Quick save as ususal types

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Georg

Post by Georg »

Long time no news concerning this thread...stumbled across it by search.

helmut> Rather than adding things (buttons, ...), we should try to make existing things simpler and work well:

I Agree to the "improve" part, "find as you type" in the format dropdown shall obey more than only the first letter, no doubt. So pressing "png" selects PNG instead of gif (relly often bugging me as most other programs behave differently).

Still, this idea with some few (maybe 5 up to 9) user defined "favorites" button is very attractive for me. I'd use them for "PNG", "JPEG 90", "JPEG 75" and "JEPG 75 w/o Meta". This allows me to save in a given quality without having to go to the options menu all the time - what's really annoying... And as I usually don't have to process a batch of files, I cannot change my workflow.

helmut> I think that the save dialog with all those quick-saving buttons is no good GUI design and not intuitive.

What's bad about buttons? In which way are they un-intuitive? Sorry, I just don't see any problems with this :?:. I use buttons all day long, find them intuitive and very smooth going.

Xyzzy> If nobody's told you yet, I tell you that your request is useless for everyone exept you and is badly designed.

I disagree. As mentioned above, shortcut to most often used settings would be great and saving me much time (for each file around 20seks!) and pain.

Xyzzy> Implementing Favourities access in Open/Save dialogs

Exactly those favorites were requested to my understanding?! :?:
Georg

Post by Georg »

Save as with additional settings/options also discussed at http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
Clo
XnThusiast

Nice to bump !

Post by Clo »

—> Georg

:) Hello !

• Thank you to bump that thread, it's nice to hear that you like the proposal !

- I use a HTML editor for years (by a friend I help at this) in which you can set 60 custom buttons
(2*30 from two tabs) to write any string by a single click !
As well a simple piece of text as markers which come to frame a selected text automatically… And I miss more buttons !

- I'm a Total Commander user for ages, and there we can set button-bars at will; currently, I use five bars (all are not full), each one can contains up to 30 icons (about) as 24², plus the icons with which each bar can call any other (this is a circular call, hence there is always only one bar displayed …)

- You can see how this looks here about another topic (a button-bar to reach the Options categories directly).
- You might read a paragraph in that message too as a short abstract ;)

• BTW :  This topic “Save as…” had been posted on the French forum prior, and has been revived on last August…
- Roughly, I said that I maintain this request which is quite feasible according to some friends-programmers I consulted …

• I have read the other topic you quote about the JPG quality on the same dialogue…
- In fact - like this is explained above in previous pages here - the dialogue belongs to Windows,
and XnView appends an “addon” part.
- It should be possible and not too complicated to plan different “addons” according to the user's needs.
Then, one can choose the wanted “addon” as an option…

• Aside :  Why not suscribe to that forum? It's better to edit the messages, use PMs and other easiness ;)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo (a.k.a. Button Man)
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

:arrow: Georg

Thank you to support that request !

- Buttons are indeed very handy and user-friendly. In Total Commander, I have nine bars ! :D

Hoping we'll have some feedback from Pierre, sooner or later…

Friendly

Paul
L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Georg

Re: Nice to bump !

Post by Georg »

Hej Clo!
Clo wrote:- I use a HTML editor for years (by a friend I help at this) in which you can set 60 custom buttons
On the Psion (a PDA with keyboard) there are several apps that let you choose time or the like by filling half of the screen with buttons (around 20) - one click and you're done. Compared to entering 6 digits for time, or even 10/14/17 for a fully qualified date+time+timezone that's much quicker. Of course, there is a normal input field as well, in case no button shows what you need. The same (but less buttons ;) ) is what I think of in this thread. Your personal commom settings require just one click, but you may choose from the list as already possible.
Clo wrote:I'm a Total Commander user for ages, and there we can set button-bars at will;
TC is IMHO not nearly as good to work with like with the new Servant Salamander version, but using a file manager at all is indicating you're liking efficient workflows to get your results. I guess we both are used to "one keypress/click and it's done" from those file managers and expect other software to work just as efficient for usual tasks. And saving one image in multiple formats is quite usual IMHO. As few clicks as possible shall be needed.
Clo wrote: • Aside : Why not suscribe to that forum? It's better to edit the messages, use PMs and other easiness ;)
Yea, but I'm not planning to file more RFEs / bugs so I don't want to blow the number of logins I maintain. Maybe I'll change my mind later :) Hej då, Georg

PS: Really strange - for every forum page I visit, I get the interface in another language. I already had spanish, english (Browser setting), french, german (OS language) and swedish (my location). What's next??
Clo
XnThusiast

See next…

Post by Clo »

—> Georg

:) Good evening,
TC is IMHO not nearly as good to work with like with the new Servant Salamander version…
• Tastes and colours… However, I can say you that the next TC 7.0 which should come soon is rather suprising ;)
…And saving one image in multiple formats is quite usual IMHO. As few clicks as possible shall be needed.
• Indeed… I need this a lot, and also to save the files easily to (at least) two different locations as one go… Perhaps, that second location is a bit difficult to realize, but not impossible.
…Maybe I'll change my mind later :)

• I hope you'll do !
PS: Really strange - for every forum page I visit, I get the interface in another language…
:D This is a bug in the newest version of phpBB, it seems ! Several users complained about this here; the most times, they got the fora in French, that doesn't disturb me at all ! Image

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

See also alpha feedback ""export" vs. "save as / writing options"" at
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=37207#37207

Offtopic: @Clo: If TC 7 comes with a modern UI that hides complexity (it#s not about colors etc) I'll have a look again. Salamander 2.5 is offering that for years already. And I'm registered now as guests cannot write in alpha forums. And concerning the different path: I know that Windows Explorer extensions exist that offer you "favorite folders". Maybe those might serve your purpose? Sorry I can't help with product names, Salamander solves these problems nice enough for me :)
/Georg