Guetzli JPEG from Google

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bg17aw

Re: Guetzli JPEG from Google

Post by bg17aw »

bege wrote:It's in the 0.87
what are you talking about, current xnview versions are above 2.4, not 0.something
RGhost

Post by RGhost »

bg17aw wrote:
bege wrote:It's in the 0.87
what are you talking about, current xnview versions are above 2.4, not 0.something
He talking about XNViewMP, latest version release post http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=36225 , where Guetzli JPEG is mentioned.
Royal Ghost | http://veda3d.com
bg17aw

Post by bg17aw »

Never knew there is an MP version as well... A bit ridiculous, two products competiting with each other
heimaki

Post by heimaki »

bege wrote:It's in the 0.87 change log, but I cannot find it.
I'd love to have it as JPEG save option in the settings
it's there. save as --> JPG Guetzli JPG
also \plugins\guetzli_windows_x86-64.exe is present.

but as said, it doesn't do anything. progress bar is shown and disappears again after a while (as expected), but there is absolutely NO file on the disk. nowhere.
bege

Post by bege »

heimaki wrote: it's there. save as --> JPG Guetzli JPG
also \plugins\guetzli_windows_x86-64.exe is present.
but as said, it doesn't do anything. progress bar is shown and disappears again after a while (as expected), but there is absolutely NO file on the disk. nowhere.
Nothing here in Windows-64-bit version. No plugin, no save as entry, nothing in format options nor in the about window
heimaki

Post by heimaki »

it's missing in the installer, but present in the zip file.
bege

Post by bege »

heimaki wrote:it's missing in the installer, but present in the zip file.
Thank you.
So I'll be patient and wait for a working version in the installer.
And still I'd rather have it as a settings option than in the saving as dialog.
forklab

Post by forklab »

How to use this plugin?
I've installed it with Tools>Plugins>Plugins>[Install] Guetzli JPEG write support (jpg) → [Installed] Guetzli JPEG write support (jpg). After rebooting XnView it is still [Installed], so guess is Ok.
File was downloaded to XnView\Other\PlugIns\ at user folder as guetzli_windows_x86-64.exe, install.txt and guetzli_LICENSE.

But there are no any "Save as... Guetzli" nor in Files, nor in Tools. No "Export to Guetzli", not "*Guetzli*" at Settings>Formats>Save - there are only JPEG, JPEG-2000, JPEG-XL and XPEG-XR.

No idea where to find it. Rechecked every menu/settings few times...

PS: I'm using tabless (fullscreen) view of files and explorer in XNView. Now I entered tabbed view and see "Save as.." but there are no "Guetzli".
PPS: I'm looked in batch processing too - there are no Guetzli.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Guetzli is installed by default in XnView MP, I don't know about XnView Classic.

But be warned that Guetzli is only suitable for minimising the filesize of small images, conversion time increases very rapidly as image dimensions increase, making its use normally impractical, and that there is a JPEG 'quality' setting issue, possibly only functional for qualities set to 80 maximum?

There are newer, much better, compression methods available now, but I haven't used them myself and can't provide any details.
forklab

Post by forklab »

Now I see that this topic is in "Classic" tree. Didn't mean that when searching for "XnView Guetzli"... :|
I'm not talking about Classic. Mine is MP
There were no default Guetzli in XnViewMP
I installed it as I described in previous message, from Intsruments/Tools > Plugins... menu.

I don't know how to move my message without creating new topic to MP forum tree.
Attachments
240318-143005-xnviewmp-jCa7.png
240318-143005-xnviewmp-jCa7.png (11.37 KiB) Viewed 41 times
240318-142828-xnviewmp-Jdha.png
240318-142828-xnviewmp-Jdha.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 41 times
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

forklab wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:30 pm I'm not talking about Classic. Mine is MP
There were no default Guetzli in XnViewMP
I installed it as I described in previous message, from Intsruments/Tools > Plugins... menu.
Right, it seems to have been removed, it was causing frequent problems and there are I think better options available now, except perhaps for images with very small pixel dimensions.

Edit: If you are using XnView MP 64-bit did you install the 64-bit version of the plug-in?

If you have installed it I don't know why it isn't working, Pierre?
forklab

Post by forklab »

cday wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:44 pmEdit: If you are using XnView MP 64-bit did you install the 64-bit version of the plug-in?
:mrgreen: of course (if XnView MP did not install not x86, but if you read my first post here you can see "guetzli_windows_x86-64.exe". So yes, x64.
There are no options to choose which version to install. Just a button [Install]. And no [Uninstall] after installation. So I must remove PlugIns/AddOn directories by myself if I wish to delete "installed" and not working.