File Inclusion/Exclusion

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Post by helmut »

In the above two draft screens, "Thumbnail view" and "All other views" are distinguished and thus have a indivudal columns.

Wouldn't be one column "Item", "Entry" or "Show item" be sufficient? I'm still not clear why there is such a separation. What's the use of having a different list of files in Thumbnail view than in all other views? We have settings for enabling/disabling thumbnail, so performance cannot be the reason (anymore). I think we could get rid of another relict, here.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:In the above two draft screens, "Thumbnail view" and "All other views" are distinguished and thus have a indivudal columns.

Wouldn't be one column "Item", "Entry" or "Show item" be sufficient? I'm still not clear why there is such a separation. What's the use of having a different list of files in Thumbnail view than in all other views? We have settings for enabling/disabling thumbnail, so performance cannot be the reason (anymore). I think we could get rid of another relict, here.
Often users have only images in thumbnail view, and all files in detail view
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:...
Hum, really i think that extension to exclude is better than custom file extension to show...
If you name the group "Custom" "Exclude", the name would no longer express that the group is customizable, and you can use "Exclude" to actually include files. That would be really irritating.
Don't think in terms of "Exclude" or "Ignore", try to think in terms of groups and files that are displayed and/or shown as thumbnail / preview. This is basically what we have now, see options, category "Browser > File List" (Item shown in Thumbnail mode / Item shown in other modes).

Let's see what other people think about this.
The dialogue should ask users what to ignore. Not: what custom files not to show. My suggestion has the added possibility of adding extension to this box via browser menu. Perhaps, you want custom to perform other functions? That would be confusing.
Also, if you want a seperate (and different) ignore list for each column, then that is a completely different and very complicated idea not clearly shown in any of these examples.
Last edited by marsh on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:Often users have only images in thumbnail view, and all files in detail view
Right... and therefore I like the separation between 'Thumbnail view' and 'All other views'. :D

Side-notes:
- The current option 'Show thumbnail for video file' should disappear and be here
- Why wouldn't it be possible to create thumbnails of text files? (generate an image at the Thumbnail dimension with a small font)
- What do 'Archives' and 'Folders' do in Thumbnail column? Is it to show several images in the Thumbnail (as suggested here?)

Olivier
helmut

Post by helmut »

Olivier_G wrote:
xnview wrote:Often users have only images in thumbnail view, and all files in detail view
Right... and therefore I like the separation between 'Thumbnail view' and 'All other views'. :D
O.k., I'm convinced.
Olivier_G wrote:Side-notes:
- The current option 'Show thumbnail for video file' should disappear and be here
Correct, another option which will become superflous.
Olivier_G wrote:- Why wouldn't it be possible to create thumbnails of text files? (generate an image at the Thumbnail dimension with a small font)
Yes, should be possible, but for all I know currently thumbnails for text are not supported.
Olivier_G wrote:- What do 'Archives' and 'Folders' do in Thumbnail column? Is it to show several images in the Thumbnail (as suggested here?)
For "Folder", you are right, that's displaying several thumbnails contained in that subfulder. But what Thumbnail in the terms of Archive mean, is a riddle to me (preview to archive or thumbnails when browsing the archive ?).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:- What do 'Archives' and 'Folders' do in Thumbnail column? Is it to show several images in the Thumbnail (as suggested here?)
No, it's like now, to show archives files and folder in thumbnail view.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
Hum, really i think that extension to exclude is better than custom file extension to show...
If you name the group "Custom" "Exclude", the name would no longer express that the group is customizable, and you can use "Exclude" to actually include files. That would be really irritating.
Don't think in terms of "Exclude" or "Ignore", try to think in terms of groups and files that are displayed and/or shown as thumbnail / preview. This is basically what we have now, see options, category "Browser > File List" (Item shown in Thumbnail mode / Item shown in other modes).

Let's see what other people think about this.
For example, i want to see all files/videos but not PDF/EPS/PS files, a really frequently situation. So i'm must not check Custom.
Very strange no???
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

For example, i want to see all files/videos but not PDF/EPS/PS files, a really frequently situation. So i'm must not check Custom.
Very strange no???
Not really. But people might not understand how an exclusion is created.

#H03 Another suggestion:

The "Custom" was removed and the exclusion is set at the bottom, only.
Last edited by helmut on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
Very strange no???

Another suggestion:

No you must keep a checkbox for all mode to exclude or not!
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:
Very strange no???

Another suggestion:

No you must keep a checkbox for all mode to exclude or not!
So you would double all the headings "Thumbnail mode" and "All other modes". And in the first list you check whether something is included or not (checked = included) and in the other list you check to exclude or not (checked = excluded). This is inconsistent.

Currently we try to find the 100% solution, if we can't find it we should find a good 80% solution.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Ignore this post please. I can't seem to find right words sometimes. English is a difficult first language too.
Last edited by marsh on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:42 am, edited 14 times in total.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:So you would double all the headings "Thumbnail mode" and "All other modes". And in the first list you check whether something is included or not (checked = included) and in the other list you check to exclude or not (checked = excluded). This is inconsistent.
I fully agree with Helmut, these options are very similar, it could be very confusing, also, in some other languages it could be not as clear as in English.

It would be more confusing than "associations" and "file types" in prev. versions...
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

I understand this 3 column design better:
<thumbnail mode> <list, icons, & details mode> <preview>
Images [x] [x] [x]
Hide parent folder ('..') [x] [x] -
Files larger than (Kb) [____] - [___]
Exclude* [x] [x] [x]
*Exclude [______]
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:I understand this 3 column design better:
Images [x] [x] [x]
Exclude* [x] [x] [x]
*Exclude [______]
Right like that! No include list (not necessary), only an exclude one...
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

marsh wrote:I understand this 3 column design better:
Images [x] [x] [x]
Exclude* [x] [x] [x]
*Exclude [______]
This is what I've been talking about in my previous post: In top list you check something to include it, and in the bottom to exclude it.

If you make all the checkboxes work all the same (checked = exclude), this would be strange since "checked" normally means that something is active/shown. (See current XnView 1.80, options "Browser > File list").