'Ken Burns' Transition effect

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Post by Guest »

Hi!

A Ken Burns transition effect would be great... Like in Apples iPhoto or in this freeware Screensaver: http://www.greggman.com/nostalgic/

Greetings from Germany
Jens
Irving

Post by Irving »

That's actually a nice and nothing fancy (meaning not bloated) screensaver. (I personally recommend moving the "scale" setting slower).
helmut

Post by helmut »

Irving wrote:That's actually a nice and nothing fancy (meaning not bloated) screensaver.
Really a nice effect which should be supported by XnView, if possible.
Irving wrote:(I personally recommend moving the "scale" setting slower).
Right, options for setting the speed and maximum zoom in/out would be good.
E.g. Zoom speed, Minimal zoom, and Maximum Zoom.
MrGold

Post by MrGold »

WOW!!! Great effect, I hope it's possible to integrate this into XnView!
Irving

Post by Irving »

I don't really care for the zoom effect at all, so if implemented would like to be able to totally disable it.

The zoom effect in the linked screensaver can be minimal, though, so I recommend everyone give it a look.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Irving wrote:I don't really care for the zoom effect at all, so if implemented would like to be able to totally disable it.
Don't quite understand. If you disable the zooming, you have cross-fading, only. And cross-fading is supported by XnView in slide show, already. Or is there another difference between Cross-fading and Ken Burns but zooming?
Irving wrote:The zoom effect in the linked screensaver can be minimal, though, so I recommend everyone give it a look.
Also not sure what you mean, here: Do you want zooming or not? Or just a little bit zooming like in the screensaver sample?
Irving

Post by Irving »

I've never known XnView could do that. Just learned something.

What I meant is that the zooming effect can be minimized, and didn't want anyone to think I was giving the screensaver a low rating because I didn't personally like the zooming.

EDIT- I just looked and XnView doesn't crossfade or anything else, unless it's been added since 1.74 (confused)

Another EDIT: it says "transition" but all it does is jump from image to image, with no effect of any kind and there's no selection for any transitions.

helmut

Post by helmut »

Irving wrote:I've never known XnView could do that. Just learned something.

What I meant is that the zooming effect can be minimized, and didn't want anyone to think I was giving the screensaver a low rating because I didn't personally like the zooming.

EDIT- I just looked and XnView doesn't crossfade or anything else, unless it's been added since 1.74 (confused)
Transition effects including Crossfading have been introduced in XnView 1.80, so this is why... I guess you will love the cross-fading of 1.80 (I do). ;-)

Note:
Just noticed that the "List of changes in XnView 1.80" was hidden in a testing group. I've moved it and it's available at List of changes, now.
Irving

Post by Irving »

Well, the preview junk ruined XnView so I'll stick with 1.74.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Irving wrote:Well, the preview junk ruined XnView so I'll stick with 1.74.
I understand (Preview in "Effects" and "Adjust" dialog). In next release the previews can be switched on/off, so you can look forward to that one.
Irving

Post by Irving »

Good! Then I'll check it out.
its_me

any news?

Post by its_me »

Hello,

are there any news available about the support of the Ken Burns Effect in XnView? I really love this effect - it would improve the dia show function lot.

Greets from Germany,
Jan
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: any news?

Post by xnview »

its_me wrote:Hello,

are there any news available about the support of the Ken Burns Effect in XnView? I really love this effect - it would improve the dia show function lot.
No currently i can't work on this effect...
Pierre.
BryonB

Post by BryonB »

I would LOVE to see an option for pan/zoom effects like this in the slide show feature in XnView. It really adds to the visual impact of a slide show.

Windows Vista has a slide show feature that includes this effect, but you can't export the slide show, or run it on another non-Vista PC. And my PC won't run Vista yet.

The Macintosh has this feature in iPhoto, but I don't have a Mac (or really want one at this point).

The only programs I know of that have this feature in slide shows are programs that create DVD slide shows, which don't offer full picture resolution.
DavidB

Re: 'Ken Burns' Transition effect

Post by DavidB »

BryonB wrote:The only programs I know of that have this feature in slide shows are programs that create DVD slide shows, which don't offer full picture resolution.
You could try the venerable Slide Show to Go (details here), which now has a Ken Burns effect, and you can drag and drop file selections fro XnView into its layout window. SSTG is not to everyone's taste, but it does the basics of full screen slide shows pretty well. At $25 ($20 for the version without MPEG2 encoding) it's good value, but not as good as XnView!