Right: I think there is some room for improvements here.

Some brainstorming add-on:
- Different Thumbnails size per folder (ex: large for my own photos +removable medias; small for everything else)
- Different Thumbnails sizes immediately available without re-generation
- Possibility to zoom In/Out at will
(I'll try to add more real thinking later)
Olivier
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Ideas:
- Just 1 thumbnail size in cache is needed per image: smaller display can be computed in high quality, larger display can be interpolated.
- Modifying thumbnail display temporary (menu/toolbar) should not change permanent setting for cache. Setting for cache should be available in Options only.
- When Cache is OFF, modifying thumbnail display with menu/toolbar can become the new setting (as thumbnail is generated from image directly and no cache is used).

Suggestion:
- Don't change Options
- Change Menu View>Thumbnails size with:

Code: Select all

Increase 10%  [+create shortcut]
Decrease 10%  [+create shortcut]
No zoom (1:1)  [active only if Cache is enabled]
------
Current zoom: xx%  [active only if Cache is enabled]
Thumbnail size: ...x...
(as explained: it would be a temporary zooming on thumbnails with Cache; a permanent setting without Cache)
Ideally, that menu item could be replaced with a zooming slider (in the separation between filelist/preview/tree or as a toolbar button).

Olivier
PS: the per folder setting would be possible with X Y stored/shown in the DB, but should be discussed in more details in a separate thread.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I want to be able to chose to store a "local" thumbnail cache in designated folders.

XnView would examine the folder contents looking for foldername.db and use the thumbs stored in it if available (instead of using the central cache).

That way I could zip and transmit the folder, its images, plus the thumbnail cache to another XnView user...

Or store same on a CD.

Not for ALL folders, just ones I designate...
John
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Re: Thumbnail size misfeature

Post by Olivier_G »

nightflyer wrote:After I changed thumbnail size (it was from 96x72 to 192x144) all my thumbnail cache was deleted. I think it is a misfeature.
This should be fixed for 1.90 (not removing all thumbnails, so that user can revert Thumbnails size in Options and re-use previous Cache).

Other suggestions are postponed.
Olivier
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Re: Thumbnail size misfeature

Post by Olivier_G »

Olivier_G wrote:
nightflyer wrote:After I changed thumbnail size (it was from 96x72 to 192x144) all my thumbnail cache was deleted. I think it is a misfeature.
This should be fixed for 1.90 (not removing all thumbnails, so that user can revert Thumbnails size in Options and re-use previous Cache).
Fixed in beta 6! :D

Other - great - suggestions are postponed.
Olivier
Danny

Post by Danny »

Olivier_G wrote:Ideas:
- Just 1 thumbnail size in cache is needed per image: smaller display can be computed in high quality, larger display can be interpolated.
- Modifying thumbnail display temporary (menu/toolbar) should not change permanent setting for cache. Setting for cache should be available in Options only.
- When Cache is OFF, modifying thumbnail display with menu/toolbar can become the new setting (as thumbnail is generated from image directly and no cache is used).
I like that better compared to that. That's how ThumbsPlus does it btw.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.