XnView Shell Extension (Support & Development)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Danny wrote:And here the big question: how do i get rid of it after installation without deleting xnview itself along with it?
Good question. There should be a possibility to enable/disable install/uninstall "SE" also for ZIP version, since there is SE but most users don't know about it and how to install it.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Two BAT\CMD files could be written to do this...

An example - Install_win2k.cmd

@echo off
cls
c:\winnt\system32\regsvr32.exe "c:\program files\xnview\xnviewshellext.dll"
exit

An example - Uninstall_win2k.cmd

@echo off
cls
c:\winnt\system32\regsvr32.exe /u "c:\program files\xnview\xnviewshellext.dll"
exit
Last edited by ckit on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob3150

Maybe future feature

Post by bob3150 »

Hello,

I found today a nice tool which can create 16x16 or 32x32 icons in Explorer of some picture formats (link: http://xentient.com/products/thumbnails/). But it is limited in file formats so a nice feature would be use this functionality with XnView which supports a lot more formats.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

ckit wrote:Two BAT\CMD files could be written to do this...
Thanks, it works, but most 'ZIP' users don't know about it. Maybe xnview could generate such files at least...

ckit, what about some command to not show dialog and auto-close window? I think it is possible, but don't know how.

For Windows XP:

Code: Select all

XnShellEx_Install_WinXP.cmd

@echo off
cls
C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\XnView\XnViewShellExt.dll"
exit

XnShellEx_Uninstall_WinXP.cmd

@echo off
cls
C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files\XnView\XnViewShellExt.dll"
exit

Post by Guest »

I have question

i want use this shell extension render in explorer when i choose thubnail view. In windows xp it doesnt work it work only in contex menu.

In windows 2000 it work fine - when i choose view as thubmnails in explorer it show all file formats that xnview support.

I try unregister xp media preview - but in xp it doest work.

Any help ? Please

TOmas
i am a guest

Re: How about a submenu?

Post by i am a guest »

notnoisy wrote:I would prefer to view the thumbnail in a submenu. Is it possible to get this as an option?

My explorer context-menu is becoming a bit long :)
I would appreciate a thumbnail in a submenu also, not forever, but as an option to toggle between viewing in submenu or normal.

Would be great.
I love this program btw, keep up the good work.

Greetings.
i.a.a.guest.
i am a guest

Post by i am a guest »

Anonymous wrote:I have question

i want use this shell extension render in explorer when i choose thubnail view. In windows xp it doesnt work it work only in contex menu.

In windows 2000 it work fine - when i choose view as thubmnails in explorer it show all file formats that xnview support.

I try unregister xp media preview - but in xp it doest work.

Any help ? Please

TOmas
i am not sure if you mean the preview of pictures?!
if you mean this, try "regsvr32 shimgvw.dll" by Start -> Run
This repairs the preview of pictures by windows-xp-picture-&fax-routines.

in case you are not sure, try google-ing for "regsvr32 shimgvw.dll"

Hope i could help.

i.a.a.guest
riemenschneider

Re: How about a submenu?

Post by riemenschneider »

mika99 wrote:If you right click on a Nikon D70 NEF raw file the shell extension locks the explorer for some seconds an then crashes (the explorer).

Is it as a workaround possible to exclude this file type?
I never experienced that problem... until today. It happened when doing a right click on my Nikon Coolpix 5700 raw files. I remenberd that I did some tests with the current beta versions 1.90 b1 and b2. In the Windows XP registry ne path to the xnviewshellext.dll was the path of my unzipped xnview-betas! So I downloaded and installed the XnViewShellExtension again. That overwrote the registry values. Now everything works fine again!

riemenschneider
stein

XnView Shell extension RAR or ZIP available?

Post by stein »

I really need to be able to help others in my office get work done with this great shell extension but our ITS prevents .exe downloads.

Does anyone have a working link to a modern version of the shell extension installer in a ZIP, TAR or RAR form?

Thanks to anyone who could help.
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

It comes with the main Xnview package; the installer is just a convenience. You just have to open Run from the start menu, and type

regsvr32 "c:\program files\xnview\xnviewshellext.dll"

(assuming that's where xnview is installed, modify as necessary.)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnView Shell extension

Post by xnview »

The 1.6.1 is available, you can now convert more than 1 file!
Pierre.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Thanks, Pierre!
If anyone wants a RAR or ZIP version, PM me your email address :)

The Installer messes up badly, installs into \ShellEx and doesn't overwrite the xnviewshellext.dll in the main folder. Avoid the installer people!
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ckit wrote:Thanks, Pierre!
If anyone wants a RAR or ZIP version, PM me your email address :)

The Installer messes up badly, installs into \ShellEx and doesn't overwrite the xnviewshellext.dll in the main folder. Avoid the installer people!
I'll put a zip version on the website
Pierre.
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

ckit wrote:The Installer messes up badly, installs into \ShellEx and doesn't overwrite the xnviewshellext.dll in the main folder. Avoid the installer people!
As long as it registers the proper file that shouldn't matter. Of course it'd be nice if it at least deleted the old one while it was doing so.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

It can't register the proper file cause the old v1.6.0.0 is a locked process, the installer should be able to unlock the process, kill the task, delete the file and install the newer one.

Anyway I've been disabling the shell extension, logging out of Windows and doing it manually which still seems to be the only way.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys