Paint plugin v1.0

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Drahken

Post by Drahken »

I have paint.xnp (156k) and paint.lng (1.23k) in the addons folder.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Drahken wrote:I have paint.xnp (156k) and paint.lng (1.23k) in the addons folder.
Do you have reloaded it?
Pierre.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

So... you're the one who wrote all those "if there is no picture or sound, make sure you have turned the tv on" manuals. :p
Of course I reloaded xnview after installing the plugin, and I have reopened xnview several times since then, and still nothing. Is it possible that the paint plugin only works with the most recent version of xnview? Can anyone get it to work on RC3?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Drahken wrote:So... you're the one who wrote all those "if there is no picture or sound, make sure you have turned the tv on" manuals. :p
Of course I reloaded xnview after installing the plugin, and I have reopened xnview several times since then, and still nothing. Is it possible that the paint plugin only works with the most recent version of xnview? Can anyone get it to work on RC3?
Oh, Paint plugin works only with the 1.90.3!
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:Oh, Paint plugin works only with the 1.90.3!
That's important to know. I've just added a note in the initial post.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Yeah, that is kinda important to know. ;)
I don't generally bother with incremental updates for software, I only update when the new version fixes a bug that bothered me or adds a feature I wanted.
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Pierre,

Thanks very much for the Paint functionality! This is a great start and is very handy already for making notations on images. (I love the vector approach!)

Naturally some thoughts on possible improvements:

1. It would be great to be able to save out the vector overlay to a file so you could load and edit the vector notations again later.

2. I would love to see the spinners and numeric increments have some sort of a quick slider that would let you 'dial in' numbers. (For example to quickly change opacity from 100% to 75% without having to type it in).

3. Whenever I hit 'Enter' to enter a value, the entire Paint window closes. I would like it NOT to close until the user clicks the 'OK' button.

4. It would improve the look greatly to be able to have the vector objects rendered into the image with anti-aliasing (if possible).

5. Obviously the ability to change the order of the vector objects (back, front, push, pull, etc.).

Thanks again for this great tool!
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Truly Media
http://www.trulymedia.com
helmut

Post by helmut »

Mike Truly wrote:5. Obviously the ability to change the order of the vector objects (back, front, push, pull, etc.).
"Move on Back" and "Move on Front" is available in the context menu (right mouse click).

Note:
"Move on Back/Front" sounds like strange English to me. I'll post a request in the translation section.
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Helmut,

Thanks for this tip! I had not found the Move to Back, Move to Front functionality.

Thanks again.
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Truly Media
http://www.trulymedia.com
helmut

Post by helmut »

Mike Truly wrote:Thanks for this tip! I had not found the Move to Back, Move to Front functionality.
The context menu is a bit hidden and some people might not know. Perhaps toolbar buttons could be added but too many toolbar buttons are no good, either. Personally I'd vote for "No toolbar buttons for Move to Front / Back".
Clo
XnThusiast

No menu

Post by Clo »

—> helmut

• Hi !

• I don't get any local right-click menu anywhere in the tool…

• I guess it's related to a hitch I reported for the 1.90.x versions : It's getting difficult (for me at least)
to catch the local menu in View mode, often I have to right-click several times,
I get rather the grab-hand cursor (I use it) prior… :|

• It's quite irritating…

:mrgreen: G.
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Paint - Quick open/close/apply/save suggestions

Post by Dreamer »

I suggest to make a single hotkey to open Paint, but also close - and automatically apply (and save) changes. I'm not sure if P is right hotkey for this.

Another suggestion - Option to automatically apply / save changes on close (by Escape or [X] button).

There should be an option to control these options - if it should be applied, applied and saved, or not applied.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Paint - Size and position of Paint window

Post by Dreamer »

Size and position of Paint window should be saved on close. Default window size (and position) could be perhaps the same as Viewer XnView window.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Paint - Keyboard shortcuts

Post by Dreamer »

Several standard keyboard shortcuts are missing in Paint (some already mentioned, but not all).

Zoom in - +
Zoom out - -
Undo - Ctrl+Z
Redo - Ctrl+Y?
"Color information" * - hold Ctrl (+click)
Add text - Shift+T
Original size - Num *
Fit to window - Num /
and others...

* - it should be Colour, I think.
Dreamer
Clo
XnThusiast

More tools

Post by Clo »

:) Hello All !

• Despite pretty lacunæ, bugs and whatever annoyances with the Paint tool, I'm testing it still,
especially in order to update our Manual (should be used for the official Help too…)

• Like this has been pointed out here already, storing all retouchs as one go from the [OK] button is quite inconvenient.
- A selection - usual plus “Lasso” - and a pen¦cil are also missing…

• Hence, I would propose to complete the tools like shown below :

• It should be desirable IMO to add icons at the right side, because it's instinctive to use frequently
and also to avoid I would have to change the whole “map” I made in the Manual :P

• What do you think ? Image

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice