Is Classic newsgroup dead?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

crazytb

Is newsgroup dead?

Post by crazytb »

Is the old newsgroup dead? I like to get messages using my news client, which gets all new messages at once, automatically, and I can read them offline, if I want.

phpBB is a good forum, and it is much easier for most users, but I still prefer an actual newsgroup. For my dial-up connection, it will be much more fast and easy.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Is newsgroup dead?

Post by xnview »

crazytb wrote:Is the old newsgroup dead? I like to get messages using my news client, which gets all new messages at once, automatically, and I can read them offline, if I want.
No, but currently the zoo-logique newsgroup have problems with swen virus!
helmut

Post by helmut »

... Is newsgroup dead? ...
Thanks for asking this question - think other "long-term" newsgroup members also wonder why there is this web-based newsgroup and the news reader based newsgroups on

[url=news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.english]news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.english[/url]
[url=news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.dev]news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.dev[/url]

User: zoo Login: entrer

As you know, Zoologique, the hoster of the newsreader based newsgroup added a login to this newsgroup due to the Virus Swen. Pierre and I think that the login and the more complicated setup of the newsreader will prevent many novice users from using the other newsgroup, which would be a pity.

So we decided to introduce this web-based newsgroup. For technical reasons, both newsgroups cannot use the same data, therefore we have separate newsgroups with completely separate postings. Like you and other users, Pierre prefers the newsreader based newsgroup. So both the newsreader-based and this newsgroups will be supported in future.

Pierre, Sören, and I hope that this works out and hope that this is benefit for all users.

Would be good if people who want to contribute to the newsgroups could support both types of newsgroups.
Last edited by helmut on Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
soeren
Site Admin

Post by soeren »

helmut wrote: [...]
So we decided to introduce this web-based newsgroup. For technical reasons, both newsgroups cannot use the same data, therefore we have separate newsgroups with completely separate postings. Like you and other users, Pierre prefers the newsreader based newsgroup. So both the newsreader-based and this newsgroups will be supported in future.

[...]
Hi, I support XnView with providing the main file mirror (xnview.asos-clan.de) and the server for this web-based newsgroup. I "introduced" the idea of a web-based news group to Helmut an Pierre some two weeks ago when Helmut told me about the problems with the 'locked' nntp-based newsgroup.
Although for the experienced user newsgroups offer some advantages, esp. automatical downloads the hosted newsgroups has the major drawback, that it expires all old messages after 30 days. This will result in the same questions getting posted and posted again as new users of the newsgroup will not be able to read older messages where their questions might have been answered already. A message archiver and browser like google-groups would help greatly, but it doens't exists for this group.
By setting up this web-based forum there is virtually no reason for purging old messages. So with aging of this forum the old messages can be greatly used as kind of "knowledge pool", something that lacks currently totally in the old newsgroup. That's probably the main reason for setting up the forum ,-))

BTW: I wouldn't mind to have a 2-way-gateway between this forum and a NNTP server. So if anyone volunteers for this, go on ,-))

cheerio,
Soeren