Organize & Rename

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lofi

Organize & Rename

Post by Lofi »

It would be great to have another kind of view for image organization. Currently the order of the thumbnails in XnView depends on name, extension, etc, whatever you specify. I suggest to make it possible to specify the order by drag/drop. If I have images A, B, C and I want C to be in the middle, I'd like to drag/drop C between A and B. And after that's been done, I'd like to select all and rename them (e. g. "Vacation_<positionnumber>") in the order that I just defined via drag/drop.

This would be very helpful and allow for more flexibility for renaming. Thank you for your consideration! :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Organize & Rename

Post by xnview »

currently only XnViewMP has this feature
Pierre.
Beano

Post by Beano »

Hello,
So you are saying this is possible with the Mac version?
I have just downloaded, Friday, XnView MP MacOSX
Version 0.90 64bits Mar 4 2018 and have tried all ways I could think of to make it work this way. I take photos and rearrange them in your browser view, but no matter what I have tried with renaming, the photos stay in the original catalog positions, in Finder, with different file names and numbers that do not change their original positions.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong or point me to an article or post that will help. This was the only post I found that dealt with the subject.

Thank you for your work and your attention to this issue.

OS X 10.11.6
Beano

Post by Beano »

Beano wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 am Hello,
So you are saying this is possible with the Mac version?
I have just downloaded, Friday, XnView MP MacOSX
Version 0.90 64bits Mar 4 2018 and have tried all ways I could think of to make it work this way. I take photos and rearrange them in your browser view, but no matter what I have tried with renaming, the photos stay in the original catalog positions, in Finder, with different file names and numbers that do not change their original positions.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong or point me to an article or post that will help. This was the only post I found that dealt with the subject.

Thank you for your work and your attention to this issue.

OS X 10.11.6
P. S. Just realized I posted this in Classic. I'll look in MP for a similar post. No wonder the question is so old.
Sorry.

P.S. Again.
Okay, I figured it out. I was trying to make more work out of this than was needed or useful. I wasn't familiar with the UI looking more like Windows than Macs. Once I filled in the contextual bar under Name Template and left the rest alone, it worked as I thought it would.