Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
lascetic
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by lascetic » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi, I just tried to install the 2.48 version and got the following error message during installation.

Image

What I have tried: Uninstalled older version, cleaned leftover registry keys, restarted PC, re-installed with all apps and folders closed. It would always give me the same message. Version 2.47 installs without issues.

Please advice.

I have windows 10 home x64

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30875
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by xnview » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm

if you press on Ignore?
Pierre.

lascetic
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by lascetic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:55 pm

xnview wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm
if you press on Ignore?
What will happen with XnViewShellExt.dll?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30875
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by xnview » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 pm

lascetic wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:55 pm
xnview wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm
if you press on Ignore?
What will happen with XnViewShellExt.dll?
It seems that you need to reboot your system, and try again
Pierre.

lascetic
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by lascetic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:26 am

xnview wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 pm
lascetic wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:55 pm
xnview wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm
if you press on Ignore?
What will happen with XnViewShellExt.dll?
It seems that you need to reboot your system, and try again
I have tried that. Same message. Doesn't happen with previous version.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30875
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by xnview » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm

lascetic wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:26 am
I have tried that. Same message. Doesn't happen with previous version.
2.47?
Pierre.

lascetic
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by lascetic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 pm

xnview wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm
lascetic wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:26 am
I have tried that. Same message. Doesn't happen with previous version.
2.47?
Yes 2.47 installs fine.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30875
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by xnview » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm

lascetic wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 pm
Yes 2.47 installs fine.
I can't reproduce on Windows 10 x64.

Do you use XnViewShellEx? Do you have installed before the standalone XnShellEx package?
The version of ShellEx in the XnView package is for Windows 32bits not 64bits
Pierre.

lascetic
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by lascetic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:54 pm

xnview wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm
lascetic wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 pm
Yes 2.47 installs fine.
I can't reproduce on Windows 10 x64.

Do you use XnViewShellEx? Do you have installed before the standalone XnShellEx package?
The version of ShellEx in the XnView package is for Windows 32bits not 64bits
I didn't have it when all these happened, but because of this issue, I looked it up and installed separately the x64 to try it. But as I said all the issues where present before separately installing it.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30875
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by xnview » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:21 am

could you try to re-download the 2.48 setup, and install it?
Pierre.

lascetic
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Post by lascetic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:27 pm

xnview wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:21 am
could you try to re-download the 2.48 setup, and install it?
Hi and sorry for the late response (I have been really busy). Although, I had already tried downloading the installer again and hadn't worked, this time it worked and the installation completed successfully. I don't know if the installer was changed or if by installing XnViewShellEx separately helped. Thanks a lot for your help.

Post Reply