Hide File Formats While Saving

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

esenthel

Hide File Formats While Saving

Post by esenthel »

When I want to save an image, and I want to choose target format, it's like 30 or so, making it very difficult to find the one that I need.
Having so many elements on the list is just an annoyance, because 90% of the file formats people will never use.

The only formats that I use are:
BMP
PNG
JPG
TGA
WEBP

Sometimes:
TIF
ICO
DDS
PSD

So my suggestion is to add option to hide those that the user doesn't want to see.

Also, You already put the most used file formats at the top of the list, however it's also inconvenience, because to access them, I need to put the mouse cursor all the way to the top, and then scroll the list to the top, because those on the bottom are closest to the mouse cursor.
If you would limit to only few most popular formats, chosen by the user, then this would not be an issue.

Thanks
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Hide File Formats While Saving

Post by XnTriq »

In Tools » Options... » Read/Write » General, XnView allows you to “choose the formats which you use most often for saving. These file types will be listed at top of the Format list.” You can't hide them, though.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

esenthel wrote:You already put the most used file formats at the top of the list, however it's also inconvenient because to access them, I need to put the mouse cursor all the way to the top, and then scroll the list to the top, because those on the bottom are closest to the mouse cursor.
If you would limit to only few most popular formats, chosen by the user, then this would not be an issue.
Could the file format list be made to open at the top, rather than part way down the long list as at present?
esenthel

Post by esenthel »

Please add the option to hide other formats.

Because as it is right now, it's just a big inconvenience to have to scroll so much every time I want to save a file.

Thank you
esenthel

Post by esenthel »

Is there any news about this?

Because this is a MAJOR inconvenience.

Also another BMP file format got added (565 bit quality). Things got even worse!
Several times accidentally I've selected it instead of the full 8-bit precision, and that resulted in loss of quality, because of which I had to redo my work and save it properly in the normal BMP, I've lost my time.

If hiding useless file formats was supported, then that wouldn't be a problem.

I mean what's the point of having 1 million file formats if you never use them, this is just a problem not a feature.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

esenthel wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:40 pm Is there any news about this?

Because this is a MAJOR inconvenience.

Also another BMP file format got added (565 bit quality). Things got even worse!
Several times accidentally I've selected it instead of the full 8-bit precision, and that resulted in loss of quality, because of which I had to redo my work and save it properly in the normal BMP, I've lost my time.

If hiding useless file formats was supported, then that wouldn't be a problem.
XnTriq wrote: Sun May 22, 2016 12:00 pm In Tools » Options... » Read/Write » General, XnView allows you to “choose the formats which you use most often for saving. These file types will be listed at top of the Format list.” You can't hide them, though.
Does XnTriq's suggestion above not provide a solution for you?
esenthel

Post by esenthel »

cday wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:28 pm Does XnTriq's suggestion above not provide a solution for you?
No
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

esenthel wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:04 am
cday wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:28 pm Does XnTriq's suggestion above not provide a solution for you?
No
In Options>General>Read-Wirte, you can choose your formats
Pierre.
esenthel

Post by esenthel »

xnview wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:08 pm
esenthel wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:04 am
No
In Options>General>Read-Wirte, you can choose your formats
I think I've explained it pretty clearly in the first post, that I want to HIDE all other formats.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

esenthel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:23 pm I think I've explained it pretty clearly in the first post, that I want to HIDE all other formats.
An option somewhere 'Select file save formats displayed' ?

Would have to be configured, though...

Edit:

If check boxes were used would be a long list, maybe the desired extensions could be keyed into a box?