Hotkeys / Shortcuts Requests

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Hotkeys / Shortcuts Requests

Post by Dreamer »

You can make requests for new hotkeys and shortcuts here, or you can start a new topic (for larger requests).

Before posting a request please check here and make sure that it hasn't been requested before and whether this hotkey/shortcut is not reserved for another option. You can find a list of all hotkeys/shortcuts in the XnView Help (press F1 in XnView to show) or here.

If you want support Custom Hotkeys/Shortcuts, you can do it here.
Last edited by Dreamer on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:56 am, edited 48 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: More hotkeys, shortcuts...

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:- Options - F12
- Open with - F4 (like in file managers) - maybe open with a main associated program for appropriate type (e.g. mp3 with Winamp, avi with WMP...)
- Add Text... - Shift+T
- Canvas size - Shift+C
- Automatic crop - Shift+Y
- Properties - remove Ctrl+E, there is already a standard shortcut Alt+Enter working
- Red Eye Correction - change to Ctrl+E (Allow it even if there is no area selected - show message "Select area first")

- Slideshow start/stop - Space/Pause/custom ?
- Create new folder - F7 (like in file managers)

- Custom hotkeys (more here)

[old / requested before] - [not requested before] - [new] - [already implemented]

I know, some hotkeys have been requested before, I want just collect all of them, I think it's a better way than start a new topic for every single hotkey/shortcut...

You can comment my hotkeys/shortcuts and/or add your own... I will update my list then...
Ok, thanks
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Update - Lossless rotation (by Xyzzy) - any suggestions for (default) hotkeys/keyboard shortcuts ?

Update 2 - I've found this:
Rotate -90 - Shift+L
Rotate +90 - Shift+R
Vertical Flip - Shift+V
Horizontal Flip - Shift+H

I think it's not the best solution and ctrl+..keys are reserved... What about this:

Rotate -90 - Shift+Left Arrow
Rotate +90 - Shift+Right Arrow
Vertical Flip - Shift+Up Arrow
Horizontal Flip - Shift+Down Arrow

Lossless Rotate -90 - Ctrl+Left Arrow
Lossless Rotate +90 - Ctrl+Right Arrow
Lossless Vertical Flip - Ctrl+Up Arrow
Lossless Horizontal Flip - Ctrl+Down Arrow

More updates above... (red)
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Added to the list - shortcut Save As - Alt+S (because CTRL+SHIFT+S is already in use)
jerry76 wrote:What I'd like to request as a feature is a pretty basic shortcut: calling the "Save as" dialogue by the key combination "CTRL + SHIFT + s".
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Anika wrote:
Dreamer wrote: Keyboard shortcut? For Options?
For toggle between normal and high quality view. But for options would also be nice.
Keyboard shortcut for toggle between normal and high quality view added.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer et al,

I assume you are all aware that combinations with Alt are not intended as shortcuts. Shortcuts should always use Ctrl or Ctrl+Shift. Since XnView is a graphic application, normal keys and Shift + key can be used, too.

But Alt + <letter> are special shortcuts used for menus, also called mnemonics. For example in XnView, you press Alt+T, then E for Tools > Sequence convert. Right after pressing the Alt key, you will see that characters in the menus are underlined. These can be used to quickly accessed by typing the appropriate letter.

When using Alt + <letter> combinations, mnemonics for this letter will no longer work. So you should really careful when introducing Alt + <letter> shortcuts and first check all languages whether the letter is used in the menus or not. Actually on the other hand, in many translators haven't used mnemonics in the past. This should change in future, since these can be very handy and make usage flexible. So I do not recommend using mnemonics as shortcuts.

Greetings,

Helmut
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:I assume you are all aware that combinations with Alt are not intended as shortcuts...
Yes but XnView already uses Alt+ key combinations...

However, I'll try to change it or at least to add "?" next to Alt+ combinations.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:
helmut wrote:I assume you are all aware that combinations with Alt are not intended as shortcuts...
Yes but XnView already uses Alt+ key combinations...
Right. "Properties" with Alt+Enter are o.k., since Alt+Enter is not a real mnemonic (mnemonics are Alt + <letter>).

But there's Red Eye correction and the Copy/Move to folder. That's no good and in the version 1.74 you can see the problem it causes:
When using English on-screen language, in image mode the mnemonic assigned for the menu "Edit" is "E", but this does not work since it is "overwritten" by the shortcut for Red Eye Correction. A clear bug.
Dreamer wrote:However, I'll try to change it or at least to add "?" next to Alt+ combinations.
Good.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:However, I'll try to change it or at least to add "?" next to Alt+ combinations.
Good.
Done.

And what about this, is it OK?

- Full Screen - change from Ctrl+F to F

There is one single hotkey (M) already in xnview, so I guess it's OK, also F key would be a better and faster hotkey and mainly - ctrl+F is a standard search shortcut, so users expect that. Another reason for that - users are using primary a mouse (double click, MMB or a toolbar button) for Fullscreen.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Added Brightness, Contrast, Gamma +, -, reset.

There are too many shortcuts now, so I tried to highlight some of them, if you think some others are more important too, let me know...

Pierre, how many of these shortcuts are you planning to implement? Is there any problem, conflict... What you think about it?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

Code: Select all

Brightness +     ... Ctrl+Numpad 7
Brightness Reset ... Ctrl+Numpad 4
Brightness -     ... Ctrl+Numpad 1
Contrast +       ... Ctrl+Numpad 8
Contrast Reset   ... Ctrl+Numpad 5
Contrast -       ... Ctrl+Numpad 2
Gamma +          ... Ctrl+Numpad 9
Gamma Reset      ... Ctrl+Numpad 6
Gamma -          ... Ctrl+Numpad 3
And what you think about "reset" ?
Not quite sure about these shortcuts. I'd expect the cursor block to change navigation (picture, files, selection, ...).
Since it is CTRL+Numpad it might be o.k. 'Reset' for each individual setting is a good idea, perhaps it might be easier using 7-8-9 for "+", 4-5-6 for "-" and "1-2-3" for reset.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:...perhaps it might be easier using 7-8-9 for "+", 4-5-6 for "-" and "1-2-3" for reset.
Yes, but there are arrows - up and down (keys 8, 2) and also - users will be using it mostly for dark images, so they probably press 7, 8, 9 and then (4, 5, 6) reset for other "correct" images... I don't know.

Pierre, I need your statement... Thanks.
Pierre, how many of these shortcuts are you planning to implement? Is there any problem, conflict... What you think about it?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Update:

Another shortcuts moved to "most important" because arrows cannot be fully used if left and right arrows are used for "previous/next file".

New - "F" keys added, any suggestions for the other options for "F" keys are welcomed... (more here).
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Pierre,

thank you very much for implementing so many new hotkeys/shortcuts.

However, there are some important hotkeys/shortcuts in the list, I tried to update it, it was not easy because there is no list of the new shortcuts, so could you check it out and try to implement that shortcuts please?

Thank you very much!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Another update / change:

- Single key for toggle all views - F9

- Single key for toggle custom views - F10 - let user choose / mark views that he wants to toggle with F10

Reason, e.g. now is not possible to change to the Thumbnail-Details view with any key, more (reasons) here.

Maybe you could add the custom views also for F9 key and allow to choose also a single view.

You could add (if needed) Ctrl+Fx keys or Ctrl+1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as direct shortcuts for views.

- Switch the Tabs - F8 (same as in the Avant Browser)

Thank you.