Undo for Delete

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Mike Truly

Undo for Delete

Post by Mike Truly »

It would be a real help if an accidental 'Delete' press was undoable via the Edit>Undo menu item.

Right now when I accidentally press the 'Delete' key, the current image is deleted and I must then right-click on the Trash Can, choose Explore, select the deleted image and click Restore in order to get the image back. Using a simple Edit>Undo would make things much faster.

Thanks!
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Truly Media
http://www.trulymedia.com
FlyAway

Re: Undo for Delete

Post by FlyAway »

I have the same problem, is possible add this function?
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

really? after a confirm dialog you press yes and THEN you want to undo?
after the work of going to the recycle bin many many times you still don't learn not to press yes to the confirm dialog?
undo is not the problem here.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

I agree with obelisk :wink:
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
ampersand

Post by ampersand »

Reaching for the UNDO button is a perfectly natural reaction when a mistake is made. WHATEVER the reason was for the mistake to be made in the first place. That's why the UNDO button is usually there.
Working on 1000's of files under a tight schedule it is very easy to make mistakes
Programs generally don't patronize the end user in their workflow or methods...."We didn't include an undo button because you shouldn't make mistakes" ?

I agree with tho OP, an undo button is needed.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

The problem is that different actions have different consequences for undo.

Some file managers support limited undo (Dopus, for one), and I agree that some form of undo for file activities (renames, deletes, moves, copies) would be very useful in XnView.

However, the scale of a development effort to support undo of file-system-related actions is much larger than many users initially consider: suppose that between the time of an action on a file and the time of the undo action, another process or user has acted on the same file (perhaps to delete it or rename it or move it or whatever).

Some sort of user activity log or journal would be necessary. A log would be a trivial effort to implement for XnView-initiated activities performed by a single user in a single instance. But an activity log is just the first step.

An exhaustive search for the chain of "possibilities and consequences of this undo" would be needed for most undo actions related to file system activities. An algorithm to do this is not trivial and would involve many compromises of implementation.

It's not impossible, but...
John
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

JohnFredC wrote:Some sort of user activity log or journal would be necessary. A log would be a trivial effort to implement for XnView-initiated activities performed by a single user in a single instance. But an activity log is just the first step.
Yes John,

...XYplorer has logging of activity and within it's logger I can use it's supported Undo of deletes/moves/renames etc
Personally, I think for XnView MP this type of feature is not required (yet) but should be considered later.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
lian

Post by lian »

Hello, I agree it would be convenient. When you have a lot of files to delete, it’s boring to confirm each time but if you do not confirm, you may make a mistake.
SF, illustrations et mes BD sur mon blog: https://www.li-an.fr/
Windows 10 Home 64 bits