Suggestion> Slideshow unit with msec

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

raser

Suggestion> Slideshow unit with msec

Post by raser »

sometimes we need use slideshow with 0.5 second loop or somewhat.

seems xnview's unit is 1 second.

could the time unit of slideshow be 1 msec?

it would be worthful~

thx a lot!!
Lostclown

Post by Lostclown »

I think second is the most suitable unit.
But if input of decimal fractions of seconds would be recognized, that might bet a good solution (and indicate 500 msec as 0.5).

Actually you can currently type in 0.5 but the slideshow tool interprets that as 0 (seems to ignore the input after the dot) and changes pictures as fast as it can!

Regards, Lostclown
helmut

Post by helmut »

Lostclown wrote:I think second is the most suitable unit.
But if input of decimal fractions of seconds would be recognized, that might bet a good solution (and indicate 500 msec as 0.5).

Actually you can currently type in 0.5 but the slideshow tool interprets that as 0 (seems to ignore the input after the dot) and changes pictures as fast as it can!
Good idea, Lostclown. Since it is simple to use the decimal point but maybe not so clear and intuitive, we should have spin buttons for increasing and decreasing the value using the mouse. When decreasing values, it should go 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.9, 0.8, ...
Or values could be formatted always with one digit right of the decimal point, e.g. "5.0".

Personally I'd prefer the spin buttons and have no default extra digit.
Last edited by helmut on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

helmut wrote:Personally I'd prefer the spin buttons and have no default extra digit.
I agree.
Regards, Lostclown
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

helmut wrote:Personally I'd prefer the spin buttons and have no default extra digit
I wouldn't want to spoil the party here... :D , but I tend to prefer the extra digit version.
The more options you add to do the same thing (without real specific advantage), the more clutter you add. And this never helps the end-user.
Furthermore, I feel that the Option Window is already too complicated, and should be simplified quite a bit.

Olivier
helmut

Post by helmut »

Olivier,
Olivier_G wrote:
helmut wrote:Personally I'd prefer the spin buttons and have no default extra digit
I wouldn't want to spoil the party here... :D , but I tend to prefer the extra digit version.
The more options you add to do the same thing ...
I also think that the number of options should be kept low if possible, but a spinbutton is not an "option". It's a GUI element/component which is widely known and already introduced in XnView (e.g. Tools > Webpage...). For some reason I don't know it's not used everywhere in XnView.

But I've just seen that for gamma correction the extra digits are used (Tools > Options > View), so perhaps you're right. Think both solutions, spinbutton and extra digit are good ways to achieve the goal.
Furthermore, I feel that the Option Window is already too complicated, and should be simplified quite a bit.
Do you think so? If you want to keep all the options (which make XnView flexible), I can see no way to make it much simpler. Suggestions? (Perhaps we continue in an extra topic).
Last edited by helmut on Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:Olivier,
Olivier_G wrote:
The more options you add to do the same thing ...
I also think that the number of options should be kept low if possible, but a spinbutton is not really an option. It's a GUI element/component which is widely known and already introduced in XnView (e.g. Tools > Webpage...). For some reason I don't know it's not used everywhere in XnView.

But I've just seen that for gamma correction the extra digits are used (Tools > Options > View), so perhaps you're right. Think both solutions, spinbutton and extra digit are good ways to achieve the goal.
I agree.

"Spinbuttons" were already requested by me here - Batch Rename - start and step numbers - but no reply :(

There was requested also these additional options for "spinbuttons":

- ability to change the numbers with a mouse wheel
- ability to change the numbers with up and down arrows (keys)

Very useful, I think, more here.