Option to set the borders'size of Thumbnails

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Option to set the borders'size of Thumbnails

Post by Olivier_G »

It would be great to be able to set the size of the borders around the Thumbnails (some people want to maximize the area dedicated to images, others want to improve the apparence/clarity...)

Just two boxes with the X and Y size in pixels would be fine (with small -/+ arrows would even be better). They could appear between the Thumbnails Sliders and the other borders options, in the Options Panel. The Thumbnail size itself should not be affected by this (ie: not recreated).

Olivier
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Olivier_G wrote:It would be great to be able to set the size of the borders around the Thumbnails (some people want to maximize the area dedicated to images, others want to improve the apparence/clarity...)
Are the default borders too fat? I don't understand how making them bigger with a 'border control' would help. Here is a screenshot testing thumbnail settings with approximately 4:3 ratio-

Last edited by marsh on Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I just realised that it is necessary to separate what is currently called 'Background' (green in your picture) and 'Thumbnails back'(grey in your picture)... => settings for both would be needed.

Marsh:
- Some people will always find the interspace between two thumbnails to be too large (ex: I used to have 2 pixels only from image to image in ACDSee, against 10+ in XnView... and it can be quite usefull if you want to show 100 thumbnails per screen, for example).
- Some people (expecially photographers) can use much bigger thumbnails and may want to isolate each of them even more in order to easily check things like composition, colors, etc... (a bit like a 'preview' directly with Thumbnails).

=> both needs are very different, and dedicated settings would please every one.

Olivier
PS: I use flat style, which I find 'cleaner'.
loth

Post by loth »

Olivier_G wrote: - Some people will always find the interspace between two thumbnails to be too large (ex: I used to have 2 pixels only from image to image in ACDSee, against 10+ in XnView... and it can be quite usefull if you want to show 100 thumbnails per screen, for example).
- Some people (expecially photographers) can use much bigger thumbnails and may want to isolate each of them even more in order to easily check things like composition, colors, etc... (a bit like a 'preview' directly with Thumbnails).

=> both needs are very different, and dedicated settings would please every one.

Olivier
PS: I use flat style, which I find 'cleaner'.
i support that idea. especially the explaination!
this is a feature i didnt find in xnview 1.8 right now.
i'd personally like to have most of the screen with thumbnails. no space or clarity needed for me ;-)

loth
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Option to set the borders'size of Thumbnails

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:It would be great to be able to set the size of the borders around the Thumbnails (some people want to maximize the area dedicated to images, others want to improve the apparence/clarity...)

Just two boxes with the X and Y size in pixels would be fine (with small -/+ arrows would even be better). They could appear between the Thumbnails Sliders and the other borders options, in the Options Panel. The Thumbnail size itself should not be affected by this (ie: not recreated).
Ok i'll add it in a future version
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

can you please add this also for the INSIDE of the border. so the space between thumbnailpicture and border is minimizable.
in marsh´picture there is ALWAYS a grey border around the thumb. no matter whih thumbsize is chosen.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I discussed this subject with Pierre some months ago, but I guess we didn't settled yet.

Here is my updated view on this:

DESCRIPTION
A. Thumbnail Area (defined by the sliders, same color as B)
B. Mat (would also be used for the 'Shadow effect', by using a % of it)
C. Border (could be used for a first large 3D effect)
D. Frame (could be used for a second large 3D effect)
E. Spacing
Each of those area could have a size equal to "0"

With those elements, one could make complex designs or simple ones, just as this, or any of those or this one or... up to you.

It would replace current options with:

Code: Select all

Thumbnail area
X (slider)
Y (slider

Mat      Size[ ]  Color[ ]  Shadow effect []
Border   Size[ ]  Color[ ]  3D effect []
Frame    Size[ ]  Color[ ]  3D effect []
Spacing  Size[ ]  Color[ ]
Olivier
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

personally i am more into efficiency rather then into visual design.
so the 3d effects i don´t use, but the free space between thumb and border is not necessary. it takes away most useful space.
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

mr developer,did you improve it ?
it seems with some borders,there is less space wasted! thanx.
but i dont know why, with some thumbs eg a 3200x1200 jpeg, the border is really big ->
Image.
ckv

Post by ckv »

Could you post a sample picture?
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

ckv wrote:Could you post a sample picture?
? look at the white space around the sheeps...
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Back onto my idea... with some changes:

The first border follow the aspect of the image itself. It provides more flexibility, visually.
This also removes the '3D effect' option for the Border C (in blue)... which is not exactly a great loss as their is another one.

I'll try to show some examples of what you may want to do with such a system.

Olivier
PS: I couldn't confirm your problem, herr_k: this image is properly handled for me...

Post by Guest »

Olivier_G wrote:PS: I couldn't confirm your problem, herr_k: this image is properly handled for me...
deleted cache for this directory.
again it looks like in my previous posting picture.
thumbnail:224x159. bordersize/spacing both 1.
btw what does "emvedded thumbnail" mean?
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Anonymous wrote:
Olivier_G wrote:PS: I couldn't confirm your problem, herr_k: this image is properly handled for me...
deleted cache for this directory.
again it looks like in my previous posting picture.
thumbnail:224x159. bordersize/spacing both 1.
btw what does "emvedded thumbnail" mean?
Greetings,
Embedded thumbnail is part of extra information (metadata) which camera attaches to jpg. There are options to use this thumbnail or different one created by Xnview.
This is the problem you see: The embedded thumbail is smaller than the dimensions you have set. Turn 'use embedded' off, and the sheep picture will fit.
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

a thanx for the explanation marsh,
worked after recreating cache.