File Inclusion/Exclusion

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

My opinion on this draft:
- 'Thumbnail' column shouldn't appear here, as it takes quite some space for little possibilities and could confuse people with 'Thumbnail view'. It would be better on another page (+give some room for an 'Open with' column)
- Have both 'Include' and 'Exclude' lines with small text areas for every column (Thumbnail view, Other views, Preview) instead of checkboxes.

...I started an image to show this 4 days ago, but I am too slow and hadn't enough time to finish it... therefore I explain it first now and will try to show the picture later on (and NO, Dreamer, I didn't copy your idea again... the evidence is on my computer... :mrgreen:)

Olivier
helmut

Post by helmut »

Olivier_G wrote:My opinion on this draft:
- 'Thumbnail' column shouldn't appear here, as it takes quite some space for little possibilities and could confuse people with 'Thumbnail view'. It would be better on another page (+give some room for an 'Open with' column)
Thank you for your comment. 'Thumbnail view' (for showing/hiding the item) and 'Thumbnail' (for showing the item as thumbnail or not) might be indeed confusing. But if 'Thumbnail' is put onto another categories page, the "Preview" must go to another category, too, for consistency reasons.

There's one disadvantage when moving "Preview" and "Thumbnail" to other categories:
If users says that a file group is not shown in the browser, the settings "Thumbnail" and "Preview" will not have any effect and can be greyed out. The user will see this dependency only if all the options reside in the same category.
Also, the category "Custom" will be valid for this category, but also for "Preview" and "Thumbnail". So it must be made clear to the user somehow that there is one group "Custom", only.
Olivier_G wrote:- Have both 'Include' and 'Exclude' lines with small text areas for every column (Thumbnail view, Other views, Preview) instead of checkboxes.
#H06 In the sample below the column 'Open with' has been added and the columns 'Thumbnail' and 'Preview' have been removed.

#H07 In this draft the checkboxes have been replaced by dropdownlists (as suggested by Olivier).

In both drafts the settings (Show/Hide) are the same. I think one can see two things:
- The second draft H07 clearly says which files are shown or hidden.
- In the first draft the different states (checked / not checked) can be seen more easily.

We have to be aware that in some languages the terms "Show" / "Hide" are longer than the English ones, e.g. in German it would be "Zeigen" or "Anzeigen" and "Verstecken".

From my point of view both drafts are o.k., personally I'd prefer the checkbox approach.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

If you want an 'include' function, why not put it in Options>File Handling>Advanced?
A reason not to use "custom" is that users would want to use both exclude/include at the same time.

These examples show 3 columns. Smaller fonts help display them properly using 800x600. They will line up if web page fonts are used.

#M1
Options>File Handling

Code: Select all

Select items to be shown unless otherwise indicated.

Thumbnail       All Other         Preview
                                View            Views             
Images                           [x]             [x]              [x]
Audio                            [x]             [x]              [x]
Video                            [x]             [x]              [x]
Text                             [x]             [x]              [x]
Archives                         [x]             [x]               -
Folder                           [x]             [x]               -
Hide parent folder ('..')        [x]             [x]               -
Hide files larger than (Kb)    [_1024_]           -             [_3072_]
Exclude*                         [x]             [x]              [x]
All other files                  [ ]             [ ]              [ ]

*Exclude: Extensions seperated by a space, e.g. PDF EPS PS
[_PDF EPS PS__________________________]

#M2
Options>File Handling>Advanced

Code: Select all

Select items to be shown unless otherwise indicated.

Thumbnail       All Other         Preview
                                View            Views             
Include*                         [x]             [x]              [x]

*Include: Extensions seperated by a space, e.g. LOG 1st DIZ
[_LOG ME 1st CFG LIST_________________]

When opening multiple files at once, select action to be performed:

Open With Associated Program      [_TXT INI LOG ME 1st CFG LIST_] [>>]
Open With Xnview                  [_BMP JPG PNG TIF GIF_________] [>>]
All Other Files Open With*        [                  -No Action  [V]]
                                   - Open With Associated Program[V]
                                               - Open With Xnview[V]

*'No Action' is recommended to avoid opening multiple movies simultaneously.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

So why not keep current options/browser/file list, and add a page for thumbnail & preview?
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:If you want an 'include' function, why not put it in Options>File Handling>Advanced?
I don't see the reason to have an include option...
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
So why not keep current options/browser/file list, and add a page for thumbnail & preview?
Your question is a bit irritating: What about exclusions? I thought this is why we started the whole discussion?
helmut

Post by helmut »

marsh wrote:If you want an 'include' function, why not put it in Options>File Handling>Advanced?
A reason not to use "custom" is that users would want to use both exclude/include at the same time.
Thank you marsh, for your comment and drafts. Inclusion and Exclusion have the same quality and depend on each other, if you include something, you cannot exclude it at the same time. So I don't quite understand what you mean.

The "Open with" is not an advanced feature, I think it's also for normal users. What is really advanced is changing the groups "Images", "Video", ... But this is discussed in the other thread.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

helmut wrote:From my point of view both drafts are o.k., personally I'd prefer the checkbox approach.
Sorry Helmut, I think I wasn't clear enough... :|

Here is what I had in mind:

'Include' and 'Exclude' text areas for each column provides a lot of flexibility, while being self-explanatory (methinks :mrgreen:) and people have to think/read first before modifying them.
helmut wrote:There's one disadvantage when moving "Preview" and "Thumbnail" to other categories:
If users says that a file group is not shown in the browser, the settings "Thumbnail" and "Preview" will not have any effect and can be greyed out. The user will see this dependency only if all the options reside in the same category.
If someone find a way to add the 'Create Thumbnail' column in the previous panel, it's all good... :D
(I couldn't... but I didn't really tried that hard)

Olivier
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:
Your question is a bit irritating: What about exclusions? I thought this is why we started the whole discussion?
Sorry, i means old page setting with exclusion. In your sample, we have no more Preview, Thumbnail & View... And the start of discution was for Preview, Thumbnail & View :-)
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:Here is what I had in mind:

Perhaps we could use a combobox to choose which option to set, so only one column...
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:...
Perhaps we could use a combobox to choose which option to set, so only one column...
A combobox for "Thumbnail view" and "All other views" would work, but you won't save much space.

Including all columns into one will be very messy, too many combinations and too much to read, e.g.
"All views, show thumbnail, show preview".

Or did I get you wrong?
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:
xnview wrote: So why not keep current options/browser/file list, and add a page for thumbnail & preview?
Sorry, i means old page setting with exclusion. In your sample, we have no more Preview, Thumbnail & View... And the start of discution was for Preview, Thumbnail & View :-)
Ah, I see. Another possible solution. I think we should make a decision, soon.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:Ah, I see. Another possible solution. I think we should make a decision, soon.
Yes, very very long discution now, and not really a solution :-(
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Here is an update with all columns and some small changes:

Comments:
- 'smaller than' condition is back and available for 'Preview', 'Thumbnail create' and 'Thumbnail list' (if you want to list all, images with thumbnails only or image you can also preview - you choose whatever)
- 'Thumbnail create' checkboxes can be greyed out depending on 'Thumbnail list'
- 'Preview' can be greyed out depending on ('Thumbnail list' + 'Other views')
- 'Thumbnail create' for 'Folders' would be the setting for showing on the thumbnail several images in the folder

I haven't shown Custom include/exclude settings here because it seems to be more problematic and the issue can be handled somewhat independently...
(I still like my previous individual text boxes suggestion, though :mrgreen: )

Olivier
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:Here is an update with all columns and some small changes:
I think that having "open action" on the same panel is not so good... Not enough space...
Pierre.