Select file from search results when switching between modes

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckv

Select file from search results when switching between modes

Post by ckv »

When you switch between browser and viewer (with a Switching mode shortcut, Ctrl+B, Toolbar Button...) XnView will select the viewed file in browser mode when you switch from viewer to browser. This is a feature that I find often useful, except when search results are displayed in the browser window.

When you view a file from the browser search results, and then switch from that image view back to browser (using Switching mode shortcut, Ctrl+B, Toolbar Button...), XnView clears the search results from the browser and then selects the file from its home directory. Almost every time I do this I would have wanted to continue work on the search results instead, and I have to do the search again. I have to make a conscious effort not to use the shortcut key to switch between modes when I have search results open in the browser.

My suggestion is to select the file in the browser search results when switching from a file view that was opened from the search results and the Synchronise Browser option is enabled in the options.

Edit: Added other methods to invoke the "select the viewed file in browser" behaviour. Switching between browser and viewer by clicking on tabs or using Ctrl+Tab shortcut does not select the viewed file and neither it should.
Last edited by ckv on Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Select file from search results when switching between modes

Post by xnview »

ckv wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:49 pm My suggestion is to select the file in the browser search results when switching from a file view that was opened from the search results. And maybe even a hidden setting to never clear the search results when switching between modes even when switching from a file that is not in the search results.
Do you have tried this setting Option>Browser>Synchronize?
Pierre.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

EDIT : this answer is for XnViewMP sorry
- Try to unmark this option : Settings>Interface>Interface>Synchronise Browser when view is closed.
Last edited by michel038 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ckv

Post by ckv »

xnview wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:55 am
ckv wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:49 pm My suggestion is to select the file in the browser search results when switching from a file view that was opened from the search results. And maybe even a hidden setting to never clear the search results when switching between modes even when switching from a file that is not in the search results.
That setting doesn't work at all with search results in browser it seems. The selection is not synchronized when switching between modes and the search results are still cleared even when that setting is disabled. But you are right, since that setting already exist there is no need to add a new hidden setting to change the behaviour just in this specific case. :) I edited the original post accordingly.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ckv wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:30 pm That setting doesn't work at all with search results in browser it seems. The selection is not synchronized when switching between modes and the search results are still cleared even when that setting is disabled. But you are right, since that setting already exist there is no need to add a new hidden setting to change the behaviour just in this specific case. :) I edited the original post accordingly.
right, i'll fix it
Pierre.