Thumbnails cache: Add option to "optimize and exit"

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ghost zero

Thumbnails cache: Add option to "optimize and exit"

Post by ghost zero »

For thumbnails cache, can we have a convenient option to "optimize and exit"? So XnView will optimize the thumbnails cache and automatically exit when done. Since optimization can take so long for lots of images, this lets us leave XnView to do this unattended without having to remember to come back to follow up.
helmut

Re: Thumbnails cache: Add option to "optimize and exit"

Post by helmut »

ghost zero wrote:For thumbnails cache, can we have a convenient option to "optimize and exit"? So XnView will optimize the thumbnails cache and automatically exit when done. Since optimization can take so long for lots of images, this lets us leave XnView to do this unattended without having to remember to come back to follow up.
Hmm, I understand your use case, but "Optimize and Exit" sounds like a very special function to me. I think a message box displayed when optimization is finished would help quite a lot, already. (Not quite sure whether there's a message box, already).

While optimization, XnView does not respond well, the optimization dialog is not updated. A "Stop" button and a progressbar would be good.
ghost zero

Re: Thumbnails cache: Add option to "optimize and exit"

Post by ghost zero »

please also add a popup window to show how much space was saved after optimize is completed. currently, optimize just completes without any visual indication.