Unicode support please!

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Gingerbread Guy

Unicode support please!

Post by Gingerbread Guy »

Please add Unicode support to XnView. It is currently impossible to work with files whose names are not written using the Latin character set (Windows-1252).

For example, if I try to open a file named "パリ.JPG" (Japanese) from Windows Explorer, I get the following error message:

If I try to view it in the browser, there is no thumbnail preview, but a text file icon instead. Double-clicking the icon doesn't do anything, the picture doesn't open.

If I try to open a file named "Čachtice, Slovakia.jpg" (Slovak, Central Europe character set) from Windows Explorer, I get the following error message instead.

Code: Select all

Warning
Error opening the file
<C:\Gingerbread Guy\Pictures\Cachtice, Slovakia.jpg>
Note that in the error message the Č character is replaced by the letter C. The same thing happens in the XnView browser: I get a text file icon with the incorrect file name.

If you've held back on adding Unicode support because of Windows 9x/ME, please stop.
  1. If you absolutely insist on supporting Windows 9x/ME, have a look at Microsoft Layer for Unicode.
  2. Microsoft dropped support for Windows 98 SE 3 years ago.
  3. Windows 98's market share has dwindled down to nearly zero.
  4. People who are still using Windows 9x/ME probably wouldn't mind if you dropped support for their OS all that much. If they needed the latest bug fixes and features, they wouldn't still be using an antiquated and malware-prone OS, now would they?
Clo
XnThusiast

Re: Unicode support please!

Post by Clo »

:arrow:

:) Hello !

• The XnView MULTI PLATFORM VERSION supports Unicode natively…
- Changing the classic version should be a huge job, leading to uncertain results…
- For instance, Total Commander is switching to Unicode from the usual non-Unicode version,
today the Public ß-7 is out …
… it's the 36th. “ß” since the start of the private tests on 2008, December, 1st. .… :twisted:

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
hungcuonga7

Post by hungcuonga7 »

I have a same problem.
My picture's name is 初音ミク.png

When i open this file, i see this error.

Xnview 1.9.5 cannot open unicode file name or unicode path. Somebody tell me what i need do to solve this problem!
Clo
XnThusiast

Post by Clo »

:arrow: hungcuonga7

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !

• Just read my old post above… :P

:mrgreen: Kind Regards
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice