Suggestions: Fit image to width + WebM format

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Rasheed187

Suggestions: Fit image to width + WebM format

Post by Rasheed187 »

Hi,

Is it possible to copy this feature from Opera 12? It will fit all images to the exact width of your screen. And there is also an extension that will let you do this. I see that another image viewer named Honeyview, has tried to implement it, but it doesn't work correctly. And what about support for the WebP image format?

http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/22266-opera
https://addons.opera.com/nl/extensions/ ... display=en
http://www.bandisoft.com/honeyview/en/
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/?hl=en

Thanks,

Rasheed
omniplex

Re: Suggestions: Fit image to width + WebM format

Post by omniplex »

Rasheed187 wrote: And what about support for the WebP image format?
XnView can read and write WebP VP8 (the lossy YUV fomats) and VP8L (the lossless RGBA format). The write options are minimal, you can pick a quality, and 100% is interpreted as lossless. WebP lossless is very good for anything up to 32bits (8 red, 8 green, 8 blue, 8 alpha). XnView classic is anyway limited to 32bits (not counting 3*10+2 BMPs), if that's good enough for you WebP lossless might be better than PNG.
Rasheed187

Post by Rasheed187 »

omniplex wrote:
Rasheed187 wrote: And what about support for the WebP image format?
XnView can read and write WebP VP8 (the lossy YUV fomats) and VP8L (the lossless RGBA format). The write options are minimal, you can pick a quality, and 100% is interpreted as lossless. WebP lossless is very good for anything up to 32bits (8 red, 8 green, 8 blue, 8 alpha). XnView classic is anyway limited to 32bits (not counting 3*10+2 BMPs), if that's good enough for you WebP lossless might be better than PNG.
Wait a minute, so you're saying that XnView Classic already supports this format? Then there is definitely something wrong on my system, because I'm getting errors, while XnView MP and HoneyView are able to open them, perhaps you can test it.

EDIT: I can not upload the webm pics. :?
Rasheed187

Post by Rasheed187 »

Rasheed187 wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to copy this feature from Opera 12? It will fit all images to the exact width of your screen.
Is the developer active on this forum? To clarify, I know that XnView already has lots of "fit image to..." options, but it's not the same as the one I'm requesting. You can test it one this site (see links), as soon as images have a higher resolution than your screen, it will be resized EXACTLY to fit. I've always wondered why XnView didn't offer this feature.

http://officesnapshots.com/2015/12/29/h ... stuttgart/
http://officesnapshots.com/wp-content/u ... sign-1.jpg
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Rasheed187 wrote:I can not upload the webm pics.
Please put them inside an archive (7-Zip/RAR/ZIP).
Rasheed187 wrote:Is the developer active on this forum?
It's holiday season in Pierre's neck of the woods.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you have already a 'fit image to width'
Pierre.
omniplex

Post by omniplex »

Rasheed187 wrote:Wait a minute, so you're saying that XnView Classic already supports this format? Then there is definitely something wrong on my system
There should be an .../XnView/plugins/webp.dll (347 KB, 2015-01-19). If you don't have it download it from the Plugins page. Or get the "XnView full" ZIP and check that all your add-ons and plugins are state of the art (just copy what's newer in this ZIP.) I can't tell if that DLL alone is good enough, because I also have the WebP "codec" (a WIC DLL) and command line tools. The static libwebp.lib for WebP 0.5.0 (2015-12-18) is considerably bigger (1195 KB) than the XnView plugin DLL, but that might be normal.
Rasheed187

Post by Rasheed187 »

omniplex wrote:
Rasheed187 wrote:Wait a minute, so you're saying that XnView Classic already supports this format? Then there is definitely something wrong on my system
There should be an .../XnView/plugins/webp.dll (347 KB, 2015-01-19). If you don't have it download it from the Plugins page. Or get the "XnView full" ZIP and check that all your add-ons and plugins are state of the art (just copy what's newer in this ZIP.).
OK, so I probably need a plugin, will check it out.
XnTriq wrote:
Rasheed187 wrote:I can not upload the webm pics.
Please put them inside an archive (7-Zip/RAR/ZIP).
Good thinking, here are some examples.
Attachments
recept_kruidige_bananenbrood_met_kokos_1-001.zip
(493.58 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Rasheed187

Post by Rasheed187 »

xnview wrote:
you have already a 'fit image to width'
Yes correct, but I was being silly, I didn't explain it correctly. The example that I gave is indeed correctly resized to fit the screen. But what I like to see is that only the width of images is resized, if it's bigger than the screen resolution. The height should not be resized. Is this possible?

Honeyview does already offer this, but I'm not sure if they meant it to work this way though. The idea behind this, is that you will still get to see the "real" size of the image, so it's not fully resized, and you will only have to scroll up and down to see the whole image (parts that are not visible). I hope I explained it clearly.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Rasheed187 wrote: Yes correct, but I was being silly, I didn't explain it correctly. The example that I gave is indeed correctly resized to fit the screen. But what I like to see is that only the width of images is resized, if it's bigger than the screen resolution. The height should not be resized. Is this possible?

Honeyview does already offer this, but I'm not sure if they meant it to work this way though. The idea behind this, is that you will still get to see the "real" size of the image, so it's not fully resized, and you will only have to scroll up and down to see the whole image (parts that are not visible). I hope I explained it clearly.
so a 'Fit to window width, large only'?
Pierre.
Rasheed187

Post by Rasheed187 »

xnview wrote: so a 'Fit to window width, large only'?
You know what, I'm very confused. But you should check out HoneyView's "fit to width" feature. If the width is bigger than your screen, then it fits the image. But if only the height is bigger, then it doesn't fit the image. If both the width and height are bigger, then it only resizes the width. None of the "auto image size" options from XnView offer this. You should really check out HoneyView, it also has a "fit in window" feature which will work the same as "Fit to window width, large only'".
omniplex

Post by omniplex »

Rasheed187 wrote:None of the "auto image size" options from XnView offer this.
When I open your heardis-office-design-1.jpg (1600x1086) in XnView I see it at zoom level 65%, because that's what fits in my XnView window. Likewise in full screen mode it also fits vertically (height, my laptop can do 1600x900). My option is "fit window size, all images", same effect as key / (slash).

If I'd try "fit window width, all images" (key 1 of the numeric keypad with NumLock on) I get a vertical scrollbar, because my display height does not suffice. Of course "fit window height" (key 3) then works without scrollbar, only one of 1 or 3 requires a scrollbar, and / (slash) automatically gets this right (no scrollbar).