Treat ZIP and RAR like folders...

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TsunamiZ

Treat ZIP and RAR like folders...

Post by TsunamiZ »

Please add support to view and thumbnail image files inside ZIP and RAR [even if archive is passworded]. Have ZIP and RAR treated like folders.

BTW: I noticed WinZip 10 allows this functionality in Windows Explorer. Can XnView support this too? Thanks.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

For RAR archives, I doubt you can do this with UnRAR.DLL so I'd say it's out of the question.
I'm a registered WinRAR user and I'd know :)

Pierre, should be able to use 7-Zip's "LZMA SDK" for the ZIP side of things.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
helmut

Post by helmut »

(Standard answer):
XnView does not support browsing of archives. The fully commercial version, XnView DeLuxe, does support ZIP, CAB, RAR, and ACE archives.

This has been requested before (search for "archive* ZIP"):

- ZIP support
- Zip file support
- Reading pictures from zip, rar, tgz archives
- parcourt d'images contenues dans une archive ? (French)
- Browse ZIP files and autofit
SimpleViewer

Post by SimpleViewer »

Well, I just downloaded the XnViewDeluxe, but it is too big... And I don't like bloated software. I don't need all those PDF, photo editing, and many thing like that.. I just need a simple, quick, fast browser to find an image..

Can't you make that into the free version? Just archive browsing functionality would be okay.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

SimpleViewer wrote:Well, I just downloaded the XnViewDeluxe, but it is too big... And I don't like bloated software. I don't need all those PDF, photo editing, and many thing like that.. I just need a simple, quick, fast browser to find an image..

Can't you make that into the free version? Just archive browsing functionality would be okay.
Soon :-)
Pierre.
Stitscher

Post by Stitscher »

xnview wrote:
SimpleViewer wrote:Well, I just downloaded the XnViewDeluxe, but it is too big... And I don't like bloated software. I don't need all those PDF, photo editing, and many thing like that.. I just need a simple, quick, fast browser to find an image..

Wow! :shock: :D
Fantastic news, really!
THX!!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:

Great! :)

What archives will be supported? Zip and also 7-Zip, Rar...? I don't care about Rar too much, since I like 7-Zip, it's even better (and much better) than Rar and it's free.
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

uh great.
and again perfect for viewing comics!
please add an option like open archive directly in fullscreen with 2 images showing side by side :mrgreen:.
FlorianH

Post by FlorianH »

herr_k. wrote:uh great.
and again perfect for viewing comics!
please add an option like open archive directly in fullscreen with 2 images showing side by side :mrgreen:.
I think this would really be a special option (not for the 'mass-market'). If there will be archive-support and this request is implemented, you should get what you want (without any special option)...
osiris2258

Re: Treat ZIP and RAR like folders...

Post by osiris2258 »

Still waiting for this functionality.