Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Clo
XnThusiast

Not from View

Post by Clo »

—> foxyshadis

:) Hello !

• Please, explain me how you Drag&Drop an image from VIEW to another application?
- That doesn't work at all still, and it was also the point…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: Not from View

Post by Dreamer »

Clo wrote:—> foxyshadis

• Please, explain me how you Drag&Drop an image from VIEW to another application?
- That doesn't work at all still, and it was also the point…

Claude
Clo
He means probably dragging from Browser, not Viewer, right foxyshadis?
Dreamer
Clo
XnThusiast

VIEW

Post by Clo »

—> Dreamer

• Maybe, but the topic here is alright D&D from image VIEW, isn't it ?

• And that issue is pending still, unfortunately… :(

Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
eweryboooody

Post by eweryboooody »

consistency wrote:to drop downs for the left and the right mouse button are allready there, just add a option "drag to other app" please.

everyone who dont like the option could choose another one, everyone who like it choose this option. -> everybody is happy :)
Nono! Thats not the point! The comboboxes for the mousebutton-functions are cool as they are! Its about dragging an image out of XnView!!!

Only in this case the cursor should change and you'd be able to drag it to another app.

ok you already bombed foxyshadis :]
even the topic says "Drag & drop from image view?" ;]
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Let's wait for foxyshadis's reply...
Dreamer
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

I didn't realize it was about view, maybe because I see no point in it. Sorry. But that's fine, not everyone's going to use every feature.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

No probem, there is no clear term for it, sometime it's "image view", sometime "viewer" and sometime "edit mode" - it is confusing.
Dreamer
amccc

Re: Drag & drop from image view?

Post by amccc »

I double this feature request!

Nowadays, most websites support dragging pictures in. I would like to drag them directly from XN's main view window. That is expectable : i view, i choose, then i drag.

Just add this option to mouse-buttons setup. For example, i dont use "move picture" binding, so i will bind "drag file" option.
msheasby

Post by msheasby »

This would be a useful addition to XnView.

Please add a new reaction to LMB/RMB: "drag image to other application".

Suppose that in the image viewer, you have found a specific image after much navigation through a large folder of images. You want to use that image in <some other application>, e.g. Photoshop.

Expected:
- press the LMB
- drag
> the cursor changes to a 'dragging' icon
- continue drag out of the XnView window
- continue drag over another application e.g. photoshop
- release LMB

result: the image is opened in photoshop.

As in: XnView acts as a drag source allowing you to drag the currently-visible image to another application.

Because: without this feature, you must change tasks back to the source folder, poke around until you re-find the image you currently have visible in XnView, and THEN drag from windows to the other application. The image is right there, let us use it.

I've seen the other posts and feel that
- the zoom setting, or whether scrollbars are visible, is irrelevant
- if the current image has been edited, and you have the choice of dragging the image as on disk or the edited image as in memory, the disk version would be used (because: you can save the in-memory edited version if desired).
- if you don't see the need for this function then don't configure your mouse to use it
CaipirinhaPilot

Post by CaipirinhaPilot »

Sorry for necroing this post, but it is exactly as relevant today as it was back then. I would also love this feature.

First I wanted to say that I love XnView, I use it constantly and it is a really great app, I do a photowall on my large 3 monitors and start the app 10 times in tile mode.
Your work is very much appreciated!

Now here my arguments for this feature:
I constantly want to do that and then start cropping when I drag and drop. It is important to be able to do that, because before we drag and drop, we want to see the pic full screen, because some pics are almost the same, with a little change and you can't see that in thumbnail view.
Also, use the most used function on the mouse and default:
Drag and dropping is constantly done, cropping is not.

I'm writing this post because I probably started a crop instead of drag and drop today for the 189 time since I use XnView.
In order to appease the user base, you could make it configurable via the settings, to switch left mouse button to drag and drop.

We all spend a lot more time accidentally cropping, while we have to exit full screen mode and then look for the pic that was selected again, if you have a lot of entries in your directly, good luck, you just lost it, because the window is resizing (getting smaller), the thumbnails reorganizing, which makes your selection off screen and invisible.

It is a lot easier to click on the crop button on the tool bar, one click, instead of 3 like here, to get the much more commonly used drag and drop.
That is just my take on it, I think it would improve XnView. You could even make it default (as it is the default in the world to grab a pic to drag and drop) and just mention in the release notes that if people want to turn it back to "click to crop", they can do that in the settings. But the crop toolbar icons are very prominent and hard to miss, so I doubt anybody would have trouble cropping.
CaipirinhaPilot

Post by CaipirinhaPilot »

msheasby wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:45 pm This would be a useful addition to XnView.

I've seen the other posts and feel that
- the zoom setting, or whether scrollbars are visible, is irrelevant
- if the current image has been edited, and you have the choice of dragging the image as on disk or the edited image as in memory, the disk version would be used (because: you can save the in-memory edited version if desired).
- if you don't see the need for this function then don't configure your mouse to use it
I would agree with all these points, except the one with editing the image. Now for me it is clear: ALWAYS the edited pic should be used, that is a good way to just do a quick change on the pic and then drag and drop it, without even saving it (not necessary). After the edit, it is optional if you want to save it (overwrite existing or save as new), while it is clear that when you drag and drop, you obviously want the new pic, because: Why did you crop it, changed it, modified it in the first place? And why are you drag and dropping? You obviously want what you just did, otherwise you would not have done that change.

Intuitive UI Design is based on what an user would do without thinking, what he/she automatically assumes about a function, that is best to set as the default, as users will keep triggering a function accidentally. It is the same if you for a strange reason used CTRL+C to delete a pic without asking for confirmation, instead of the typically copy function, that is international standard in all apps. People would keep making this mistakes over and over and over.