[REQ] Same style for all register tabs

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lesmo16

[REQ] Same style for all register tabs

Post by Lesmo16 »

It's not a bug - it's just cosmetical. ;)

I like to suggest to use only *one* style for register tabs.
IMHO, there are too many icons in xnView - so I would highly prefer the solution on the right.
The captions could be: Folders / Favourites / Catgories

Pierre, please consider to implement this - even in RC stage. :)

XnView 1.90 <x>
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
helmut

Post by helmut »

I'm not so sure with this and think that this needs discussing. MS Explorer uses buttons for switching the panes "Search" and "Folders". This is exactly what XnView does for "Folders/Favourites/Categories" on the left side of the above above screenshot.

- Tabs for switching panes
To be honest, I never liked the buttons for hiding/showing a pane because it's not that obvious which buttons can be used for switching. And for switching panes there is the Tab control which does the same thing.

- Buttons for switching panes
There's an important difference between the buttons and the tab control:
The buttons can be located anywhere, even in a toolbar, whereas the tabs of the tab control must be located next to the pane they control.

Currently, the buttons used in XnView are always located above the pane they refer to. So in XnView's case we could use the tab approach instead of the button approach.

On the other hand I wouldn't want the empty to the right of the folder tabs (left of "Properties/Histogram/EXIF").

I think for the 1.90 we should stick to the buttons - even if it looks as if different controls are used for achieving the same functionality.
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

I just asked for the same style of control for both sides - prefering the right solution.
So the left solution for both sides would also be better than the actual situation.
But I highly recommend to use readable captions instead of icons!
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!