move or copy file information/name missing

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
loth
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Kölle

move or copy file information/name missing

Post by loth » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:53 pm

hi,
a small issue.

when copy/move a picture to another folder via ALT+M/ALT+C
the filename (complete filename means: not only filename, but filename.ext) should/could be shown.

now, the user doesnt know, what filename he/she is moving/copying
loth

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8166
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: move or copy file information/name missing

Post by helmut » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:01 pm

loth wrote:hi,
a small issue.

when copy/move a picture to another folder via ALT+M/ALT+C
the filename (complete filename means: not only filename, but filename.ext) should/could be shown.

now, the user doesnt know, what filename he/she is moving/copying
That's true, there's no filename displayed. But you can select and move/copy many files at a time, so if you want to display filenames, you need a larger list which will make the dialog large.

Perhaps for one file the name could be shown, and for many files the number of files could be shown.

User avatar
loth
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Kölle

Re: move or copy file information/name missing

Post by loth » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:39 pm

helmut wrote:That's true, there's no filename displayed. But you can select and move/copy many files at a time, so if you want to display filenames, you need a larger list which will make the dialog large.
the dialog is way too small, anyway. and its not resizeable, like any "good" window should be ;->

i'd like to add this point to my request ;-) please make the copy/move dialog larger or (even better) resizeable.

but you're right. if more than one filename is shown it could be a larger list.

suggestion: only display the first/last X filenames, or (even better)
make a scrollable list with scrollbars, if needed (i.e. more than 10 filenames to show) see my picture..
helmut wrote: Perhaps for one file the name could be shown, and for many files the number of files could be shown.
also a good idea.
lets hear other ideas (maybe)


Code: Select all

+----------------------------------+
|Move: X file(s)                  ~|  < title bar
+----------------------------------+
|                                 ~| 
|list                             ~|
|    of                           ~| 
|      all                        ~| 
|         the                     ~|
|            paths                ~| 
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
+----------------------------------+
|X:\pics\bla\foo\bar\            |^| < pulldown menu, where to move
+----------------------------------+
|new folder  |   move   | cancel   | < buttons
+----------------------------------+
|moveing files:                   ~| < new, spectacular, filelist :-)
|C:\fdgfdgd\filename1.jpg         ~|
|C:\fdgfdgd\filename2.jpg         ~|
|D:\dfgfdgdgfdgd\filename1.jpg    ~|
|X:\dfhgfdhfdgfdgd\filename1.jpg  ~|
+----------------------------------+

~ is a vertical scrollbar
loth

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8166
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: move or copy file information/name missing

Post by helmut » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:52 pm

loth wrote:...

the dialog is way too small, anyway. and its not resizeable, like any "good" window should be ;->

i'd like to add this point to my request ;-) please make the copy/move dialog larger or (even better) resizeable.
I second this.
loth wrote:but you're right. if more than one filename is shown it could be a larger list.
...
Wow, we have more and more inventive screen designers, here. And in ASCII art. :o

The simple approach "1 file name or number of files" is still under discussion. Already, some comments regarding your dialog draft: I'd prefer the file list to be at the top, the buttons of the dialogs should always be at the bottom or to the right of the dialog. So the dialog might look like this:

Code: Select all

+----------------------------------+
|Move: X file(s)                  ~| < title bar
+----------------------------------+
|[x] Show files                    | < New option for showing/hiding the file list
|Files:                           ~| < file list
|C:\fdgfdgd\filename1.jpg         ~|
|C:\fdgfdgd\filename2.jpg         ~|
|D:\dfgfdgdgfdgd\filename1.jpg    ~|
|X:\dfhgfdhfdgfdgd\filename1.jpg  ~|
+----------------------------------+
|                                 ~| 
|list                             ~|
|    of                           ~| 
|      all                        ~| 
|         the                     ~|
|            paths                ~| 
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
|                                 ~|
+----------------------------------+
|X:\pics\bla\foo\bar\            |^| < pulldown menu, where to move
+----------------------------------+
|new folder  |   move   | cancel   | < buttons
+----------------------------------+
Please note the option "Show files" which will show/hide the file list. This will satisfy both users who do not need the file list and those who need it. Sure enough, the setting of this checkbox has to be remembered.

User avatar
loth
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Kölle

Re: move or copy file information/name missing

Post by loth » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:03 pm

helmut wrote:Wow, we have more and more inventive screen designers, here. And in ASCII art.
thats, because i cannot add pictures to this forum :-) so i must be creative in ascii-art :-) otherwise i would use photoshop.

helmut wrote:The simple approach "1 file name or number of files" is still under discussion.
hmm...i dont exactly know if i understand, but i cannot see a real/true advantage of a dialog which only says, how many files it will move/copy.
i'm always interested of *which* files are copied/moved.

helmut wrote:Already, some comments regarding your dialog draft: I'd prefer the file list to be at the top, the buttons of the dialogs should always be at the bottom or to the right of the dialog.

Please note the option "Show files" which will show/hide the file list. This will satisfy both users who do not need the file list and those who need it. Sure enough, the setting of this checkbox has to be remembered.
great :-)
i support that.
loth

Post Reply